POD and =encoding ...

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Paul Gaborit, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Paul Gaborit

    Paul Gaborit Guest

    In perlpodspec, I read :

    "=encoding encodingname"

    This command, which should occur early in the document (at least before
    any non-US-ASCII data!), declares that this document is encoded in the
    encoding encodingname, which must be an encoding name that Encoding
    recognizes. (Encoding's list of supported encodings, in
    Encoding::Supported, is useful here.) If the Pod parser cannot decode the
    declared encoding, it should emit a warning and may abort parsing the
    document altogether.

    and, in Encode::Supported :

    The MIME name as defined in IETF RFCs. This includes all "iso-"s.

    Here, my little test (test-pod-encoding.pod) :
    =encoding iso-8859-1

    =head1 NAME

    test-pod-encoding - some diacritics : éàÇÑñ...

    =head2 Tests

    In paragraph. Some diacritics : éàÇÑñ...

    In verbatim. Some diacritics : éàÇÑñ...

    But, using 'perldoc', I got an error :

    % perldoc test-post-encoding.pod
    test-post-encoding.pod:1: Unknown command paragraph "=encoding iso-8859-1"
    [...]
    % perldoc -V
    Perldoc v3.13, under perl v5.008005 for solaris.

    How can I use '=encoding ...' in POD files ?

    --
    Paul Gaborit - <http://www.enstimac.fr/~gaborit/>
    Perl en français - <http://www.enstimac.fr/Perl/>

    Paul Gaborit, Sep 6, 2004