Please test my college project website

Discussion in 'HTML' started by iam247@gmail.com, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I have built a web based database using access 2002 and ASP (VB Script)
    for my computer course.

    I would greatly appreciate if a few people could test it on various
    browsers / operating systems and email details of problems or comments
    to me - testing at kinsella dot info.

    The website is a simple group message service for a school.

    Pupils in the school can join various groups eg Football or Netball.

    Group Leaders can send messages to the groups they are leaders of.
    These messages are sent to all group members via email.

    The url is www.groupmessage.co.uk

    NOTE when you register your own email address on this site you can
    remove your own details immediately after you send the group email. The
    database does not hold a record of deleted contacts

    Option 1 testing

    Takes about 20 minutes - everything is detailed on the word document
    attached to the home page.

    Option 2 testing

    Takes as long or short as you want:

    I suggest the following:

    1 Register as a new user - with a genuine email address
    2 Join at least 1 group - and remember its name
    3 Attempt to send a message - you should be refused
    4 Attempt to add a new group leader - you should be refused
    5 Log out (without deleting your details)
    6 Log in using the Group Leader email address which matches the group
    you joined (email addresses below)
    7 Working as a GroupLeader, select "Add a Group Leader" from the main
    menu - make yourself (your own personal details) a Group Leader
    8 Send a polite group message to the group you previously joined at 2
    above. - maybe tell me where you are.
    9 log out
    10 Log in as yourself
    11 Confirm that you can now send a message or add a group leader
    12 Remove your personal details from the database

    Any polite feedback (positive or negative) would be appreciated.

    Group leader email addresses are:

    obviously replace AT and DOT with @ & .

    FootballATkinsellaDOTinfo
    RugbyATkinsellaDOTinfo
    NetballATkinsellaDOTinfo
    HockeyATkinsellaDOTinfo
    FrenchtripATkinsellaDOTinfo

    All passwords are 1

    Thanks in anticipation - ColinK

    , Aug 15, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I have built a web based database using access 2002 and ASP (VB Script)
    > for my computer course.
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate if a few people could test it on various
    > browsers / operating systems and email details of problems or comments
    > to me - testing at kinsella dot info.

    Sorry, this is way too much effort....

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Aug 15, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have built a web based database using access 2002 and ASP (VB
    > Script) for my computer course.
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate if a few people could test it on various
    > browsers / operating systems and email details of problems or
    > comments to me - testing at kinsella dot info.

    Ask on Usenet, get answers on Usenet.

    > The website is a simple group message service for a school.

    Not so simple for a quick test of your site...

    That said, I see the source for this main page

    > The url is www.groupmessage.co.uk

    ...as ancient style markup. You should strive to be current. Start by
    using a doctype recommended for new pages:

    as shown here:
    http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

    Then test your work at:
    http://validator.w3.org/ and
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html

    I don't have "Cooper Black" font, so my browser tries to substitute
    something else, and it's really ugly. You can't use fonts that
    many/most of your visitors won't have installed. Stick with the basic
    few that everyone has (except Verdana - don't use that).

    The textured background makes the content hard to read.

    I found some buttons at the top of:
    http://www.groupmessage.co.uk/RegDetailsFrm.asp
    They don't do anything when clicked. The Submit button yields the
    following, when I left th fields empty, and crashed. You need
    error-checking.

    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Field
    'tblContacts.FirstName' cannot be a zero-length string.

    /RegDetails.asp, line 41

    > NOTE when you register your own email address on this site

    I'll not give any of my valid addresses just to test a site.

    > you can remove your own details immediately after you send the
    > group email. The database does not hold a record of deleted
    > contacts

    ...but if you are a spammer looking for new ones, how would we know?

    <snip>

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 15, 2005
  4. This should help.. at least get you started with the basic HTML and CSS. :)

    Validator message export for "http://www.groupmessage.co.uk":
    Generated by CSE HTML Validator Professional v7.00
    (http://www.htmlvalidator.com/)

    1. Warning: [24] A document type declaration should appear as the first line
    (line 1) of every HTML document. For example, for HTML 4.01 Strict
    documents, <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> should be the first line. For HTML
    4.01 Transitional documents, the first line should be <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
    "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">. For HTML 4.01 Frameset documents,
    the first line should be <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
    Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">. Although HTML
    recommendations generally require this line, most browsers probably ignore
    it. If you are using HTML Validator's integrated editor, then you can add
    this from the Tags menu and/or from the Tag Inserter.

