  1. (if you'll forgive the pun)

    Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Nov 18, 2012

  2. On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:45:43 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

    > (if you'll forgive the pun)
    >
    > Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

    Well, IDLE is an IDE. The L doesn't seem to mean anything, so it's
    plausible that it is named after Eric Idle.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Nov 18, 2012

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDLE_(Python)

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.
    Mark Lawrence, Nov 18, 2012
  4. On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 3:08 AM, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    > On 18/11/2012 15:59, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:45:43 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:
    >>
    >>> (if you'll forgive the pun)
    >>>
    >>> Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

    >> Well, IDLE is an IDE. The L doesn't seem to mean anything, so it's
    >> plausible that it is named after Eric Idle.

    > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDLE_(Python)

    Thanks both. I went looking at the docs, but didn't find anything
    conclusive either way. It's sometimes hard to know just how much Monty
    Python there is in the language... which justified me getting a bit
    naughty a couple of weeks ago and almost citing the Python language
    in-character in my Dungeons and Dragons campaign:

    "There is still a cheeseshop owned by his family. It's called PyPi,
    though whether that's an abbreviation for something or not is not
    reported here."

    And then when they went to the place, I described it thusly:

    "It's all done up with a pythonic decor. Everything's nicely done up
    with snakes; the walls have indented blocks with no braces on them."

    Now I just need to find a signwriter and graphic designer named Eric
    Haffabee, laying around idle all the time... or maybe that's too
    obscure a set of references.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Nov 18, 2012
  5. Am 18.11.2012 12:45, schrieb Chris Angelico:
    > (if you'll forgive the pun)

    Nevarr!

    > Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

    Maybe. Interestingly, there is also
    http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/, just to add some more unfounded
    conspiracy theories to this discussion. :p

    Uli
    Ulrich Eckhardt, Nov 19, 2012
  6. On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Ulrich Eckhardt
    <> wrote:
    > Am 18.11.2012 12:45, schrieb Chris Angelico:
    >> Is IDLE named after Eric of that name, or is it pure coincidence?

    > Maybe. Interestingly, there is also http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/,
    > just to add some more unfounded conspiracy theories to this discussion. :p

    Wait, that's completely separate. I don't think Eric Idle was ever a
    member of the Eric Conspiracy.

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/ecsl/

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Nov 19, 2012