PNG graphics transparency

Jens Lenge

Hello world,

I want to use a PNG graphic with transparent regions on my website. However,
Internet Explorer (latest version from WinXP SP2) displays transparent
regions kind of bluish instead of using the background color. As I am quite
new to HTML, do I have to set special options for PNG to work?

Jens

Dylan Parry

As an authority on the subject, Jens Lenge proclaimed:
I want to use a PNG graphic with transparent regions on my website.

Unfortunately, the problem you are encountering is because Internet
Explorer does not support alpha transparency (transparency in 24-bit PNG
files).

You have one of two options here, you can either use a GIF or PNG with a
single transparent colour (256 colours overall), or you can use some
clever server-side stuff to get Internet Explorer to work with 24-bit
transparent PNGs.

As you are new to HTML, I would suggest that you do the former of the two
options, until you are ready to delve into server-side stuff.

Nik Coughin

Jens said:
Hello world,

I want to use a PNG graphic with transparent regions on my website.
However, Internet Explorer (latest version from WinXP SP2) displays
transparent regions kind of bluish instead of using the background
color. As I am quite new to HTML, do I have to set special options
for PNG to work?
Jens

http://www.nrkn.com/alpha/

Jens Lenge

I will check out the different approaches.
Thanks for all the advice!
(It's good to know one is not alone in the net...)

Jens

Roy Schestowitz

Jens said:
Hello world,

I want to use a PNG graphic with transparent regions on my website.
However, Internet Explorer (latest version from WinXP SP2) displays
transparent regions kind of bluish instead of using the background color.
As I am quite new to HTML, do I have to set special options for PNG to
work?

Jens

Only two days I had the exact same problem! Mozilla and Konqeror can display
a full-colour PNG with transparency. Window$ (I tested IE5 and 6) wants a
bloody indexed pallete. Unless you ignore Window$ users, you are forced to
reduce the quality of your graphics.

....don't get me started on the way IE renders tables. It drove me nuts
yesterday.

Jeffrey Silverman

Clever client-side stuff that's dynamically created with clever
server-side stuff.

Thank you. That is what I mean. Just because some server-side stuff
creates the code doesn't make it a server-side workaround. It is purely
client side. ("It" being the ActiveX rendering workaround for PNG images
in MSIE)