Pocket IE not consuming download attachments properly.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Mel Grubb, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Mel  Grubb

    Mel Grubb Guest

    I am trying to get a file downloader to work correctly with Pocket IE
    as part of a mobile expansion to an existing product. The downloader
    page acts as a go-between serving files to the browser using a
    technique similar to the one discussed here (<a
    href="http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22533">http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22533</a>).

    If I create a page with a simple link to a document and access it from
    Pocket IE, it will properly save the file, and life is good.

    If I try to go through a downloader, it wants to save every file with
    the name of the downloader page, and won't let me change their types.
    So I end up with a perfectly good copy of that word document
    (conversion notwithstanding), except that it's called
    "DocumentDownloader.aspx", and can't be renamed.

    So, it appears that IE is not properly obeying the
    ("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=X") header of the
    response. Is this a known issue? Is there something else I have to do
    to get pocket IE to react properly? Other mobile browsers (Blackberry
    for instance) are downloading the files just fine, as is the desktop
    IE.

    Before someone suggests simply providing links directly to the files,
    that won't work here. The files are kept in a separate server, the
    downloader page is acting as a go-between for security, ensuring that
    only users with the proper permissions can see a particular file. It's
    integral to the business process and changing it is simply not an
    option... Seriously, don't suggest changing that part.
    Mel Grubb, Dec 17, 2004