    2. Warning in line 6 at character 43: The "style" attribute has been used
    but a default style sheet language has not been defined (note that HTML
    Validator would not see this declaration if it is sent as an HTTP header by
    a web server). HTML 4.01 and XHTML require this for valid documents. For
    example, include this in the "head" section of your document to specify
    "text/css" as the default style sheet language: <meta
    http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">. See
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/styles.html#default-style for more
    information. If you are using HTML Validator's integrated editor, then you
    can add this from the Tags menu and/or from the Tag Inserter.

    3. Error in line 8 at character 2: The "div" tag must have an end tag but
    the end tag was not found.

    4. Warning in line 12 at character 5: (Accessibility->Web Content
    Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (Priority 2)) Style sheets should be used to
    control layout and presentation [P2, 3.3]. The element you've used ("font")
    is a presentational element. Presentational elements include "font", "b",
    "i", "big", "small", and others. For presentation, consider using style
    sheets (CSS) instead. Use HTML elements only for content and structure and
    not for layout and presentation. Use the "em" and "strong" elements for
    structural emphasis. This message is displayed only once.

    5. Warning in line 18 at character 29: [30] The "P" tag is contained in a
    "font" tag (which was opened in line 17). This may be acceptable for some
    browsers (such as Internet Explorer and Netscape), but HTML 4.01 and XHTML
    do not allow this. It may also cause problems or unexpected page rendering
    for more compliant browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera. Possible
    solutions: 1. Close the "font" tag before using the "P" tag. Depending on
    the correct usage of the closed tag, you may be able to reopen it after
    using the "P" tag; 2. Eliminate the "P" tag; or 3. Reorder the "P" and
    "font" tags.

    6. Warning in line 19 at character 5: [30] The "P" tag is contained in a
    "font" tag (which was opened in line 17). This may be acceptable for some
    browsers (such as Internet Explorer and Netscape), but HTML 4.01 and XHTML
    do not allow this. It may also cause problems or unexpected page rendering
    for more compliant browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera. Possible
    solutions: 1. Close the "font" tag before using the "P" tag. Depending on
    the correct usage of the closed tag, you may be able to reopen it after
    using the "P" tag; 2. Eliminate the "P" tag; or 3. Reorder the "P" and
    "font" tags.

    7. Warning in line 19 at character 64: [30] The "P" tag is contained in a
    "font" tag (which was opened in line 17). This may be acceptable for some
    browsers (such as Internet Explorer and Netscape), but HTML 4.01 and XHTML
    do not allow this. It may also cause problems or unexpected page rendering
    for more compliant browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera. Possible
    solutions: 1. Close the "font" tag before using the "P" tag. Depending on
    the correct usage of the closed tag, you may be able to reopen it after
    using the "P" tag; 2. Eliminate the "P" tag; or 3. Reorder the "P" and
    "font" tags.

    8. Error in line 23 at character 3: This table doesn't appear to have the
    same number of cells in each of its 3 rows. Number of cells in each row,
    starting with the first row: 2, 1, 2. Note that for the purposes of this
    message, a table cell with a "colspan" or "rowspan" value greater than 1 is
    considered to be multiple cells.

    9. Error in line 33 at character 5: The "td" tag must have an end tag but
    the end tag was not found.

    10. Error in line 40 at character 23: (Accessibility->Section 508
    Accessibility Standards) The "input" tag does not have an "id" attribute
    which must be used to explicitly associate this control with a "label"
    element. When electronic forms are designed to be completed online, the form
    shall allow people using assistive technology to access the information,
    field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission of
    the form, including all directions and cues [Section 1194.22 (n)].
    Information attached to controls via the "label" element can be very useful
    to users of talking browsers. Note that "id" and "for" values are case
    sensitive. Visit http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#forms-labels for
    more information.

