Please suggest on the book to follow

Discussion in 'Python' started by santanu, Jan 27, 2005.

  1. santanu

    santanu Guest

    Hi all,

    I know a little python (not the OOP part) learnt by studying the online

    tutorial. Now I would like to learn it more thoroughly.

    I have access to 'Programming Python' which I liked (on flipping
    through the
    pages), but the problem is it deals only with version 2.0 of Phython.

    So, I would be glad if you could suggest me whether it would be really
    a good
    idea to learn from this book. In other words, will I have to unlearn
    too much
    after I complete this book (by the time I am done with this book, I
    believe
    we will be having Python 2.6 or so).

    Please suggest.

    Regards,
    Santanu

    santanu, Jan 27, 2005

  2. santanu

    Fuzzyman Guest

    We've only just had Python 2.4. Based on previous experience that means
    it will be about 18 months before python 2.5.....

    I learned to program from 'Programming Python'. Particularly the stuff
    on Tkinter is very helpful. I don't think you'll have much to
    'unlearn', although obviously there is stuff it doesn't cover (like new
    style classes).
    Regards,

    Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman, Jan 27, 2005

  3. santanu

    Ola Natvig Guest

    santanu wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I know a little python (not the OOP part) learnt by studying the online
    >
    > tutorial. Now I would like to learn it more thoroughly.
    >
    > I have access to 'Programming Python' which I liked (on flipping
    > through the
    > pages), but the problem is it deals only with version 2.0 of Phython.
    >
    > So, I would be glad if you could suggest me whether it would be really
    > a good
    > idea to learn from this book. In other words, will I have to unlearn
    > too much
    > after I complete this book (by the time I am done with this book, I
    > believe
    > we will be having Python 2.6 or so).
    >
    > Please suggest.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Santanu

    I realy would recomend Practival Python it's a wery good book which I
    think it's written for 2.2 or 2.3, but it's got all the basic modern
    python aspects like new style classes.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-9460635-7128701?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    --
    --------------------------------------
    Ola Natvig <>

    Ola Natvig, Jan 27, 2005
  4. Hi,

    Probably the best resources for learning Python are available online.
    Here are a few sites that you might find helpful:

    1. http://byteofpython.info/

    2. http://www.diveintopython.org/ -- Writted by Mark Pilgrim, covers
    many advanced material. The site says /"Dive into Python"/ is a "Python
    book for experienced programmers."

    3. http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/ -- "Site for Text Processing in Python", a
    book by David mertz. You will find many other very good Python related
    material on his website.

    regards,
    Satchit

    ----
    Satchidanand Haridas (sharidas at zeomega dot com)

    ZeOmega (www.zeomega.com)
    Open Minds' Open Solutions

    #20,Rajalakshmi Plaza,
    South End Road,
    Basavanagudi,
    Bangalore-560 004, India

    Satchidanand Haridas, Jan 27, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Fuzzyman <> wrote:
    >We've only just had Python 2.4. Based on previous experience that means
    >it will be about 18 months before python 2.5.....
    >
    >I learned to program from 'Programming Python'. Particularly the stuff
    >on Tkinter is very helpful. I don't think you'll have much to
    >'unlearn', although obviously there is stuff it doesn't cover (like new
    >style classes).

    .
    .
    .
    Python is considerate of programmers. While experience with commercial
    products might lead to an expectation that 2.0 and 2.4 differ greatly,
    in fact it's quite feasible to learn from books aimed at 1.5 or even
    before, and have your results work perfectly well under 2.4.

    Cameron Laird, Jan 27, 2005
  6. santanu

    santanu Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    >From your suggestions, I guess I would have no problems

    learning from Programming Python. I didn't like Core Python
    Programming and such books. I like to read cover to cover
    and the chapters on data structures and such elementary things
    put me to sleep. I already have an idea of those things.
    I have a fair knowledge of C and some Perl.

    >From what you and Fyzzyman said, I guess when I am done with

    Programming Python, graduating to the latest features would
    be quite easy. Isn't it?

    Regards,
    Santanu

    santanu, Jan 27, 2005
  7. santanu

    Guest

    "santanu" <> writes:
    > I know a little python (not the OOP part) learnt by studying the online
    > tutorial. Now I would like to learn it more thoroughly.

    I think there's supposed to be a new version of Python in a Nutshell
    coming. That's a more serious book than Learning Python.

    , Jan 27, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    santanu <> wrote:
    .
    .
    .
    >>From what you and Fyzzyman said, I guess when I am done with

    >Programming Python, graduating to the latest features would
    >be quite easy. Isn't it?

    .
    .
    .
    Yes.

    Cameron Laird, Jan 27, 2005
  9. <> wrote:

    > "santanu" <> writes:
    > > I know a little python (not the OOP part) learnt by studying the online
    > > tutorial. Now I would like to learn it more thoroughly.

    > I think there's supposed to be a new version of Python in a Nutshell

    Just a 2nd edition. I'm just starting to write it. By the time it's
    done and out in print, say six months if you're a VERY optimistic guy,
    I'm pretty sure "santanu" will be an experienced Pythonista and quite
    ready to take advantage, if he chooses, of the Nutshell's 2nd edition as
    a convenient desktop reference, which is its main intended role.

    > coming. That's a more serious book than Learning Python.

    Speaking as the author of the Nutshell, and a TR for Learning, I think
    I'm reasonably unbiased (or, equally biased in favor of both;-), and I
    don't think of Learning as ``less serious'' -- it does have a different
    role, of course.

    If a book whose title is "Learning X" (for any X) does its job well,
    then when you're done with it you can probably put it aside -- as
    Wittgenstein said of the learner, "he must so to speak throw away the
    ladder, after he has climbed up on it".

    A book that is meant mostly as a convenient reference, if _it_ does its
    job, keeps being useful for a longer time. On the other hand, using the
    Nutshell for the purpose of learning Python, while certainly feasible if
    you're well skilled in computer programming (in other languages), may
    not be as easy as using "Learning Python" for that purpose!

    All in all, while I'm of course gladder the more copies of the Nutshell
    are sold, I still think that, for the _learning_ part, most people might
    be better served by "Learning Python" -- or, for that matter, the
    already recommended "Practical Python" (it has many significant
    completely worked-out example programs -- I was a TR for it, too) or
    "Dive into Python" (VERY fast and meant for already-experienced
    programmers -- I wasn't a TR for it, but, my _wife_ was...;-)

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Jan 27, 2005
  10. santanu

    santanu Guest

    Thanks for the link
    http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/

    It was wonderful. Once I get somewhat more experienced in
    Python, I guess this site will provide me with some good
    fun times.

    For the moment, I decided to follow Programming Python.
    Once done, I shall learn the newest features from some
    latest book like the Nutshell one.
    Thanks to all for replying.

    Regards,
    Santanu