Pocket IE not consuming download attachments properly.

Mel Grubb

I am trying to get a file downloader to work correctly with Pocket IE
as part of a mobile expansion to an existing product. The downloader
page acts as a go-between serving files to the browser using a
technique similar to the one discussed here (<a
href="http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22533">http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/22533</a>).

If I create a page with a simple link to a document and access it from
Pocket IE, it will properly save the file, and life is good.

If I try to go through a downloader, it wants to save every file with
the name of the downloader page, and won't let me change their types.
So I end up with a perfectly good copy of that word document
(conversion notwithstanding), except that it's called
"DocumentDownloader.aspx", and can't be renamed.

So, it appears that IE is not properly obeying the
("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=X") header of the
response. Is this a known issue? Is there something else I have to do
to get pocket IE to react properly? Other mobile browsers (Blackberry
for instance) are downloading the files just fine, as is the desktop
IE.

Before someone suggests simply providing links directly to the files,
that won't work here. The files are kept in a separate server, the
downloader page is acting as a go-between for security, ensuring that
only users with the proper permissions can see a particular file. It's
integral to the business process and changing it is simply not an
option... Seriously, don't suggest changing that part.