    Any pointers gratefully received.

    Webmaster
    http://www.kidwatch-uk.net

    Doesn't Matter, Nov 5, 2003

  2. On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Doesn't Matter <> wrote:
    > I am not looking for a spambot killer or an obfuscator, what I need
    > is something that will achieve the following. Could someone pls point
    > me at a suitable script.
    > I run a site which, in part, allows a runaway child or their parents to
    > communicate with each other by messages, I would like them to be
    > able to do this by e-mail however, neither side, and particularily the
    > child side should have their e-mail address divulged.
    > What I need is basically a simple form with a text box and a 'Send Message'
    > button that, in the background in fact sends an e-mail without anyone being
    > able to see where the e-mail is actually going to, neither in the status bar
    > or by viewing the source.
    > Is this possible in Perl or am I better to have all the e-mails directed to
    > us and we re-send them on.

    You could store a colon separated unique ID and e-mail address list in
    separate file like (doesn't even matter if the ID is a name with spaces,
    just so you weed out any colons):

    id_string:

    or

    1st_name Lastname:

    Demo script to find them:

    #!/usr/bin/perl -w
    my $id = shift; # actually assign this from form variable
    my $addrfile = 'addrlist.txt';
    my $email;
    open(IN, $addrfile) || die "can't open $addrfile: $!\n";
    while (<IN>) {
    chomp;
    if (/^$id:(.+)$/) {
    $email = $1;
    last;
    print "$id\t$email\n";

    http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
    http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

    David Efflandt, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Doesn't Matter

    Ben Morrow Guest

    "Doesn't Matter" <> wrote:
    > Greetings
    > I am not looking for a spambot killer or an obfuscator, what I need
    > is something that will achieve the following. Could someone pls point
    > me at a suitable script.
    > I run a site which, in part, allows a runaway child or their parents to
    > communicate with each other by messages, I would like them to be
    > able to do this by e-mail however, neither side, and particularily the
    > child side should have their e-mail address divulged.

    You will need to be careful about all the places in the email where
    the 'sender' address might appear, particularly the SMTP envelope.

    I would suggest the 'From' line should contain just a name (no address
    at all) and the sender address and Reply-To should be
    <child'>, which you can then forward to the child.

    Ben

    --
    If I were a butterfly I'd live for a day, / I would be free, just blowing away.
    This cruel country has driven me down / Teased me and lied, teased me and lied.

    Ben Morrow, Nov 6, 2003
  4. Doesn't Matter () wrote:
    : Greetings
    : I am not looking for a spambot killer or an obfuscator, what I need
    : is something that will achieve the following. Could someone pls point
    : me at a suitable script.
    : I run a site which, in part, allows a runaway child or their parents to
    : communicate with each other by messages, I would like them to be
    : able to do this by e-mail however, neither side, and particularily the
    : child side should have their e-mail address divulged.
    : What I need is basically a simple form with a text box and a 'Send Message'
    : button that, in the background in fact sends an e-mail without anyone being
    : able to see where the e-mail is actually going to, neither in the status bar
    : or by viewing the source.
    : Is this possible in Perl or am I better to have all the e-mails directed to
    : us and
    : we re-send them on. Surely something like this though can be automated.
    : Similiar, I guess, to how it is done on the 'dating' websites.
    : Any pointers gratefully received.

    Various sites run anonymous mail services. I do not know what "packaged"
    code they use, but I would investigate those sites (like maybe ask someone
    who runs one) to find what you can.

    Malcolm Dew-Jones, Nov 6, 2003