Please test my college project website

iam247

Hi

I have built a web based database using access 2002 and ASP (VB Script)
for my computer course.

I would greatly appreciate if a few people could test it on various
browsers / operating systems and email details of problems or comments
to me - testing at kinsella dot info.

The website is a simple group message service for a school.

Pupils in the school can join various groups eg Football or Netball.

Group Leaders can send messages to the groups they are leaders of.
These messages are sent to all group members via email.

The url is www.groupmessage.co.uk

NOTE when you register your own email address on this site you can
remove your own details immediately after you send the group email. The
database does not hold a record of deleted contacts

Option 1 testing

Takes about 20 minutes - everything is detailed on the word document
attached to the home page.

Option 2 testing

Takes as long or short as you want:

I suggest the following:

1 Register as a new user - with a genuine email address
2 Join at least 1 group - and remember its name
3 Attempt to send a message - you should be refused
4 Attempt to add a new group leader - you should be refused
5 Log out (without deleting your details)
6 Log in using the Group Leader email address which matches the group
you joined (email addresses below)
7 Working as a GroupLeader, select "Add a Group Leader" from the main
menu - make yourself (your own personal details) a Group Leader
8 Send a polite group message to the group you previously joined at 2
above. - maybe tell me where you are.
9 log out
10 Log in as yourself
11 Confirm that you can now send a message or add a group leader
12 Remove your personal details from the database

Any polite feedback (positive or negative) would be appreciated.

Group leader email addresses are:

obviously replace AT and DOT with @ & .

FootballATkinsellaDOTinfo
RugbyATkinsellaDOTinfo
NetballATkinsellaDOTinfo
HockeyATkinsellaDOTinfo
FrenchtripATkinsellaDOTinfo

All passwords are 1

Thanks in anticipation - ColinK

Travis Newbury

I have built a web based database using access 2002 and ASP (VB Script)
for my computer course.

I would greatly appreciate if a few people could test it on various
browsers / operating systems and email details of problems or comments
to me - testing at kinsella dot info.

Sorry, this is way too much effort....

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Hi

I have built a web based database using access 2002 and ASP (VB
Script) for my computer course.

I would greatly appreciate if a few people could test it on various
browsers / operating systems and email details of problems or
comments to me - testing at kinsella dot info.

Ask on Usenet, get answers on Usenet.
The website is a simple group message service for a school.

Not so simple for a quick test of your site...

That said, I see the source for this main page

...as ancient style markup. You should strive to be current. Start by
using a doctype recommended for new pages:

as shown here:
http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

Then test your work at:
http://validator.w3.org/ and
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html

I don't have "Cooper Black" font, so my browser tries to substitute
something else, and it's really ugly. You can't use fonts that
many/most of your visitors won't have installed. Stick with the basic
few that everyone has (except Verdana - don't use that).

The textured background makes the content hard to read.

I found some buttons at the top of:
http://www.groupmessage.co.uk/RegDetailsFrm.asp
They don't do anything when clicked. The Submit button yields the
following, when I left th fields empty, and crashed. You need
error-checking.

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Field
'tblContacts.FirstName' cannot be a zero-length string.

/RegDetails.asp, line 41
NOTE when you register your own email address on this site

I'll not give any of my valid addresses just to test a site.
you can remove your own details immediately after you send the
group email. The database does not hold a record of deleted
contacts

...but if you are a spammer looking for new ones, how would we know?

<snip>

Albert Wiersch

This should help.. at least get you started with the basic HTML and CSS. :)

Validator message export for "http://www.groupmessage.co.uk":
Generated by CSE HTML Validator Professional v7.00
(http://www.htmlvalidator.com/)

1. Warning: [24] A document type declaration should appear as the first line
(line 1) of every HTML document. For example, for HTML 4.01 Strict
documents, <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> should be the first line. For HTML
4.01 Transitional documents, the first line should be <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">. For HTML 4.01 Frameset documents,
the first line should be <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">. Although HTML
recommendations generally require this line, most browsers probably ignore
it. If you are using HTML Validator's integrated editor, then you can add
this from the Tags menu and/or from the Tag Inserter.

