Point of idle curiosity

Chris Angelico

(if you'll forgive the pun)

Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

ChrisA

Steven D'Aprano

(if you'll forgive the pun)

Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

Well, IDLE is an IDE. The L doesn't seem to mean anything, so it's
plausible that it is named after Eric Idle.

Chris Angelico

Thanks both. I went looking at the docs, but didn't find anything
conclusive either way. It's sometimes hard to know just how much Monty
Python there is in the language... which justified me getting a bit
naughty a couple of weeks ago and almost citing the Python language
in-character in my Dungeons and Dragons campaign:

"There is still a cheeseshop owned by his family. It's called PyPi,
though whether that's an abbreviation for something or not is not
reported here."

And then when they went to the place, I described it thusly:

"It's all done up with a pythonic decor. Everything's nicely done up
with snakes; the walls have indented blocks with no braces on them."

Now I just need to find a signwriter and graphic designer named Eric
Haffabee, laying around idle all the time... or maybe that's too
obscure a set of references.

ChrisA