please wait.. page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by joe kenney, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. joe kenney

    joe kenney Guest

    I have a question on designing a please wait aspx page.
    Currently I have a test.aspx page with codebehind page and
    page_onload contains my stored procedure calls. I've
    create something similar in old asp so I've try similiar
    method and I sort of got it work however my please wait
    message gets display the same time as my data so is there
    a way to display what's in my <div> tag first, then
    executed page_onload for my stored procedure calls.
    Lastly, my javascript call is working to hide the <div>
    tag at the end of my page.. Thanks.
    Joe K.

    -------------------------------
    test.aspx
    -------------------------------

    <script language="javascript">

    function hideObject(obj) {
    obj.visibility = "hidden";
    }
    </script>

    <DIV ID="splashScreen" STYLE="Z-
    INDEX:5;LEFT:35%;POSITION:absolute;TOP:30%">
    <TABLE BGCOLOR="#000000" BORDER="1"
    BORDERCOLOR="#000000" CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0"
    HEIGHT="200" WIDTH="300">
    <TR>
    <TD WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" BGCOLOR="#cccccc"
    ALIGN="middle" VALIGN="center">
    <FONT FACE="Helvetica,Verdana,Arial" SIZE="3"
    COLOR="#000066">
    <B>Page Loading. Please wait...</B></FONT> &nbsp; &nbsp;
    <BR></TD></TR>
    </TABLE>
    </DIV>
    <form runat="server" name="form1" ID="Form1">
    </form>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
    var splash = document.all.splashScreen.style;
    hideObject(splash);
    </SCRIPT>

    -------------------------------
    test.aspx.vb
    -------------------------------

    Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal
    e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    Response.Flush()

    'Stored procedure calls

    Response.Flush()

    End Sub

    joe kenney, Aug 14, 2003

  2. Joe,

    An excellent way to handle a long page load is to use multithreading in your
    app.

    I have links to two excellent tutorials, one in VB and one in C#, on my
    website, www.aboutfortunate.com. Just search the code library for something
    like: "multithread web app" or something like that.

    Sincerely,

    --
    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer