plotting with Python

Rolf Wester

Hi,

I have a Python console application that is intended to be used
interactively and I have to add plotting capabilities (multiple XY plots
and if possible 2D-surface plots). I'm loocking for a reasonably fast
plotting library (not GPL'ed, needs not be for free) that can be used
under Windows. An alternative would also be a standalone application
that can be controlled via TCP/IP from my Python application. I tried
matplotlib but this is not fast enough (especially under Windows). I
considered PyQwt but this is GPL'ed. So I would be very appreciative for
any help.

With kind regards

Rolf Wester

Leonard J. Reder

Hi Philippe,

You may want to look at HippoDraw application. The web site is
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/grp/ek/hippodraw/. I have used both
the C++ api and python bindings. They have a layer of python called
hippoplotter.py to make it easy to instance the basic plotting canvase
and place multiple plots on it. This tool is built on Qt and it was
very easy for me to get going with it.

Maybe worth looking at.

Len
Look at wxPython

Regards,

Philippe

Rolf Wester wrote:

Leonard J. Reder
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Interferometry Systems and Technology Section 383
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Phone (Voice): 818-354-3639
Phone (FAX): 818-354-4357
Mail Address:
Mail Stop: 171-113
4800 Oak Grove Dr.
Pasadena, CA. 91109

Fernando Perez

Rolf said:
Hi,

I have a Python console application that is intended to be used
interactively and I have to add plotting capabilities (multiple XY plots
and if possible 2D-surface plots). I'm loocking for a reasonably fast
plotting library (not GPL'ed, needs not be for free) that can be used
under Windows. An alternative would also be a standalone application
that can be controlled via TCP/IP from my Python application. I tried
matplotlib but this is not fast enough (especially under Windows). I
considered PyQwt but this is GPL'ed. So I would be very appreciative for
any help.

Have a look at matplotib, which provides already embeddable widgets for most
common toolkits. It lacks surface plotting, for which VTK/mayavi can come in
handy. If you want interactive console support, IPython can be
embedded/extended, and it handles automatically thread coordination with
matplotlib with Tk, GTK, WX and Qt (windows, linux and osx). Both come with a
BSD license.

Regards,