Please take 5-10 minutes to help me on my thesis questionnaire and get the report

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Gabriel, Jun 18, 2007.

  1. Gabriel

    Gabriel Guest

    Hi All,

    (First my apologies for this kind of "spam" message. But for my thesis
    this will be my once in a lifetime spam moment... )

    At the moment I have to graduate for my master in Business Information
    Management and need to do a survey for my thesis. The thesis is about
    Web vs. Desktop based applications and the differences perceived by
    the user. So not from the management/technology point of view but from
    the end-user. I focus now on Desktop vs. Webmail and need a whole lot
    of respondents to get some usable statistics.

    Everyone who uses email (Outlook/Gmail/Thunderbird/Yahoo, etc!) is a
    valid respodent for this thesis.

    Therefore I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to
    complete my questionnaire (available in Dutch and English) and (maybe
    even) forward it to some of your colleagues, friends and family!

    It's 50 closed and 3 open questions, so it shouldn't take more than 5
    minutes.

    You find it at: http://www.amteam.nl/thesis

    And of course everyone who submits his or her email address will get
    the final report, which can be very interesting for application
    developers.

    Thanks a lot!
    Gab

    Gabriel, Jun 18, 2007

  2. Gabriel <> writes:
    > (First my apologies for this kind of "spam" message. But for my thesis
    > this will be my once in a lifetime spam moment... )

    [snip]

    You know, most people manage to go through their entire lives without
    spamming even once. Don't expect anybody to be impressed by your
    restraint.

    Keith Thompson, Jun 18, 2007

  3. >(First my apologies for this kind of "spam" message. But for my thesis
    >this will be my once in a lifetime spam moment... )

    If you have to apologize, you know it's wrong, and you deserve
    Eternal Damnation for it. May you be cursed with an eternity of
    fflush(void main)!

    >At the moment I have to graduate for my master in Business Information
    >Management

    No, you do not have to graduate. Or breathe either. Spammers
    should be discouraged from doing either.

    >and need to do a survey for my thesis. The thesis is about
    >Web vs. Desktop based applications and the differences perceived by
    >the user.

    This newsgroup is about C, which works on the desktop but doesn't
    have any standard interface to a web server. Do you think that
    might bias the results any?

    >So not from the management/technology point of view but from
    >the end-user. I focus now on Desktop vs. Webmail and need a whole lot
    >of respondents to get some usable statistics.

    *USABLE* statistics? Ok, how many things are fatally wrong with
    the design of this survey:

    1) Self-selected sample.
    2) You're biasing the sample by the selection of the group to SPAM and
    by USENET readers in general.
    3) Since there's no real identity on the web, you can't have a usable
    way to protect against the equivalent of ballot-box-stuffing.
    Homework: fill out 7 more flaws in the design of the survey.

    >Everyone who uses email (Outlook/Gmail/Thunderbird/Yahoo, etc!) is a
    >valid respodent for this thesis.

    You seem more like a valid respondent in a divorce suit.

    >You find it at: http://www.spam.spam/spam
    >
    >And of course everyone who submits his or her email address will get

    UNLIMITED *SPAM*!!!

    Gordon Burditt, Jun 19, 2007
  4. Gabriel

    Al Balmer Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:21:14 -0000, (Gordon
    Burditt) wrote:

    >>(First my apologies for this kind of "spam" message. But for my thesis
    >>this will be my once in a lifetime spam moment... )

    >If you have to apologize, you know it's wrong, and you deserve
    >Eternal Damnation for it. May you be cursed with an eternity of
    >fflush(void main)!

    One of my pet peeves is parents who teach their children to say
    they're sorry, rather than teaching them not to do the things they're
    sorry for <g>.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

    Al Balmer, Jun 19, 2007
  5. Gabriel

    CBFalconer Guest

    Re: Please take 5-10 minutes to help me on my thesis questionnaire andget the report

    Gabriel wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > And of course everyone who submits his or her email address
    > will get the final report, which can be very interesting for
    > application developers.

    That makes three groups this spam has appeared on, without the
    slightest sign of a cross-post or proper follow-up setting. If the
    user wants the co-operation of Usenet users, he might well first
    learn to use Usenet properly.

