plese help a newbie with an online database

Andy, just Andy

Hello group,

I have been asked/coerced into developing something at work. I have
some knowledge of VB (from version 3) and have a good understanding of
programming principles but I am not sure which technology I need to
use for the task.

Basically what is needed is a web front end for a database for viewing
only, as all record creation will be done through access.

The database will be on SQL server and will contain mostly text fields
but one field will be an image (jpeg probably) the database will also
contain PDFs for each record which they would like the user to be able
to download for printing/viewing.

Customers using the database could be using PC or Mac so it has to be
browser based (I presume)

As different customers will use the database it has to have some kind
of login feature so customers can only see the records that belong to
them.

So do I need a VB.NET web application or ASP or something else? I am
being pressed to get this done ASAP (as usual) so I need the fastest
easiest way of doing this.

Any and all suggestions welcome and code samples I can modify for this
job or links to prebuilt things that will do the job will be rewarded
with more thanks than you can handle.

I do plan on learning VB.NET and it's accompanying technologies but I
have to get this thing done for the company while at the same time
still working as a graphic designer for them so easy to follow help
for now please.

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

read this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326502

--
Regards

John Timney
Microsoft Regional Director
Microsoft MVP
<blatant plug>
Professional .NET for Java Developers with C#- ISBN: 1-861007-91-4
Professional Windows Forms - ISBN: 1861005547
Professional JSP 2nd Edition - ISBN: 1861004958
Professional JSP - ISBN:
1861003625
Beginning JSP Web Development - ISBN: 1861002092
</blatant plug>