Ply(LALR) and Yacc behaving differently

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=C5smund_Grammeltvedt?=

Hi.

I am trying to implement a small compiler in python and, trying to use
something a bit more pythonic than lex/yacc, ended up with ply
(http://systems.cs.uchicago.edu/ply/). The only problem is that whereas
yacc accepts the grammar and appears to parse it correctly, ply does not.

Perhaps this belongs on some compiler list, but I couldn't decide if it
was a compiler or a python problem, so bear with me.

This smaller grammar illustrates the problem:

Goal ::= (+|+-)*;

The yacc grammar goes:

%start Goal
%%

Goal
: Block ';'
;

Block
: Empty
;

Empty
: /* empty */
;

: '+'
;

: '+' '-'
;

Translated to ply:

def p_Goal(p):
"""
Goal : Block SEMI
"""

def p_Block(p):
"""
Block : Empty
| Block T
| Block S
"""

def p_Empty(p):
"""
Empty :
"""
pass

def p_S(p):
"""
S : PLUS
"""

def p_T(p):
"""
T : PLUS MINUS
"""

Now, looking at the state machines that yacc and ply produces, the
difference show up.

Yacc:

state 0
0 $accept: . Goal $end

$default reduce using rule 5 (Empty)

Goal go to state 1
Block go to state 2
Empty go to state 3

state 2
1 Goal: Block . ';'
3 Block: Block . T
4 | Block . S

';' shift, and go to state 5
'+' shift, and go to state 6

S go to state 7
T go to state 8

state 3
2 Block: Empty .

$default reduce using rule 2 (Block)

Ply:

state 0

(0) S' -> . Goal
(1) Goal -> . Block SEMI
(2) Block -> . Empty
(3) Block -> . Block T
(4) Block -> . Block S
(5) Empty -> .

SEMI reduce using rule 5 (Empty -> .)

Empty shift and go to state 3
Goal shift and go to state 2
Block shift and go to state 1

OK, I believe those are the interesting parts. Appearently, ply doesn't
want to shift anything other than a ';' and thereby produces an error if
it encounters '+'. This only occurs in LALR mode, though. SLR handles
correctly, but my larger grammar isn't SLR, sigh.

So, any ideas? Have I completely messed up how to handle empty productions
or should I switch to another lexer/parser?