    5) Java Design: Objects, UML, and Process by Kirk Knoernschild
    6) Object-Oriented Software Engineering: Using UML, Patterns and Java, Second Edition by Bernd Bruegge
    7) Software Architecture Design Patterns in Java by Partha Kuchana
    metfan, Nov 29, 2004

  2. metfan wrote:
    > I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend
    > one, which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.
    >
    > 1) Design Patterns Java Workbook by Steven John Metsker
    > 2) Applied Java Patterns by Stephen A. Stelting
    > 3) Java Design Patterns: A Tutorial by James William Cooper
    > 4) Patterns in Java: A Catalog of Reusable Design Patterns Illustrated
    > with UML, 2nd Edition, Volume 1 by Mark Grand
    > 5) Java Design: Objects, UML, and Process by Kirk Knoernschild
    > 6) Object-Oriented Software Engineering: Using UML, Patterns and Java,
    > Second Edition by Bernd Bruegge
    > 7) Software Architecture Design Patterns in Java by Partha Kuchana

    I'm reading 'Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on
    Object-Oriented Design by Alan Shalloway and James J. Trott'
    (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321247140/454/202-5176811-2159833).
    It's very good, easy to understand, clearly explained examples and Java
    code to illustrate the examples.

    Pan
    TechBookReport http://www.techbookreport.com
    TechBookReport, Nov 29, 2004

  3. metfan wrote:
    > I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend
    > one, which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.

    Why not start with the classic:

    Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides: Design Patterns. Elements of Reusable
    Object-Oriented Software.

    /Thomas
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Nov 29, 2004
  4. metfan

    Ann Guest

    "metfan" <qjzhupublic@__nospam__yahoo.ie> wrote in message
    > I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend one,

    which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.

    > 1) Design Patterns Java Workbook by Steven John Metsker
    > 2) Applied Java Patterns by Stephen A. Stelting
    > 3) Java Design Patterns: A Tutorial by James William Cooper
    > 4) Patterns in Java: A Catalog of Reusable Design Patterns Illustrated

    with UML, 2nd Edition, Volume 1 by Mark Grand
    > 5) Java Design: Objects, UML, and Process by Kirk Knoernschild
    > 6) Object-Oriented Software Engineering: Using UML, Patterns and Java,

    Second Edition by Bernd Bruegge
    > 7) Software Architecture Design Patterns in Java by Partha Kuchana

    Two general techniques:
    1. look in your library and assume they order the good books
    2. look for a book that is less than 1 year old
    Ann, Nov 29, 2004
  5. metfan

    Guest

    >> I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend
    >> one, which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.

    >Why not start with the classic:
    >
    >Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides: Design Patterns. Elements of Reusable
    >Object-Oriented Software.

    Because it's very abstract and hard to understand, imho.
    , Nov 30, 2004
  6. metfan

    Chris Uppal Guest

    wrote:

    > > Why not start with the classic:
    > >
    > > Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides: Design Patterns. Elements of Reusable
    > > Object-Oriented Software.

    > Because it's very abstract and hard to understand, imho.

    You surprise me.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Nov 30, 2004
  7. metfan

    Guest

    In article <GqIqd.415475$wV.31870@attbi_s54>, Ann <> wrote:

    >"metfan" <qjzhupublic@__nospam__yahoo.ie> wrote in message
    >> I searched Amazon and it came out a list, could you please recommend one,

    >which one is of the best for a mid-level programmer? Thanks.
    >>
    >> 1) Design Patterns Java Workbook by Steven John Metsker
    >> 2) Applied Java Patterns by Stephen A. Stelting
    >> 3) Java Design Patterns: A Tutorial by James William Cooper
    >> 4) Patterns in Java: A Catalog of Reusable Design Patterns Illustrated

    >with UML, 2nd Edition, Volume 1 by Mark Grand
    >> 5) Java Design: Objects, UML, and Process by Kirk Knoernschild
    >> 6) Object-Oriented Software Engineering: Using UML, Patterns and Java,

    >Second Edition by Bernd Bruegge
    >> 7) Software Architecture Design Patterns in Java by Partha Kuchana

    >Two general techniques:
    >1. look in your library and assume they order the good books
    >2. look for a book that is less than 1 year old

    Technique #2 seems a bit suspect, as it would seem to argue against,
    for example, the three volumes (so far) of Knuth.

    (Yes, there's a valid point to be made about choosing the newer
    book when there are several choices that are otherwise equal. But
    how often that's the case .... )

    --
    | B. L. Massingill
    | ObDisclaimer: I don't speak for my employers; they return the favor.
    , Nov 30, 2004
  8. Thomas Weidenfeller, Nov 30, 2004
  9. metfan

    Guest

    >>>Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides: Design Patterns. Elements of
    >>>Reusable Object-Oriented Software.

    >> Because it's very abstract and hard to understand, imho.

    >Are you serious?

    Yes. It's way too abstract for me.

    When reading this book, I was constantly thinking to myself, 'that sounds all
    very fine, but what has this to do (or how can this ever be really useful) for
    an average, real-life application ?..'

    After reading several chapters, I got so frustated with it that I put the book
    away.

    I'm sorry, I know that 'everybody' thinks this is THE book on design patterns,
    but it just doesn't work for me.

    I really would like to get a grip on design patterns and I have now ordered
    'Head First Design Patterns'. I hope this book will be more 'accessible' to me.
    , Nov 30, 2004
  10. metfan

    Rex Guo Guest

    Rex Guo, Nov 30, 2004