Point and Click Weather Forecasts does not work on all browsers. Why not?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Francis Ardi, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Francis Ardi

    Francis Ardi Guest

    Greetings

    My new "Point and Click" map for obtaining travel weather forecasts
    wokrs well on IE on a computer with the JRE, dowloaded directly
    from Sun.java.com.

    Some users complained that they do not get a map, even though
    their browser (Netscape, UNIX, Linux, etc.) is Java enabled
    and I myself could not run my applet on one particular computer.

    The URL of my site is http://www.click-map.com

    So much for Java's claim of code once, run anywhere.

    Please advise me on why it might not work on some browsers.

    Francis M. Ardi

    Francis Ardi, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Re: Point and Click Weather Forecasts does not work on all browsers.Why not?

    Francis Ardi wrote:
    > Greetings
    >
    > My new "Point and Click" map for obtaining travel weather forecasts
    > wokrs well on IE on a computer with the JRE, dowloaded directly
    > from Sun.java.com.
    >
    > Some users complained that they do not get a map, even though
    > their browser (Netscape, UNIX, Linux, etc.) is Java enabled
    > and I myself could not run my applet on one particular computer.
    >
    > The URL of my site is http://www.click-map.com
    >
    > So much for Java's claim of code once, run anywhere.

    Run anywhere does depend on having compatible Java implementations
    everywhere. If you use any Java 2 features then your applet will not
    run in any version of IE with the MS VM, or in Netscape < 6 with the
    included VM. Also, even in Java it is possible to write
    platform-dependent code, in which case you should expect
    platform-dependent behavior.

    > Please advise me on why it might not work on some browsers.

    You are using the Object tag to embed the applet. Object was not
    standard HTML until HTML 4, although IE implemented it as an extension
    to HTML 3.2. (I'm not certain whether MS' original syntax and semantics
    are 100% compatible with the HTML 4 -- likely someone else around here
    knows.) Some browsers that do support Object may have bugs. In any
    case I would recommend that you supply codetype and codebase attributes
    in your object tag; either one or both together might solve your
    problem, but even if they don't it's still a good idea to include them.
    You may also want to look into Sun's HTML converter tool, which is
    packaged with their Java SDK.

    John Bollinger

    John C. Bollinger, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Francis Ardi

    David Segall Guest

    Posted and emailed:
    "Francis Ardi" <> wrote:

    >Greetings
    >
    >My new "Point and Click" map for obtaining travel weather forecasts
    >wokrs well on IE on a computer with the JRE, dowloaded directly
    >from Sun.java.com.
    >
    >Some users complained that they do not get a map, even though
    >their browser (Netscape, UNIX, Linux, etc.) is Java enabled
    >and I myself could not run my applet on one particular computer.
    >
    >The URL of my site is http://www.click-map.com
    >
    >So much for Java's claim of code once, run anywhere.
    >
    >Please advise me on why it might not work on some browsers.
    >
    >Francis M. Ardi

    First, you should ensure that your HTML conforms to the standard. I
    got over one hundred errors using http://validator.w3.org/. Even if it
    is valid your problem is far more likely to be related to differences
    between interpretations of HTML between browsers than Java
    incompatibilities. If you are brave you can ask the pedants at
    alt.html to check your site. Be warned, they are ruthless critics and
    will chastise you because your site cannot be used by the blind.

    When you have done that Australia should be the next country on your
    list. :) See if http://www.bom.gov.au meets your requirements.

    David Segall, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Francis Ardi

    Sudsy Guest

    Francis Ardi wrote:
    > Greetings
    >
    > My new "Point and Click" map for obtaining travel weather forecasts
    > wokrs well on IE on a computer with the JRE, dowloaded directly
    > from Sun.java.com.
    >
    > Some users complained that they do not get a map, even though
    > their browser (Netscape, UNIX, Linux, etc.) is Java enabled
    > and I myself could not run my applet on one particular computer.
    >
    > The URL of my site is http://www.click-map.com
    >
    > So much for Java's claim of code once, run anywhere.
    >
    > Please advise me on why it might not work on some browsers.
    >
    > Francis M. Ardi

    It doesn't work on Netscape 6 or 7, probably because you've got
    it wrapped in an <OBJECT> tag. A quick search suggests that this
    is somehow broken on Netscape. Doesn't Sun have a tool which
    wraps applets such that they can be viewed on any browser?

    Sudsy, Jul 10, 2003