Please suggest Open Source Starting Point

Dale Edgar

Hello

I am looking for suggestions for some java open source code to use as
a starting point for a project which we are just about to kick off.

The project is to develop open source cloning software for Oracle
databases. Rather than re-invent the wheel we thought it might be
useful to take an existing package and adapt it. Searches on places
like Sourceforge etc and have turned up a number of likely looking
candidates - so very many! The thought occurred to us that maybe we
are missing something even better. Perhaps you can suggest a couple to
have a look at. Here's most of what we need:

a) Client/Server architecture: client controls the server, kicks off
process

b) File transfer between servers. Perhaps FTP? Are there other fast
options?

c) Ability to manipulate text files on server: search/replace/regex
etc.

Of course the resulting code will be Open Source.

Cheers
Dale