Please recommend Web Hosting services

iMac Lover

I am interesting in setting up a personal website for business purposes.
Please suggest affordable web hosting services. I have heard of Fatcow,
however, I have no knowledge of its business practices. Is it worthy?

iMac G4 user

saz

I am interesting in setting up a personal website for business purposes.
Please suggest affordable web hosting services. I have heard of Fatcow,
however, I have no knowledge of its business practices. Is it worthy?

iMac G4 user
I would recommend www.page-zone.com

david.hunter

I'll second page-zone.com - they rock.
Have been with them for a couple of years and have a few domains over
there.

bPstyles

iMac Lover said:
I am interesting in setting up a personal website for business purposes.
Please suggest affordable web hosting services. I have heard of Fatcow,
however, I have no knowledge of its business practices. Is it worthy?

I don't know if there is a better solution that affordablehost.com

For starters, they have a completely no-strings attached free hosting plan
(50mb, 500mb bandwidth, no POP, 10 email forwards, ftp). No ads, no other
limitations, no charges at all. Furthermore, they have teh best support I
have ever seen in the form of phone support, quick email, and an 18-hour irc
chat room where people actually answer you. To be truthful, i feel like I
am in heaven when I deal with them.

The reason they offer the free service - and this came straight from the
owner of the company, Karen - is that they are so confident in their
services that people always upgrade to the pay programs (which are
inexpensive too). She was right, I did.

http://affordablehost.com/cpanel.shtml <-- prices

They are also extremely flexible. I needed a plan where I can get up to 200
gigs of bandwidth only three months out of the year (I run a sports video
game review site and when the Madden football games come out in August, my
traffic goes nuts (last year, it went from an average of 500 a day to 75,000
in one day) and then subsides. So, I am going to set up a plan where I use
my normal hosting plan (the "Single E" at $19.95) and then get a modified
plan for August, Sept, Oct.

I recommend these guys to everyone.

Duende

While sitting in a puddle bPstyles scribbled in the mud:
I don't know if there is a better solution that affordablehost.com

For starters, they have a completely no-strings attached free hosting
plan (50mb, 500mb bandwidth, no POP, 10 email forwards, ftp). No ads,
no other limitations, no charges at all. Furthermore, they have teh
best support I have ever seen in the form of phone support, quick email,
and an 18-hour irc chat room where people actually answer you. To be
truthful, i feel like I am in heaven when I deal with them.

The reason they offer the free service - and this came straight from the
owner of the company, Karen

Just wait until Tina learns that Karen now owns affordablehost.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Duende said:
While sitting in a puddle bPstyles scribbled in the mud:

Just wait until Tina learns that Karen now owns affordablehost.

Heh...I've been called worse. ;-)

--Tina

bPstyles

Duende said:
While sitting in a puddle bPstyles scribbled in the mud:

Just wait until Tina learns that Karen now owns affordablehost.

LOL! My bad. She was helpful, too!

bPstyles

Tina - AffordableHOST said:
Heh...I've been called worse. ;-)

There you are! I can't tell enough people about you guys. I am actually
looking forward to paying more money! The chat room set-up absolutely
rules. When I was chatting with someone in there about special plans, I
didn't have to wait on goddamned hold and listen to cheesy music. :)

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
I don't know if there is a better solution that affordablehost.com

For 50-megs/freebie use, Discount-Hosting offers PHP and mySql for $10 per year
whereas affordable does not include PHP/MySql in their freebie account.

OTOH, Discount wants your entire domain. You can't just point the web record
there and the email elswhere. Affordable lets you pick and choose.

I signed up with Discount and gave them my ten bucks bc I wanted to be able to
dabble in PHP/MySql, but did not immediately want the larger account that would
have been needed on Affordable.

Once my "real" web site exceeds Discount's 50 megs, I think I'll move it to an
AffordableHost $60 per year account - if only bc one of their principals
frequents this NG.