Pls some advice for Windows Forms old-hand but ASP noob

Guest

I've spent plenty of time building windows forms, but I'm working on a web
project now. I've scanned a few ASP NET books, checked out some tutorials,
but I am unable to figure out how to lay out complex groups of controls that
need to interact with each other on a web page properly.

My main page's design includes a number of different controls. On the left
I have three groups of controls: A textbox with a button for searching (the
first group), below that a treeview (its own group), and below that a listbox
to show results from manipulating the treeview and from searches. On the
right is a pane that shows pages/documents/etc selected in the results
listbox. These two columns of controls are then sandwitched between a header
and footer that stretch across the width of the page. My windows forms
background tells me to find an analogy to the panels-with-controls layout.
Frames seem to be the logical choice. However, since each frame contains a
different page, I can't handle events where one control's event is reflected
in another control's contents as I would in a windows form (all controls are
still on the same form, which makes it as easy as this.someothercontrol.text
= "result"). Having a control's event handler in one .aspx page manipulate a
control in another page, I'm sure, is possible, but its not easy. I'm not
even sure if I should be exposing events in one page's code and handling it
in another's, but if there is a better way to do it, I don't know what it is.
None of the ASP.NET books I've looked at go into depth about complex layouts
like the one I described. Could someone please give me some hints or point
the way to some tutorials? TIA.

Kevin Spencer

Hi William,

You're barking up the right tree here. Check out Custom Composite Controls.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP