PLY for standard library

Alan Isaac

Is PLY destined for the standard library?
If not, what module providing substantially similar functionality is?

Thank you,
Alan Isaac

Jakub Stolarski

If not, what module providing substantially similar functionality is?
AFAIK there's no parser generator module in standard library.

I would like to see PLY in standard library too.

Paul McGuire

AFAIK there's no parser generator module in standard library.

I would like to see PLY in standard library too.

Other candidates besides PLY:
http://www.nedbatchelder.com/text/python-parsers.html
http://wiki.python.org/moin/LanguageParsing

I'm not sure this is a "one size fits all" problem space.

Personally I find PLY's use of docstrings for grammar definition a bit
too clever (as I'm sure others have their own personal likes and
dislikes on any of these packages, even (gasp) pyparsing).

-- Paul

Jakub Stolarski

Other candidates besides PLY:http://www.nedbatchelder.com/text/python-parsers.htmlhttp://wiki.python.org/moin/LanguageParsing

I'm not sure this is a "one size fits all" problem space.

Personally I find PLY's use of docstrings for grammar definition a bit
too clever (as I'm sure others have their own personal likes and
dislikes on any of these packages, even (gasp) pyparsing).

I tried some other packages too. PLY was the most suitable for me, but
there are many much more powerful tools. If there will be any other
parsing tool in standard library that's OK. But I think that python
needs some standard parsing tool.