Pluggable security mechanism?

oliver.wulff

I'm wondering if it is possible in .NET to plug-in a custom authentication
& authorization mechanism. So, that IIS applications and Webservice would
be authenticated against this custom authentication & authorization
implementation. This implementation would authenticate a user with a
password and deliver the roles of this user in this application
(configurable application id).
Thanks a lot for your hints!
Oliver

Jan Tielens

Check out this WSE article:
http://tinyurl.com/2gtxy
Using Role-Based Security with Web Services Enhancements 2.0
Ingo Rammer
Independent Consultant and Developer

September 2003

Applies to:
Microsoft® .NET Framework
Web Services Enhancements 2.0 for Microsoft® .NET
WS-Policy specification

2.0) to integrate X.509-based WS-Security authentication with role-based
security features in the Microsoft .NET Framework. Highlights the use of
WS-Policy in WSE 2.0 to greatly simplify tasks. (26 printed pages)

Peter Rilling

Probably.

If you look in the machine.config file, IIS is configured security
mechanisms that are programmed as HttpModule components.

<httpModules>
<add name="OutputCache" type="System.Web.Caching.OutputCacheModule"/>
<add name="Session" type="System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule"/>
<add name="WindowsAuthentication"
type="System.Web.Security.WindowsAuthenticationModule"/>
<add name="FormsAuthentication"
type="System.Web.Security.FormsAuthenticationModule"/>
<add name="PassportAuthentication"
type="System.Web.Security.PassportAuthenticationModule"/>
<add name="UrlAuthorization"
type="System.Web.Security.UrlAuthorizationModule"/>
<add name="FileAuthorization"
type="System.Web.Security.FileAuthorizationModule"/>
<add name="ErrorHandlerModule"
type="System.Web.Mobile.ErrorHandlerModule, System.Web.Mobile,
Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
</httpModules>

So if you can figure out how these work, you should be able to write your
own.

oliver.wulff

I can write an event handler for AuthenticateRequest of IHttpModule. But
I'm not sure whether I can implement the authentication code in this event
handler or the event is just fired after successful authentication.