2. Warning in line 6 at character 43: The "style" attribute has been used
but a default style sheet language has not been defined (note that HTML
Validator would not see this declaration if it is sent as an HTTP header by
a web server). HTML 4.01 and XHTML require this for valid documents. For
example, include this in the "head" section of your document to specify
"text/css" as the default style sheet language: <meta
http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/styles.html#default-style for more
information. If you are using HTML Validator's integrated editor, then you
can add this from the Tags menu and/or from the Tag Inserter.

3. Error in line 8 at character 2: The "div" tag must have an end tag but
the end tag was not found.

4. Warning in line 12 at character 5: (Accessibility->Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (Priority 2)) Style sheets should be used to
control layout and presentation [P2, 3.3]. The element you've used ("font")
is a presentational element. Presentational elements include "font", "b",
"i", "big", "small", and others. For presentation, consider using style
sheets (CSS) instead. Use HTML elements only for content and structure and
not for layout and presentation. Use the "em" and "strong" elements for
structural emphasis. This message is displayed only once.

5. Warning in line 18 at character 29: [30] The "P" tag is contained in a
"font" tag (which was opened in line 17). This may be acceptable for some
browsers (such as Internet Explorer and Netscape), but HTML 4.01 and XHTML
do not allow this. It may also cause problems or unexpected page rendering
for more compliant browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera. Possible
solutions: 1. Close the "font" tag before using the "P" tag. Depending on
the correct usage of the closed tag, you may be able to reopen it after
using the "P" tag; 2. Eliminate the "P" tag; or 3. Reorder the "P" and
"font" tags.

6. Warning in line 19 at character 5: [30] The "P" tag is contained in a
"font" tag (which was opened in line 17). This may be acceptable for some
browsers (such as Internet Explorer and Netscape), but HTML 4.01 and XHTML
do not allow this. It may also cause problems or unexpected page rendering
for more compliant browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera. Possible
solutions: 1. Close the "font" tag before using the "P" tag. Depending on
the correct usage of the closed tag, you may be able to reopen it after
using the "P" tag; 2. Eliminate the "P" tag; or 3. Reorder the "P" and
"font" tags.

7. Warning in line 19 at character 64: [30] The "P" tag is contained in a
"font" tag (which was opened in line 17). This may be acceptable for some
browsers (such as Internet Explorer and Netscape), but HTML 4.01 and XHTML
do not allow this. It may also cause problems or unexpected page rendering
for more compliant browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera. Possible
solutions: 1. Close the "font" tag before using the "P" tag. Depending on
the correct usage of the closed tag, you may be able to reopen it after
using the "P" tag; 2. Eliminate the "P" tag; or 3. Reorder the "P" and
"font" tags.

8. Error in line 23 at character 3: This table doesn't appear to have the
same number of cells in each of its 3 rows. Number of cells in each row,
starting with the first row: 2, 1, 2. Note that for the purposes of this
message, a table cell with a "colspan" or "rowspan" value greater than 1 is
considered to be multiple cells.

9. Error in line 33 at character 5: The "td" tag must have an end tag but
the end tag was not found.

10. Error in line 40 at character 23: (Accessibility->Section 508
Accessibility Standards) The "input" tag does not have an "id" attribute
which must be used to explicitly associate this control with a "label"
element. When electronic forms are designed to be completed online, the form
shall allow people using assistive technology to access the information,
field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission of
the form, including all directions and cues [Section 1194.22 (n)].
Information attached to controls via the "label" element can be very useful
to users of talking browsers. Note that "id" and "for" values are case
sensitive. Visit http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#forms-labels for
more information.

11. Warning in line 40 at character 23: (Accessibility->Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (Priority 2)) The "input" tag does not have an
"id" attribute which should be used to explicitly associate this control
with a "label" element. Labels should be explicitly associated with their
controls [P2, 12.4]. Information attached to controls via the "label"
element can be very useful to users of talking browsers. Note that "id" and
"for" values are case sensitive. Visit
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#forms-labels for more information.

12. Error in line 44 at character 23: (Accessibility->Section 508
Accessibility Standards) The "input" tag does not have an "id" attribute
which must be used to explicitly associate this control with a "label"
element. When electronic forms are designed to be completed online, the form
shall allow people using assistive technology to access the information,
field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission of
the form, including all directions and cues [Section 1194.22 (n)].
Information attached to controls via the "label" element can be very useful
to users of talking browsers. Note that "id" and "for" values are case
sensitive. Visit http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#forms-labels for
more information.

13. Warning in line 44 at character 23: (Accessibility->Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (Priority 2)) The "input" tag does not have an
"id" attribute which should be used to explicitly associate this control
with a "label" element. Labels should be explicitly associated with their
controls [P2, 12.4]. Information attached to controls via the "label"
element can be very useful to users of talking browsers. Note that "id" and
"for" values are case sensitive. Visit
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#forms-labels for more information.

14. Error in line 54 at character 5: The "td" element cannot be used here.
It is nested in another "td" tag and cannot be nested. Did you forget to
close the previous "td" tag? This element may be contained in "tr". This
element may not be contained in "td" and "th".

15. Error in line 59 at character 4: The end tag for "td" (opened in line
33) should appear before the end tag for "tr" (nesting error).

16. Error in line 71 at character 25: A quoted string cannot be immediately
followed by text. It must be followed by a space or the end of the tag.

17. Warning in line 71 at character 33: (Accessibility->Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (Priority 2)) Until user agents allow users to
turn off spawned windows, do not cause pop-ups or other windows to appear
and do not change the current window without informing the user [P2, 10.1].
Avoid specifying target="_blank" because spawning a new window can be
confusing and disorienting to the user. If a new window must be spawned, it
is recommended that it be indicated in the link description, such as by
adding "(new window)" to the link description. This message is displayed
only once.

18. Comment: "Errors and warnings only" mode enabled. This is, for the most
part, a thorough validation (but not a completely thorough validation).

jafar

I would greatly appreciate if a few people could test it on various
browsers / operating systems and email details of problems or comments
to me - testing at kinsella dot info.

OS: Gentoo Linux
Browser: Firefox 1.0.6
1 Register as a new user - with a genuine email address
Works

2 Join at least 1 group - and remember its name

Joined Football. Works.
3 Attempt to send a message - you should be refused

Says "You are not a group leader". As expected I suppose. :)
4 Attempt to add a new group leader - you should be refused

Says "You are not a group leader".
5 Log out (without deleting your details)

Works. Said " Thank you for using GroupContact You are now logged out"
6 Log in using the Group Leader email address which matches the group
you joined (email addresses below)
Works.

7 Working as a GroupLeader, select "Add a Group Leader" from the main
menu - make yourself (your own personal details) a Group Leader

Selected a group (football) to add a new leader. The button "Add a Leader
to this Group" does not show up. No way of submitting without a button to
do it with. ;)
8 Send a polite group message to the group you previously joined at 2
above. - maybe tell me where you are.

Same as above. No form shows up to enter a message and no button to submit
it with.
9 log out
Fine.

10 Log in as yourself
Works.

11 Confirm that you can now send a message or add a group leader

Cannot do either as points 3 & 4 above.
12 Remove your personal details from the database

Appears to work. Cannot log back in.
Hope that is helpful.

jafar

Hi again

Decided to try it in the Opera 8.02 browser (also under Gentoo Linux).
The missing submit buttons and message forms show up ok this time.
Tried also with Mozilla 1.7.11 and the same problem as Firefox.
Konqueror 3.4.1 has the same problems as the mozilla browsers.
Just for a laugh I also tried with Lynx 2.8.5rel.1 (a text only console
browser in case you are unaware) and it all works fine ;)
IE 6 emulated with Wine under Linux works ok.
It just looks like you are having problems working with Gecko engine based
browsers as far as I can tell although I don't think Konqueror is Gecko
based.
Cheers!

