pls help regarding instruction

jayipee

I have installed the latest version of knoppix. it's a debian based
distro. now I want to run tomcat on my server to run servlet.

I have already installed tomcat4 but in the instructions given from
this site: http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat4/c260.html I don't
know what it means under this line: 4.2.2. Adding a Context inside
server.xml. I look for server.xml and I can see it under /etc/tomcat4/
and also in /var/lib/tomcat4/conf/server.xml which makes me confuse
which one to edit or if this is the right file to edit. When looking
through the file I don't know also what to put there. The instruction
to put to that file is this:

<!-- MyFirst Context -->

<Context path="/MyFirst" docBase="MyFirst" debug="0" reloadable="true"
/>

And also the web.xml under this line 4.2.3. Creating a web.xml file for
the web application.

I can put my server.xml and web.xml here if you like.

Thanks in advance.

SMC

I have installed the latest version of knoppix. it's a debian based
distro. now I want to run tomcat on my server to run servlet.

I have already installed tomcat4 but in the instructions given from this
site: http://cymulacrum.net/writings/tomcat4/c260.html I don't know what
it means under this line: 4.2.2. Adding a Context inside server.xml. I
look for server.xml and I can see it under /etc/tomcat4/ and also in
/var/lib/tomcat4/conf/server.xml which makes me confuse which one to
edit or if this is the right file to edit.

You'll probably find that /var/lib/tomcat4/conf is a symlink to
/etc/tomcat4, so whichever you edit, it's the same file.
When looking through the file
I don't know also what to put there. The instruction to put to that file
is this:

<!-- MyFirst Context -->

<Context path="/MyFirst" docBase="MyFirst" debug="0" reloadable="true"
/>

Add the above line inside the <Host> tags in the server.xml

You'll probably have an entry similar to:

<Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true">

so just put your Context after that. There may already be an example one
in there, so you could add it before that one.
And also the web.xml under this line 4.2.3. Creating a web.xml file for
the web application.

This is a file you need to create. Just create the file and drop in the
content they provide. This file will go in

$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/MyFirst/WEB-INF/

jayipee

Thank you very much for the reply. I can't find this line under host:

<!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
<!--
<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0">
-->

So I added it together with:

<!-- MyFirst Context -->

<Context path="/MyFirst" docBase="MyFirst" debug="0" reloadable="true"
/>

The instruction also said that I have to access that on port 8080 but
after running startup.sh can running netstat I can't find port 8080
opened.

And also what is the right path of JAVA_HOME ? because when I run
startup.sh it says:

The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
This environment variable is needed to run this program

I don't know if this is the right command to enter in the terminal:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/kaffe/

Thanks again.

SMC

Thank you very much for the reply. I can't find this line under host:

<!-- Tomcat Root Context -->
<!--
<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0">
-->

So I added it together with:

<!-- MyFirst Context -->

<Context path="/MyFirst" docBase="MyFirst" debug="0" reloadable="true"
/>

The instruction also said that I have to access that on port 8080 but
after running startup.sh can running netstat I can't find port 8080
opened.

Look for the <Connector> tags in your server.xml. Make sure there is one
and it's uncommented. It should be something like

debug="0" connectionTimeout="10000"
useURIValidationHack="false"/>

Check the port attribute value.
And also what is the right path of JAVA_HOME ? because when I run
startup.sh it says:

The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined This environment
variable is needed to run this program

I don't know if this is the right command to enter in the terminal:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/kaffe/

You should probably add this to your shell profile (e.g. .bash_profile).