Plotting points on a web page

Carl Gilbert

Hi

I am looking for a technique to allow a viewer of a web page to plot a
series of points on a web page. I would like to display an image on the
page and then allow the user to zoom in/out of the image and then click
about 4 or 5 points and then submit these points back to the server.

I have tried using draggable divs to allow the positioning of transparent
gif cursors over the image but I'm not too sure if this is the right
approach.

Has anyone got any ideas on the best method to use?

Regards, Carl Gilbert

Note: I have some experience with ASP.NET, lots with VB.NET and almost
none with Javascript.

bruce barker

if you image has an onclick event, you could capture clicks on the image
(store the x/y positions in a hidden field). if you had a small gif of a
point, you could position one on top of the image in client code so the user
you see the clicks. should only be couple lines of code. should be able to
do this in javascript easily.

note: most sites use a java applet to do this though.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)