Please Need someone's help

Amar

I am a system programmer , doing my program in C/RedHat LINUX ES4.0
version. I want to do concurrent programming in C , which will utilise
my system's 4 processor simutaneously.
I need some one's help to proceed.
Looking for early reply.
Amartya

Ian Collins

Amar said:
I am a system programmer , doing my program in C/RedHat LINUX ES4.0
version. I want to do concurrent programming in C , which will utilise
my system's 4 processor simutaneously.
I need some one's help to proceed.
Looking for early reply.

The standard C library doesn't have thread support.

Ask on either a linux programming group, or if you have more general
questions about threading, comp.programming.threads.

santosh

Amar said:
I am a system programmer , doing my program in C/RedHat LINUX ES4.0
version. I want to do concurrent programming in C , which will utilise
my system's 4 processor simutaneously.
I need some one's help to proceed.
Looking for early reply.
Amartya

Get a good book on concurrency and threads and read it. Find out what
facilities your system provides for concurrency, (hint: most Linux'es
provide multi-threading with pthreads).

The C language itself knows nothing about threads or multiple
processes and provides no facilities for concurrency. You'd be better
of asking in groups like comp.programming.threads or
comp.os.linux.programming.apps etc. Do read the groups FAQ before
posting.

Keith Thompson

Amar said:
I am a system programmer , doing my program in C/RedHat LINUX ES4.0
version. I want to do concurrent programming in C , which will utilise
my system's 4 processor simutaneously.
I need some one's help to proceed.

Standard C doesn't provide any support for concurrent programming.
Ask in comp.unix.programmer or one of the Linux groups.

Malcolm McLean

Amar said:
I am a system programmer , doing my program in C/RedHat LINUX ES4.0
version. I want to do concurrent programming in C , which will utilise
my system's 4 processor simutaneously.
I need some one's help to proceed.
Looking for early reply.
Amartya
Threads won't help much. Threads are for running two calculations on one
processor, whilst you want to run one calculation on two processors.

The standard interface for parallel programming is MPI. There is an ng
devoted to it. Though the C interface to MPI is a natural one to use, it is
classed as an extension and thus not topical here. That might have to change
since MPI is not strictly a library and throws up some compiler and stdlib
issues.

There is an MPI tuitorial on my website.

Ian Collins

Malcolm said:
Threads won't help much. Threads are for running two calculations on one
processor, whilst you want to run one calculation on two processors.
Where did the OP state that?

santosh

Malcolm said:
Threads won't help much. Threads are for running two calculations on one
processor, whilst you want to run one calculation on two processors.

No, threads can be distributively scheduled among multiple processors.

<snip>

Randy Howard

I am a system programmer , doing my program in C/RedHat LINUX ES4.0
version. I want to do concurrent programming in C , which will utilise
my system's 4 processor simutaneously.
I need some one's help to proceed.
Looking for early reply.

I suggest David Butenhof's excellent book on Posix Pthreads, and
comp.programming.threads as backup to it.

Randy Howard

Threads won't help much. Threads are for running two calculations on one
processor, whilst you want to run one calculation on two processors.

This is completely incorrect.
The standard interface for parallel programming is MPI.

I detect a bias, but even bias doesn't explain wrong answers that well.