    <http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/X-Mozilla-Status:
    0009net.com/editor/edit043.html>
    cbfalconer at maineline dot net

    CBFalconer, Jun 19, 2007
  6. Gabriel

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Gabriel wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > (First my apologies for this kind of "spam" message. But for my thesis
    > this will be my once in a lifetime spam moment... )
    >
    > At the moment I have to graduate for my master in Business Information
    > Management and need to do a survey for my thesis. The thesis is about

    snip
    > Therefore I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to
    > complete my questionnaire

    NO! (and yes i was shouting.)

    Sjouke Burry, Jun 19, 2007
  7. Gabriel

    Richard Bos Guest

    Gabriel <> wrote:

    > Therefore I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to
    > complete my questionnaire (available in Dutch and English) and (maybe
    > even) forward it to some of your colleagues, friends and family!

    Doe me een lol en vertel me aan welke HEAO je "studeert", dan weet ik
    voortaan welke "bedrijfskundigen" de ballen verstand van statistiek
    hebben.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jun 19, 2007
  8. Gabriel

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:16:29 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:

    > That makes three groups this spam has appeared on, without the
    > slightest sign of a cross-post or proper follow-up setting. If the
    > user wants the co-operation of Usenet users, he might well first
    > learn to use Usenet properly.

    Har! So says the moron with the 9-line signature block. Who will take
    you seriously when you can't configure your own shit properly, and yet
    continually lecture others?

    Bugger off and stop posting, dimwit.

    Dan C, Jun 19, 2007
  9. Gabriel

    Al Balmer Guest

    Re: Please take 5-10 minutes to help me on my thesis questionnaire and get the report

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:39:53 -0500, Dan C
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:16:29 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> That makes three groups this spam has appeared on, without the
    >> slightest sign of a cross-post or proper follow-up setting. If the
    >> user wants the co-operation of Usenet users, he might well first
    >> learn to use Usenet properly.

    >Har! So says the moron with the 9-line signature block. Who will take
    >you seriously when you can't configure your own shit properly, and yet
    >continually lecture others?
    >
    >Bugger off and stop posting, dimwit.

    Chuck has a stalker.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

    Al Balmer, Jun 20, 2007
  10. Re: Please take 5-10 minutes to help me on my thesis questionnaire and get the report

    Al Balmer said:

    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:39:53 -0500, Dan C
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:16:29 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >>> That makes three groups this spam has appeared on, without the
    >>> slightest sign of a cross-post or proper follow-up setting. If the
    >>> user wants the co-operation of Usenet users, he might well first
    >>> learn to use Usenet properly.

    >>Har! So says the moron with the 9-line signature block. Who will
    >>take you seriously when you can't configure your own shit properly,
    >>and yet continually lecture others?
    >>
    >>Bugger off and stop posting, dimwit.

    > Chuck has a stalker.

    ...but a stalker with a point. (I'm not condoning stalking, of course.)
    Whilst Chuck has now reduced /his/ part of the sig to the conventional
    four-liner, and that is a very welcome change, nevertheless he's still
    using a broken news server that (quite wrongly) nails extra stuff onto
    the article. It's unlikely he'll be able to fix this without switching
    to a different news provider.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Jun 20, 2007
  11. Re: Please take 5-10 minutes to help me on my thesis questionnaire and get the report

    In article <>,
    Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >..but a stalker with a point. (I'm not condoning stalking, of course.)
    >Whilst Chuck has now reduced /his/ part of the sig to the conventional
    >four-liner, and that is a very welcome change, nevertheless he's still
    >using a broken news server that (quite wrongly) nails extra stuff onto
    >the article. It's unlikely he'll be able to fix this without switching
    >to a different news provider.

    And this has been ... another whacky episode of:

    "CLC regulars - eating their own!"

    Kenny McCormack, Jun 20, 2007
  12. Gabriel

    Old Wolf Guest

    On Jun 20, 6:24 pm, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    > Whilst Chuck has now reduced /his/ part of the sig to the conventional
    > four-liner, and that is a very welcome change, nevertheless he's still
    > using a broken news server that (quite wrongly) nails extra stuff onto
    > the article. It's unlikely he'll be able to fix this without switching
    > to a different news provider.

    Knowing this, he should reduce the part of the sig
    he provides, so that the total doesn't exceed four
    lines.

    Old Wolf, Jun 20, 2007
  13. Gabriel

    Guest

    On Jun 20, 9:15 am, Old Wolf <> wrote:
    > On Jun 20, 6:24 pm, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >
    > > Whilst Chuck has now reduced /his/ part of the sig to the conventional
    > > four-liner, and that is a very welcome change, nevertheless he's still
    > > using a broken news server that (quite wrongly) nails extra stuff onto
    > > the article. It's unlikely he'll be able to fix this without switching
    > > to a different news provider.

