plotting arrow in python

rudra

Dear friends,
I am very new in python. Actually, I think I will not do much python
then using it to plotting data. I have not done any "real" thing in
python, so plz be easy. Now , the problem
I have a data set:
0.0 0.0 0.1
0.0 0.1 0.1
0.1 0.0 0.5

like that! the first two column are coordinate and 3rd one is
magnitude of moment (say: x y,m)!! so what i want to do is draw an
arrow of magnitude(m) in the position (x,y).
I know how python read array, and how to draw an array(via
matplotlib)...but totally confused with this one.
can you people plz help?

Stef Mientki

rudra said:
Dear friends,
I am very new in python. Actually, I think I will not do much python
then using it to plotting data. I have not done any "real" thing in
python, so plz be easy. Now , the problem
I have a data set:
0.0 0.0 0.1
0.0 0.1 0.1
0.1 0.0 0.5

like that! the first two column are coordinate and 3rd one is
magnitude of moment (say: x y,m)!! so what i want to do is draw an
arrow of magnitude(m) in the position (x,y).
I know how python read array, and how to draw an array(via
matplotlib)...but totally confused with this one.
can you people plz help?
maybe take a look at VPython
cheers,
Stef

Lie Ryan

rudra said:
Dear friends,
I am very new in python. Actually, I think I will not do much python
then using it to plotting data. I have not done any "real" thing in
python, so plz be easy. Now , the problem
I have a data set:
0.0 0.0 0.1
0.0 0.1 0.1
0.1 0.0 0.5

like that! the first two column are coordinate and 3rd one is
magnitude of moment (say: x y,m)!! so what i want to do is draw an
arrow of magnitude(m) in the position (x,y).
I know how python read array, and how to draw an array(via
matplotlib)...but totally confused with this one.
can you people plz help?

If you want to stay with regular python distribution, take a look on
pygame (http://www.pygame.org/ ).

If you want to avoid 3rd party modules, take a look at turtle and
Tkinter in the standard library.

If you want to avoid 3rd party modules, take a look at turtle and
Tkinter in the standard library.

Just to add to Ryans words...
If you want to avoid 3rd party modules, take a look at turtle and the
Tkinter *Canvas* widget in the standard library. Here is an example.

#-- start code --#
try:
import Tkinter as tk
except ImportError:
import tkinter as tk #python 3+

app = tk.Tk()
canvas = tk.Canvas(app)
canvas.create_line(0,0, 50,50, arrow='last')
canvas.pack()
app.mainloop()
#-- end code --#

remove the try/except when you know which one to use. I just wanted to
make sure it ran out-the-box for you, have fun!

Gregory Ewing

There seems to be some information missing there.
How do you know what direction to draw the arrow in?

rudra

There seems to be some information missing there.
How do you know what direction to draw the arrow in?

Greg,
you are right direction is also needed. But as a beginner, I am trying
to make it simple and all arrows are collinear along x axis!!
then i have to try non collinear as well.
thank you