    11. Warning in line 40 at character 23: (Accessibility->Web Content
    Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (Priority 2)) The "input" tag does not have an
    "id" attribute which should be used to explicitly associate this control
    with a "label" element. Labels should be explicitly associated with their
    controls [P2, 12.4]. Information attached to controls via the "label"
    element can be very useful to users of talking browsers. Note that "id" and
    "for" values are case sensitive. Visit
    http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#forms-labels for more information.

    12. Error in line 44 at character 23: (Accessibility->Section 508
    Accessibility Standards) The "input" tag does not have an "id" attribute
    which must be used to explicitly associate this control with a "label"
    element. When electronic forms are designed to be completed online, the form
    shall allow people using assistive technology to access the information,
    field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission of
    the form, including all directions and cues [Section 1194.22 (n)].
    Information attached to controls via the "label" element can be very useful
    to users of talking browsers. Note that "id" and "for" values are case
    sensitive. Visit http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#forms-labels for
    more information.

    13. Warning in line 44 at character 23: (Accessibility->Web Content
    Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (Priority 2)) The "input" tag does not have an
    "id" attribute which should be used to explicitly associate this control
    with a "label" element. Labels should be explicitly associated with their
    controls [P2, 12.4]. Information attached to controls via the "label"
    element can be very useful to users of talking browsers. Note that "id" and
    "for" values are case sensitive. Visit
    http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#forms-labels for more information.

    14. Error in line 54 at character 5: The "td" element cannot be used here.
    It is nested in another "td" tag and cannot be nested. Did you forget to
    close the previous "td" tag? This element may be contained in "tr". This
    element may not be contained in "td" and "th".

    15. Error in line 59 at character 4: The end tag for "td" (opened in line
    33) should appear before the end tag for "tr" (nesting error).

    16. Error in line 71 at character 25: A quoted string cannot be immediately
    followed by text. It must be followed by a space or the end of the tag.

    17. Warning in line 71 at character 33: (Accessibility->Web Content
    Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 (Priority 2)) Until user agents allow users to
    turn off spawned windows, do not cause pop-ups or other windows to appear
    and do not change the current window without informing the user [P2, 10.1].
    Avoid specifying target="_blank" because spawning a new window can be
    confusing and disorienting to the user. If a new window must be spawned, it
    is recommended that it be indicated in the link description, such as by
    adding "(new window)" to the link description. This message is displayed
    only once.

    18. Comment: "Errors and warnings only" mode enabled. This is, for the most
    part, a thorough validation (but not a completely thorough validation).

    --
    Albert Wiersch
    http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

    Albert Wiersch, Aug 15, 2005
  5. jafar Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:18:00 -0700, iam247 wrote:

    > I would greatly appreciate if a few people could test it on various
    > browsers / operating systems and email details of problems or comments
    > to me - testing at kinsella dot info.

    OS: Gentoo Linux
    Browser: Firefox 1.0.6

    > 1 Register as a new user - with a genuine email address

    Works

    > 2 Join at least 1 group - and remember its name

    Joined Football. Works.

    > 3 Attempt to send a message - you should be refused

    Says "You are not a group leader". As expected I suppose. :)

    > 4 Attempt to add a new group leader - you should be refused

    Says "You are not a group leader".

    > 5 Log out (without deleting your details)

    Works. Said " Thank you for using GroupContact You are now logged out"

    > 6 Log in using the Group Leader email address which matches the group
    > you joined (email addresses below)

    Works.

    > 7 Working as a GroupLeader, select "Add a Group Leader" from the main
    > menu - make yourself (your own personal details) a Group Leader

    Selected a group (football) to add a new leader. The button "Add a Leader
    to this Group" does not show up. No way of submitting without a button to
    do it with. ;)

    > 8 Send a polite group message to the group you previously joined at 2
    > above. - maybe tell me where you are.

    Same as above. No form shows up to enter a message and no button to submit
    it with.

    > 9 log out

    Fine.

    > 10 Log in as yourself

    Works.

    > 11 Confirm that you can now send a message or add a group leader

    Cannot do either as points 3 & 4 above.

    > 12 Remove your personal details from the database

    Appears to work. Cannot log back in.
    Hope that is helpful.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Producer - http://moonlife-records.com

    jafar, Aug 15, 2005
  6. jafar Guest

    Hi again

    Decided to try it in the Opera 8.02 browser (also under Gentoo Linux).
    The missing submit buttons and message forms show up ok this time.
    Tried also with Mozilla 1.7.11 and the same problem as Firefox.
    Konqueror 3.4.1 has the same problems as the mozilla browsers.
    Just for a laugh I also tried with Lynx 2.8.5rel.1 (a text only console
    browser in case you are unaware) and it all works fine ;)
    IE 6 emulated with Wine under Linux works ok.
    It just looks like you are having problems working with Gecko engine based
    browsers as far as I can tell although I don't think Konqueror is Gecko
    based.
    Cheers!

    jafar, Aug 15, 2005
  7. Fly Cooter Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Hi
    >
    >I have built a web based database using access 2002 and ASP (VB Script)
    >for my computer course.
    >
    >I would greatly appreciate if a few people could test it on various
    >browsers / operating systems and email details of problems or comments
    >to me - testing at kinsella dot info.
    >
    >The website is a simple group message service for a school.
    >
    >Pupils in the school can join various groups eg Football or Netball.
    >
    >Group Leaders can send messages to the groups they are leaders of.
    >These messages are sent to all group members via email.
    >
    >The url is www.groupmessage.co.uk
    >
    >NOTE when you register your own email address on this site you can
    >remove your own details immediately after you send the group email. The
    >database does not hold a record of deleted contacts
    >
    >Option 1 testing
    >
    >Takes about 20 minutes - everything is detailed on the word document
    >attached to the home page.
    >
    >Option 2 testing
    >
    >Takes as long or short as you want:
    >
    >I suggest the following:
    >
    >1 Register as a new user - with a genuine email address
    >2 Join at least 1 group - and remember its name
    >3 Attempt to send a message - you should be refused
    >4 Attempt to add a new group leader - you should be refused
    >5 Log out (without deleting your details)
    >6 Log in using the Group Leader email address which matches the group
    >you joined (email addresses below)
    >7 Working as a GroupLeader, select "Add a Group Leader" from the main
    >menu - make yourself (your own personal details) a Group Leader
    >8 Send a polite group message to the group you previously joined at 2
    >above. - maybe tell me where you are.
    >9 log out
    >10 Log in as yourself
    >11 Confirm that you can now send a message or add a group leader
    >12 Remove your personal details from the database
    >
    >Any polite feedback (positive or negative) would be appreciated.
    >
    >Group leader email addresses are:
    >
    >obviously replace AT and DOT with @ & .
    >
    >FootballATkinsellaDOTinfo
    >RugbyATkinsellaDOTinfo
    >NetballATkinsellaDOTinfo
    >HockeyATkinsellaDOTinfo
    >FrenchtripATkinsellaDOTinfo
    >
    >All passwords are 1
    >

    >Thanks in anticipation - ColinK

    This sounds like an email harvesting scam.

    --
    Fly Cooter
    http://fly-cooter.tripod.com

    Fly Cooter, Aug 16, 2005

    Hi Jafar

    I greatly appreciate the time you spent checking my site.

    IE users report no problems.

    My brother uses Safari with his Apple and reported the same faults as
    you.

    If you have IE on your machine could you just check send a message.

    Thanks Colin

    , Aug 20, 2005

    Well - thanks for taking the time to tell me.

    , Aug 20, 2005

    Thanks Beauregard

    Thanks for your advice

    I am not a spammer - just a learner, as you have already found.

    Colin K

    , Aug 20, 2005

    Thanks for the advice

    , Aug 20, 2005

    Thanks Jafar

    That is very useful

    ColinK

    , Aug 20, 2005

    Hi Fly Cooter

    Not a spammer

    Read the other posts and you will see I am just a learner

    ColinK

    , Aug 20, 2005

    Hi

    When I include

    at the top of my page

    and my original lines 1 and 2 below

    <%@ Language = "VBScript" %>
    <% Option Explicit%>

    I now get the error message:

    Expected statement /gc7/www/default.asp, line 6 Option Explicit

    How can I fix this?

