Please use wxWidgets

Tudman Todmorden

Please use wxWidgets, the multiplatform C++ class library. It's free,
open-source and non-commercial. It's modeled after MFC but it produces
code which can be compiled (using conditional compilation) into native
code executables with the speed and UI look of the platform for which the
compile is targeted. So the Windows executable looks like (and is) a real
Windows program, the Mac OS X executable looks like (and is) a native Mac
OS X program and the Linux executable is and looks like a real Linux/GTK+
application. It has been in development by a band of open-source
programmers led by Julian Smart for over a decade (12 years to be exact)!

So code in wxWidgets and your program will run on both Windows, Mac OS X
and Linux, natively. Three for the price of one! And it's much easier to
use than MFC. Dialogs and windows are easy to design using the
DialogBlocks WYSIWYG UI creator (not free and commercial, but low cost).
So prepare your software to be independent of platform yet still look
'native' and be prepared for the future.

See http://www.wxwidgets.org for more information.

(this has been a non-commercial presentation)

Pete C

It's modeled after MFC

There's the problem. Same ugly macros, same ugly message maps, same
ugly reimplementation of RTTI, same reimplemtation of basic container
classes (wxArrayString? wtf? why not vector<string> ?)

MFC was designed for a compiler that had very basic support for C++,
and it shows. It's great that there's a Free alternative, and it will
probably help immensley for porting older applications to other
platforms. But I would certainly not use it to start a new project.

QT is expensive but high quality and feature-rich (although I find its
'extensions' to the C++ language ugly).

gtkmm is Free and very elegant from a C++ point of view, but although
it is ostensibly cross-platform it seems to have a strong UNIX bias.

Have I missed anything here? All three seem less than ideal. Sorry if
I'm wandering off-topic.

Mirek Fidler

Pete said:
There's the problem. Same ugly macros, same ugly message maps, same
ugly reimplementation of RTTI, same reimplemtation of basic container
classes (wxArrayString? wtf? why not vector<string> ?)

MFC was designed for a compiler that had very basic support for C++,
and it shows. It's great that there's a Free alternative, and it will
probably help immensley for porting older applications to other
platforms. But I would certainly not use it to start a new project.

QT is expensive but high quality and feature-rich (although I find its
'extensions' to the C++ language ugly).

gtkmm is Free and very elegant from a C++ point of view, but although
it is ostensibly cross-platform it seems to have a strong UNIX bias.

Have I missed anything here?

:)

Ultimate++

http://upp.sf.net

Mirek

loufoque

Tudman Todmorden a écrit :
led by Julian Smart for over a decade (12 years to be exact)!

12 years ago we were in 1993.
C++ was standardized in 1998.

Therefore wxwidgets isn't "real" C++.

Jacek Dziedzic

loufoque said:
Tudman Todmorden a écrit :

12 years ago we were in 1993.
C++ was standardized in 1998.

Therefore wxwidgets isn't "real" C++.

Why not? He could've been designing it on paper for
5 years, implementing it in Fortran 77 for the next 5 years
and translating it into '"real" C++' during the last 2 years.

- J.