PNG graphics transparency

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jens Lenge, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. Jens Lenge

    Jens Lenge Guest

    Hello world,

    I want to use a PNG graphic with transparent regions on my website. However,
    Internet Explorer (latest version from WinXP SP2) displays transparent
    regions kind of bluish instead of using the background color. As I am quite
    new to HTML, do I have to set special options for PNG to work?

    Jens
     
    Jens Lenge, Oct 12, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jens Lenge

    Dylan Parry Guest

    As an authority on the subject, Jens Lenge proclaimed:

    > I want to use a PNG graphic with transparent regions on my website.


    Unfortunately, the problem you are encountering is because Internet
    Explorer does not support alpha transparency (transparency in 24-bit PNG
    files).

    You have one of two options here, you can either use a GIF or PNG with a
    single transparent colour (256 colours overall), or you can use some
    clever server-side stuff to get Internet Explorer to work with 24-bit
    transparent PNGs.

    As you are new to HTML, I would suggest that you do the former of the two
    options, until you are ready to delve into server-side stuff.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references
     
    Dylan Parry, Oct 12, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jens Lenge

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Jens Lenge wrote:
    > Hello world,
    >
    > I want to use a PNG graphic with transparent regions on my website.
    > However, Internet Explorer (latest version from WinXP SP2) displays
    > transparent regions kind of bluish instead of using the background
    > color. As I am quite new to HTML, do I have to set special options
    > for PNG to work?
    > Jens


    http://www.nrkn.com/alpha/
     
    Nik Coughin, Oct 12, 2004
    #3
  4. Jens Lenge

    mbstevens Guest

    Nik Coughin wrote:

    > Jens Lenge wrote:
    >> Hello world,
    >>
    >> I want to use a PNG graphic with transparent regions on my website.
    >> However, Internet Explorer (latest version from WinXP SP2) displays
    >> transparent regions kind of bluish instead of using the background
    >> color. As I am quite new to HTML, do I have to set special options
    >> for PNG to work?
    >> Jens

    >
    > http://www.nrkn.com/alpha/
    >
    >

    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/pngopacity/
    ....although I don't really like these kinds of hacks.
    --
    mbstevens
    http://www.mbstevens.com
     
    mbstevens, Oct 12, 2004
    #4
  5. On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:01:18 +0100, Dylan Parry wrote:

    > clever server-side stuff to get Internet Explorer to work with 24-bit


    Client side, actually

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
     
    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 12, 2004
    #5
  6. Jens Lenge

    Jens Lenge Guest

    I will check out the different approaches.
    Thanks for all the advice!
    (It's good to know one is not alone in the net...)

    Jens
     
    Jens Lenge, Oct 12, 2004
    #6
  7. Jens Lenge

    Dylan Parry Guest

    As an authority on the subject, Jeffrey Silverman proclaimed:

    >> clever server-side stuff to get Internet Explorer to work with 24-bit

    >
    > Client side, actually


    Nope. http://www.koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/ Clever server-side stuff.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Listening to: Shostakovich - Symphony No 5 in D Minor, Op. 47
     
    Dylan Parry, Oct 13, 2004
    #7
  8. Jens Lenge wrote:

    > Hello world,
    >
    > I want to use a PNG graphic with transparent regions on my website.
    > However, Internet Explorer (latest version from WinXP SP2) displays
    > transparent regions kind of bluish instead of using the background color.
    > As I am quite new to HTML, do I have to set special options for PNG to
    > work?
    >
    > Jens


    Only two days I had the exact same problem! Mozilla and Konqeror can display
    a full-colour PNG with transparency. Window$ (I tested IE5 and 6) wants a
    bloody indexed pallete. Unless you ignore Window$ users, you are forced to
    reduce the quality of your graphics.

    ....don't get me started on the way IE renders tables. It drove me nuts
    yesterday.

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com
     
    Roy Schestowitz, Oct 13, 2004
    #8
  9. Dylan Parry wrote:
    > As an authority on the subject, Jeffrey Silverman proclaimed:
    >
    >>>clever server-side stuff to get Internet Explorer to work with 24-bit

    >>
    >>Client side, actually

    >
    > Nope. http://www.koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/ Clever server-side stuff.


    Clever client-side stuff that's dynamically created with clever
    server-side stuff.
     
    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 13, 2004
    #9
  10. On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:15:52 -0400, Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    >> As an authority on the subject, Jeffrey Silverman proclaimed:
    >>
    >>>>clever server-side stuff to get Internet Explorer to work with 24-bit
    >>>
    >>>Client side, actually

    >>
    >> Nope. http://www.koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/ Clever server-side stuff.

    >
    > Clever client-side stuff that's dynamically created with clever
    > server-side stuff.


    Thank you. That is what I mean. Just because some server-side stuff
    creates the code doesn't make it a server-side workaround. It is purely
    client side. ("It" being the ActiveX rendering workaround for PNG images
    in MSIE)

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
     
    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 15, 2004
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,623
  2. Leif K-Brooks
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    12,724
    Froggy
    Jul 20, 2009
  3. Caleb Hattingh
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,094
    Caleb Hattingh
    Dec 1, 2004
  4. Robin Becker

    png transparency with PIL

    Robin Becker, Nov 23, 2007, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    423
    Robin Becker
    Nov 23, 2007
  5. Jeff

    PNG transparency support

    Jeff, Feb 16, 2008, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    621
    Raymond SCHMIT
    Mar 6, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page