Please recommend a good book for me

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Alan Silver, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    Hello,

    I am a seasoned Classic ASP programmer who is interested in learning
    ASP.NET. I
    bought a book (Que's Special Edition Using ASP.NET) which is complete
    rubbish, and would like a recommendation of something better.

    I have a very basic idea of how ASP.NET works having spent a couple of
    days playing with it, but it's still a large amount of fog with only a
    little clarity. I would like something that explains what's going on
    whilst doing examples, not just one that says "click here and type
    this" without explanation.

    I have Microsoft's ASP.NET Resource Kit CD, which is good as far as it
    goes, but is lacking in explanation and (a lot of it) requires Visual
    Studio.NET which I don't have. I completed a complex tutorial, but
    then got stuck when trying to add a fairly simple feature. I realised
    that I didn't really understand what I had done, and so couldn't
    extend the tutorial. I also have the .NET SDK, but the sheer volume of
    material is overwhelming, and I would like to concentrate on ASP.NET
    for the moment. I also prefer books to reading on screen.

    I would like a book that concentrates on C#, although I don't mind a
    dual-language one with VB.NET as well.

    Please feel free to make any recommendations.

    Alan Silver, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Alan Silver

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Since you don't have VS.Net you might try the free Web Matrix which is
    really really good.
    http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default.aspx?tabIndex=4&tabId=46

    Following that theme you might want a ASP.Net Web Matrix book, I can't
    recommend any, but there are plenty out there
    http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-0764543741.html for
    example.

    I learnt on ASP.Net Unleashed years ago....it's an average book....

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Alan Silver

    WJ Guest

    > Hello,

    Nothing beats on-hand trainning regardless of how many good books you read.
    If you are serious or your company is, I would recommend you to attend a
    certified training course on this subject! Although I have seen some peoples
    doing very well without going to formal classes.

    John

    WJ, Jan 10, 2005
  4. I bought Professional ASP.NET 1.1 published by Wrox a couple of months ago
    and which I have found very useful.

    HMK

    =?Utf-8?B?SE1L?=, Jan 11, 2005
  5. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >I bought Professional ASP.NET 1.1 published by Wrox a couple of months
    >ago and which I have found very useful.

    Thanks, I'll check it out.

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >Since you don't have VS.Net you might try the free Web Matrix which is
    >really really good.
    >http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/default.aspx?tabIndex=4&tabId=46

    Got it already thanks. I have been through the tutorials, but they are
    fairly basic (as are most of the tutorials I've seen). I was looking for
    something to help me take the step to real world programming instead of
    simple basic examples.

    >Following that theme you might want a ASP.Net Web Matrix book, I can't
    >recommend any, but there are plenty out there
    >http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/productCd-0764543741.html for
    >example.
    >
    >I learnt on ASP.Net Unleashed years ago....it's an average book....

    Thanks, I already bought a lousy book, average is beating my first
    attempt!!

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >> Hello,
    >>

    >Nothing beats on-hand trainning regardless of how many good books you read.
    >If you are serious or your company is, I would recommend you to attend a
    >certified training course on this subject! Although I have seen some peoples
    >doing very well without going to formal classes.

    Ah, therin lies the rub (as I believe Will once said). I am a
    self-employed developer, I don't work for a company. I can't afford the
    time or money for training courses. That's why I'm looking for books.

    I actually find that well-written books can often be better than
    training courses as you can go at your own pace. The one thing you miss
    is the peer-to-peer experience, but that's where Usenet comes in!!

    Thanks for the reply

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Jan 11, 2005
  8. re:
    > I was looking for something to help me take the step to real world
    > programming instead of simple basic examples.

    You might be interested in trying out Visual Web Developer.

    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/default.aspx

    ASP.NET 2.0 is not so far away, and right about now
    is a great time to start familiarizing yourself with it,
    so that when the product is released, later this year,
    you'll be favorably positioned to work with it.

    VWD is like a "Mini-Visual Studio" which focuses
    exclusively on ASP.NET 2.0 Web Development.

    I have a feeling you'll like it. ;-)

    ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1 won't be around for much longer
    after 2.0 is released ( and even if they are, 2.0 brings
    with it many improvements over them ).

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 11, 2005
  9. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >re:
    >> I was looking for something to help me take the step to real world
    >> programming instead of simple basic examples.

    >You might be interested in trying out Visual Web Developer.
    >
    > http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/default.aspx

    Thanks, looks interesting. I'll have to spend some time reading that
    large amount of material first!!

    Do you know if I need SQL Express, or can I use the existing
    installation of SQL Server 2000 that's on my development machine?
    There's no point in installing more stuff that I don't need if SQL
    Server 2000 will do fine.

    >ASP.NET 2.0 is not so far away, and right about now
    >is a great time to start familiarizing yourself with it,
    >so that when the product is released, later this year,
    >you'll be favorably positioned to work with it.

    How different is it? I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time looking
    at current ASP.NET stuff is 2.0 is going to make it all out of date. Are
    there any books on ASP.NET 2.0?

    Thanks for the reply.

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Jan 11, 2005
  10. re:
    > Do you know if I need SQL Express

    VWD's database explorer works
    fine with SQL Server 2000.

    re:
    > How different is it? I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time looking at
    > current ASP.NET stuff is 2.0 is going to make it all out of date.

    It's not all going to go away overnight, but soon enough,
    anyway. Nothing is a waste of time, but there's a lot of
    little things which can trip you going from 1.1 to 2.0.

    The current thread on the user account is a perfect example.

    In 1.1, it's ASPNET. In 2.0 it's the Network Service account.

    And there's many class changes. Classes which are gone;
    other classes which have been modified; and totally new
    classes which don't exist in 1.1.

    re:
    >Are there any books on ASP.NET 2.0?

    There's several.

    Dino Esposito's "Introducing Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0",
    Microsoft Press, ISBN 0735620245
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735620245/103-6455790-8738201?v=glance

    Homer, Sussman and Howard wrote
    "A First Look at ASP.NET v 2.0"

    You can download sample chapters at
    http://www.asp.net/whidbey/ , where you'll also have
    access to another boatload of ASP.NET 2.0 info :)

    Patrick Lorenz wrote "ASP.NET 2.0 Revealed"

    There's a few more at
    http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=ASP.NET 2.0 books

    Good luck!

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 11, 2005
  11. Alan Silver

    Alan Silver Guest

    >> How different is it? I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time looking at
    >> current ASP.NET stuff is 2.0 is going to make it all out of date.

    >It's not all going to go away overnight, but soon enough,
    >anyway. Nothing is a waste of time, but there's a lot of
    >little things which can trip you going from 1.1 to 2.0.

    <snip>
    >re:
    >>Are there any books on ASP.NET 2.0?

    <snip>

    Phew, looks like I have some serious reading ahead of me!!

    Do you have any experience of these books? What worries me a little is
    that they are all (logically) aimed at people who know 1.1 well. I'm a
    rank beginner at ASP.NET, so these books might be beyond me. I could do
    with something that will teach me the basics as well. Not sure if I'm
    going to find anything like that yet.

    Any suggestions?

    >Good luck!

    Thanks, looks like I'm going to need it ;-)

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Jan 11, 2005
  12. Alan Silver