Plotting modules

Discussion in 'Python' started by DG, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. DG

    DG Guest

    I'm interesting in finding the ultimate cross-platform python plotting
    module. So far I've used scipy.gplt and biggles which both have
    disadvantages. There is no python 2.3 binary package for biggles in
    windows, and scipy.gplt doesn't seem to work with MacMillan's installer
    in Windows. I haven't tried py2exe yet.

    I need a plotting program this is:
    -Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary form, or
    easy to install form on linux and windows.
    -Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)
    -Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)

    I wasn't that impressing with the Gnuplot python module, and I haven't
    tried scipy.plt or chaco yet.

    Alternatively, if someone can tell me some way that I can package my
    code so that others in Windows can run it. I just don't want other
    people to have to download python, Numeric, scipy, and biggles, for
    example, just to get my code to run. But if I could easily package all
    that stuff into one, that would be fine, although the installer would be
    huge.

    David
    DG, Feb 27, 2004

  2. DG

    Paxcal Guest

    You may want to try wxPyPlot wich is at:
    http://www.cyberus.ca/~g_will/wxPython/wxpyplot.html
    It only depends on numeric and wxPython... and =) has a Boa Constructor (
    http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/ ) plug-in wich is a great feature
    for me.
    It laks many of the features that are found in scipy.gplt but it´s fast and
    py2exe compatible.

    Regards...

    Paxcal

    Paxcal, Feb 27, 2004

  3. On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:36:45 -0500, DG wrote:

    > I need a plotting program this is:
    > -Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary form, or
    > easy to install form on linux and windows.
    > -Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)
    > -Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)

    I'm working on a PyQt-based plotting package called Veusz
    http://home.gna.org/veusz/ (not really ready for use yet).

    Unfortunately AFAIK, there is no Free Edition of Qt for Windows, so it
    wouldn't be cross-platform enough for you.

    Jeremy
    Jeremy Sanders, Feb 27, 2004
  4. DG

    John Hunter Guest

    You may want to look at matplotlib -
    http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net. You can embed it in a number of
    GUIs (Wx, GTK and Tk) or use it simply for image generation. Tk is in
    CVS and will be released next week.

    DG> Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary
    DG> form, or easy to install form on linux and windows.

    All releases have windows installers. Easy build on linux (python
    setup.py install)

    DG> Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)

    Very actively, by yours truly :)

    DG> Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)

    You may want to check out the tutorial, to see if it looks easy for
    you - http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/tutorial.html

    I use matplotlib in applications that run on windows and linux. I
    haven't tried to package it up into a single all inclusive installer,
    eg, py2exe or McMillan, however, so I can't give you any information
    there.

    John Hunter
    John Hunter, Feb 27, 2004
  5. DG

    DG Guest

    Jeremy Sanders wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:36:45 -0500, DG wrote:
    >

    >>I need a plotting program this is:
    >>-Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary form, or
    >>easy to install form on linux and windows.
    >>-Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)
    >>-Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)

    > I'm working on a PyQt-based plotting package called Veusz
    > http://home.gna.org/veusz/ (not really ready for use yet).
    >
    > Unfortunately AFAIK, there is no Free Edition of Qt for Windows, so it
    > wouldn't be cross-platform enough for you.

    Nice output. Looks almost biggles-ish, maybe better.

    Dave
    DG, Feb 27, 2004
  6. DG

    Guest

    Hello David,
    You may try matplotlib, dislin and wxpyplot. I guess matplotlib +
    wxpython should suffice. Check it out!

    Regards,
    Srijit

    DG <> wrote in message news:<c1m6vd$sij$>...
    > I'm interesting in finding the ultimate cross-platform python plotting
    > module. So far I've used scipy.gplt and biggles which both have
    > disadvantages. There is no python 2.3 binary package for biggles in
    > windows, and scipy.gplt doesn't seem to work with MacMillan's installer
    > in Windows. I haven't tried py2exe yet.
    >
    > I need a plotting program this is:
    > -Cross platform (linux and windows) and can build into binary form, or
    > easy to install form on linux and windows.
    > -Hopefully still maintained (unlike biggles)
    > -Easy to use (like scipy.gplt)
    >
    > I wasn't that impressing with the Gnuplot python module, and I haven't
    > tried scipy.plt or chaco yet.
    >
    > Alternatively, if someone can tell me some way that I can package my
    > code so that others in Windows can run it. I just don't want other
    > people to have to download python, Numeric, scipy, and biggles, for
    > example, just to get my code to run. But if I could easily package all
    > that stuff into one, that would be fine, although the installer would be
    > huge.
    >
    > David
    , Feb 28, 2004
  7. On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:34:48 -0500, DG wrote:

    > Nice output. Looks almost biggles-ish, maybe better.

    Thanks. I'll inform people here when it's in a workable state.

    Jeremy
    Jeremy Sanders, Mar 1, 2004