    Thanks Colin

    , Aug 21, 2005
  15. On 21 Aug 2005 05:05:10 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >When I include
    >
    ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    >
    >at the top of my page
    >
    >and my original lines 1 and 2 below
    >
    ><%@ Language = "VBScript" %>
    ><% Option Explicit%>
    >
    >I now get the error message:
    >
    >Expected statement /gc7/www/default.asp, line 6 Option Explicit
    >
    >How can I fix this?
    >
    >Thanks Colin

    Get rid of the VBScript and program in a language compatible with
    multiple browsers!

    Seriously, there is no excuse for using I.E.-only technology on the
    web.

    If you are doing Server-Side programming, use whatever you want. But,
    when sending programming to the visitors' web browsers, send something
    that is usable or you'll look bad to over 10% of the potential users.
    Effectively, that means use JavaScript / JScript (MS'
    JavaScript-compatible web browser scripting language).

    --
    Terry
    My blog: http://www.TheNextWindow.com

    Terry Stockdale, Aug 21, 2005
  16. Terry Stockdale wrote:
    > On 21 Aug 2005 05:05:10 -0700, wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> When I include
    >>
    >> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    >>
    >> at the top of my page
    >> and my original lines 1 and 2 below
    >>
    >> <%@ Language = "VBScript" %
    >> <% Option Explicit%>
    >>
    >> I now get the error message:
    >>
    >> Expected statement /gc7/www/default.asp, line 6 Option Explicit
    >>
    >> How can I fix this?

    > Get rid of the VBScript and program in a language compatible with
    > multiple browsers!

    VBScript, when used with an .asp page will work in any browser.

    The answer to the question is to generate the doctype statement as the
    first line of the *HTML*, and not just place it at the top of the ASP
    document.

    > Seriously, there is no excuse for using I.E.-only technology on the
    > web.

    ASP is not IE-only. I used ASP for a number of years and it worked in
    all browsers, because it is server side code.

    > If you are doing Server-Side programming, use whatever you want.

    He is. He's using ASP.

    > But, when sending programming to the visitors' web browsers, send
    > something that is usable or you'll look bad to over 10% of the
    > potential users. Effectively, that means use JavaScript / JScript
    > (MS' JavaScript-compatible web browser scripting language).

    Using JavaScript will still negate about 10% of your visitors, and
    other important visitors as well, such as the Googlebot.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 21, 2005

    Hi Terry

    Excuse me for my niavity and ignorance - I am only a learner.

    My VB script is being used for ASP and is only run on the server - I am
    not sending any VB script to the client.

    Alberts post suggested the following:

    "A document type declaration should appear as the first line
    (line 1) of every HTML document. For example, for HTML 4.01 Strict
    documents, <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

    I assumred this meant to put on all of my pages which do asp on the
    server and send HTML to the client.

    But it did not work - see previous error message.

    Did I misunderstand?

    Thanks Colin

    , Aug 21, 2005

    Hi

    Sorry I did not quote the doc declaration correctly. It should be:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
    "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    Colin

    , Aug 21, 2005
  19. <> wrote in message

    > I assumred this meant to put on all of my pages which do asp on the
    > server and send HTML to the client.
    >
    > But it did not work - see previous error message.
    >
    > Did I misunderstand?

    Hello Colin,

    It should be the first line sent to the user's browser. It doesn't have to
    be the first line in an ASP page that is processed by the server. So you
    could most likely move it down a few lines if that would help eliminate the
    ASP errors you are getting. But when you choose View Source in a web
    browser, you should see it as the top line and not see any ASP code.

    --
    Albert Wiersch
    http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

    Albert Wiersch, Aug 22, 2005
  20. wrote:
    > Sorry I did not quote the doc declaration correctly. It should be:

    If these are new documents, and you are not working on some old legacy
    pages, you should be using Strict doctype.

    See: http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

    If you are not sure where to place the doctype element, why not post
    the source of one of your ASP pages, and we'll tell you where to put
    it. It does need to be sent as the first line of the generated HTML.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 22, 2005