PLS HELP! Drag and Drop a file to a web form

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by MuZZy, Nov 9, 2006.

  1. MuZZy

    MuZZy Guest

    Hi,

    I am building a web-based documentation management system and i would
    need a way to be able to drag and drop files to the web page. I would
    like to avoid embedding ActiveX's as i have no expertise in that. Are
    there any alternatives?

    I know you could host an .NEt WinForm in the browser but it's subject to
    pretty strict security and will only work in IE; also i was thinking of
    building a java applet but i don't like to mix the technologies and it
    would be also a security problem. Maybe i should use flash?

    I'm just wondering how Yahoo.Photo and some others do that - in
    Yahoo.Photo you can drag and drop your photos right into the browser.
    Are they using ActiveX?

    Any ideas on the matter would be highly appreciated!!!

    Thank you in advance,
    Andrey

    MuZZy, Nov 9, 2006

  2. Hi Andrey,

    Yahoo.Photo is using ActiveX. If you open IE menu: Tools/Manage Add-ons,
    you will see it's an ActiveX Control:

    Yahoo! Photos 3.0 Easy Upload Tool Class, ydrop3.dll

    I'm afraid it cannot be done without ActiveX or other add-ons. Normally
    drag&drop a file on to browser window will open it instead of let the web
    page handling it. This is for security reason.

    I'm not sure if flash can do that or not, you may want to ask in other
    related forums.

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support