Fly Cooter

[...]

This sounds like an email harvesting scam.

iam247

Hi Jafar

I greatly appreciate the time you spent checking my site.

IE users report no problems.

My brother uses Safari with his Apple and reported the same faults as
you.

If you have IE on your machine could you just check send a message.

Thanks Colin

iam247

Thanks Beauregard

Thanks for your advice

I am not a spammer - just a learner, as you have already found.

Colin K

iam247

Hi Fly Cooter

Not a spammer

Read the other posts and you will see I am just a learner

ColinK

iam247

Hi

When I include

at the top of my page

and my original lines 1 and 2 below

<%@ Language = "VBScript" %>
<% Option Explicit%>

I now get the error message:

Expected statement /gc7/www/default.asp, line 6 Option Explicit

How can I fix this?

Thanks Colin

Terry Stockdale

Hi

When I include

at the top of my page

and my original lines 1 and 2 below

<%@ Language = "VBScript" %>
<% Option Explicit%>

I now get the error message:

Expected statement /gc7/www/default.asp, line 6 Option Explicit

How can I fix this?

Thanks Colin

Get rid of the VBScript and program in a language compatible with
multiple browsers!

Seriously, there is no excuse for using I.E.-only technology on the
web.

If you are doing Server-Side programming, use whatever you want. But,
when sending programming to the visitors' web browsers, send something
that is usable or you'll look bad to over 10% of the potential users.
Effectively, that means use JavaScript / JScript (MS'
JavaScript-compatible web browser scripting language).

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Terry said:
Get rid of the VBScript and program in a language compatible with
multiple browsers!

VBScript, when used with an .asp page will work in any browser.

The answer to the question is to generate the doctype statement as the
first line of the *HTML*, and not just place it at the top of the ASP
document.
Seriously, there is no excuse for using I.E.-only technology on the
web.

ASP is not IE-only. I used ASP for a number of years and it worked in
all browsers, because it is server side code.
If you are doing Server-Side programming, use whatever you want.

He is. He's using ASP.
But, when sending programming to the visitors' web browsers, send
something that is usable or you'll look bad to over 10% of the
potential users. Effectively, that means use JavaScript / JScript
(MS' JavaScript-compatible web browser scripting language).

Using JavaScript will still negate about 10% of your visitors, and
other important visitors as well, such as the Googlebot.

iam247

Hi Terry

Excuse me for my niavity and ignorance - I am only a learner.

My VB script is being used for ASP and is only run on the server - I am
not sending any VB script to the client.

Alberts post suggested the following:

"A document type declaration should appear as the first line
(line 1) of every HTML document. For example, for HTML 4.01 Strict
documents, <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

I assumred this meant to put on all of my pages which do asp on the
server and send HTML to the client.

But it did not work - see previous error message.

Did I misunderstand?

Thanks Colin

Albert Wiersch

I assumred this meant to put on all of my pages which do asp on the
server and send HTML to the client.

But it did not work - see previous error message.

Did I misunderstand?

Hello Colin,

It should be the first line sent to the user's browser. It doesn't have to
be the first line in an ASP page that is processed by the server. So you
could most likely move it down a few lines if that would help eliminate the
ASP errors you are getting. But when you choose View Source in a web
browser, you should see it as the top line and not see any ASP code.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sorry I did not quote the doc declaration correctly. It should be:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

If these are new documents, and you are not working on some old legacy
pages, you should be using Strict doctype.

See: http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

If you are not sure where to place the doctype element, why not post
the source of one of your ASP pages, and we'll tell you where to put
it. It does need to be sent as the first line of the generated HTML.