    > Knowing this, he should reduce the part of the sig
    > he provides, so that the total doesn't exceed four
    > lines.

    Not to mention, it's hard to take someone seriously when all of their
    posts end with the equivalent of "MICRO$OFT SUCKS LOL!!! I HAVE PROOF!
    JUST CLICK THESE LINKS TO SEE!!!"

    Seriously, that stuff got tiring about 7 years ago.

    , Jun 20, 2007
  14. Re: Please take 5-10 minutes to help me on my thesis questionnaire and get the report

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 17:39:53 -0500, in comp.lang.c , Dan C
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:16:29 -0400, CBFalconer wrote:
    >
    >> That makes three groups this spam has appeared on, without the

    (snippage)

    >Bugger off and stop posting, dimwit.

    Welcome to my killfile.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Jun 20, 2007
  15. On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:31:37 -0700, in comp.lang.c ,
    wrote:

    >Not to mention, it's hard to take someone seriously when all of their
    >posts end with the equivalent of "MICRO$OFT SUCKS LOL!!! I HAVE PROOF!
    >JUST CLICK THESE LINKS TO SEE!!!"

    CBF is a maintainer of a cpm archive, so show some respect...
    and anyway, whats wrong with pointing out that Vista sucks?
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Jun 20, 2007
  16. Gabriel

    wrote:
    > Old Wolf <> wrote:
    >> Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Whilst Chuck has now reduced /his/ part of the sig to the
    >>> conventional four-liner, and that is a very welcome change,
    >>> nevertheless he's still using a broken news server that (quite
    >>> wrongly) nails extra stuff onto the article. It's unlikely
    >>> he'll be able to fix this without switching to a different
    >>> news provider.

    >> Knowing this, he should reduce the part of the sig he provides,
    >> so that the total doesn't exceed four lines.

    > Not to mention, it's hard to take someone seriously when all of
    > their posts end with the equivalent of "MICRO$OFT SUCKS LOL!!!
    > I HAVE PROOF! JUST CLICK THESE LINKS TO SEE!!!"
    >
    > Seriously, that stuff got tiring about 7 years ago.

    Vista wasn't available 7 years ago. Neither was that ugly EULA.
    The purpose of the sig. is to warn the world. There is no law
    requiring you to read each instance.

    cbfalconer at maineline dot net

    CBFalconer, Jun 21, 2007
  17. Gabriel

    Mark McIntyre wrote:
    > Dan C <> wrote:
    >> CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >>> That makes three groups this spam has appeared on, without the

    > (snippage)
    >
    >> Bugger off and stop posting, dimwit.

    > Welcome to my killfile.

    Pointless. That troll normally appears in Linux groups, not here.

    cbfalconer at maineline dot net

    CBFalconer, Jun 21, 2007
  18. On 20 Jun, 23:50, Mark McIntyre <> wrote:

    > CBF is a maintainer of a cpm archive, so show some respect...
    > and anyway, whats wrong with pointing out that Vista sucks?

    OT() {
    What's a cpm archive ?
    }

    Spiros Bousbouras, Jun 21, 2007
  19. On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:15:36 -0700, in comp.lang.c , Spiros Bousbouras
    <> wrote:

    >On 20 Jun, 23:50, Mark McIntyre <> wrote:
    >
    >> CBF is a maintainer of a cpm archive, so show some respect...
    >> and anyway, whats wrong with pointing out that Vista sucks?

    >OT() {
    > What's a cpm archive ?
    >}

    Yikes!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP/M

    I cut my teeth on an RML-380Z. *sigh*.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Jun 21, 2007
  20. Re: Please take 5-10 minutes to help me on my thesis questionnaire and get the report

    On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:14:12 -0400, in comp.lang.c , CBFalconer
    <> wrote:

    >Mark McIntyre wrote:
    >> Dan C <> wrote:

    >> (snippage)
    >>
    >>> Bugger off and stop posting, dimwit.

    >> Welcome to my killfile.

    >Pointless. That troll normally appears in Linux groups, not here.

    Then I won't have to listen to him over there either... :)
    --
    Mark McIntyre

    --Brian Kernighan

    Mark McIntyre, Jun 21, 2007