Point of Sale - UPC Code

Xanadu

hi all

I am building a Point of Sale Application using Javascript.
I want my end-user to enter the UPC Code into a text field (either
key-in or scan) and once he does that I want the system to get the
details of the product corresponding to that UPC and propogate in
other form fields.
For this I dont want to go to server. Imagine everytime going to a
server like for eg. when the user buys a candy and then a can of coke
and then water or watever.
The UPC Code database is present locally.
(I read abt jsSQl but I am not sure if it wud scale upto such a huge
database like UPC ..)
Any inputs ?...thanks so much in advance.

Wishes
-Xanadu