Pointer arithmetic question

Kenneth Brody

Given the following:

char *ptr1, *ptr2;
size_t n;

ptr2 = ptr1 + n;

Assuming ptr1 is a valid pointer, is the following guaranteed to be true?

(ptr2 - ptr1) == n

What if n is greater than the size of the buffer to which ptr1 points?

For example:

char buf[10];
char *pt = buf + 100;
size_t n = (pt - buf);

Is n guaranteed to be 100? Or, does the simple act of calculating an
address off the end of the buffer (beyond the address that immediately
follows the buffer) invoke UB?

Vladimir S. Oka

Kenneth said:
Given the following:

char *ptr1, *ptr2;
size_t n;

ptr2 = ptr1 + n;

Undefined behaviour if n > 1. You must not dereference ptr2 if n
== 1, but no overflow is generated. OK if n == 0.
Assuming ptr1 is a valid pointer, is the following guaranteed to be true?

(ptr2 - ptr1) == n

What if n is greater than the size of the buffer to which ptr1 points?

For example:

char buf[10];
char *pt = buf + 100;

Undefined behaviour (same C&V as above).
You can only go one past the end of the array, and then
you must not try to dereference the resultant pointer.
size_t n = (pt - buf);

Correct type for n is diffptr_t from stddef.h
Is n guaranteed to be 100? Or, does the simple act of calculating an
address off the end of the buffer (beyond the address that immediately
follows the buffer) invoke UB?

Yes it does.

Cheers

Vladimir

PS
C&V: 6.5.6.x, esp. 6.5.6.7-11.

Vladimir S. Oka

Vladimir said:
Correct type for n is diffptr_t from stddef.h

Would've easily won fastest-fingers-first... :-(

It's ptrdiff_t from <stddef.h>, of course.

Sorry

Vladimir

mdler

Hello

Adding pointers is not just 1+1 = 2 but the type of the pointer is
importand.

example

double *a, b[100];
a= b;
printf("b-a=%d",a-(a+1));

give 4 because the sizeod double is 4 byte

subtract is straight forward
plus is size of pointer type

so you can do also

double a[100];

now is (&a[10] == a+10) gives TRUE
wich type a is is not importand.

Greetings

Thomas Maier-Komor

Vladimir said:
Undefined behaviour if n > 1. You must not dereference ptr2 if n == 1,
but no overflow is generated. OK if n == 0.

IMHO, this is not quite correct.

It depends where ptr1 is pointing to. If ptr1 is pointing to a single
char object, then n must not be anything else than 0 or 1.

If ptr1 is pointing somewhere into an array of char, then n is allowed
to be something else than 1 or 0. You must only make sure that the
resulting pointer points to a valid place in the array or one past the
end. Any other location will trigger UB.

The relevant section is 6.5.6 paragraphs 7 and 8:
For the purposes of these operators, a pointer to an object that is not
an element of an
array behaves the same as a pointer to the first element of an array of
length one with the
type of the object as its element type.

When an expression that has integer type is added to or subtracted from
a pointer, the
result has the type of the pointer operand. If the pointer operand
points to an element of
an array object, and the array is large enough, the result points to an
element offset from
the original element such that the difference of the subscripts of the
resulting and original
array elements equals the integer expression. In other words, if the
expression P points to
the i-th element of an array object, the expressions (P)+N
(equivalently, N+(P)) and
(P)-N (where N has the value n) point to, respectively, the i+n-th and
i−n-th elements of
the array object, provided they exist. Moreover, if the expression P
points to the last
element of an array object, the expression (P)+1 points one past the
last element of the
array object, and if the expression Q points one past the last element
of an array object,
the expression (Q)-1 points to the last element of the array object. If
both the pointer
operand and the result point to elements of the same array object, or
one past the last
element of the array object, the evaluation shall not produce an
overflow; otherwise, the
behavior is undefined. If the result points one past the last element of
the array object, it
shall not be used as the operand of a unary * operator that is evaluated.

Tom

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=

mdler said:
Adding pointers is not just 1+1 = 2 but the type of the pointer is
importand.

example

double *a, b[100];
a= b;
printf("b-a=%d",a-(a+1));

give 4 because the sizeod double is 4 byte

No. It prints -1.

I assume that what you actually meant to write was something like

printf("%d\n", &b[1] - &b[0]);

which prints 1 regardless of the value of sizeof(b[0]).

I suggest you read §6.5.6 carefully. To summarize, subtracting one
pointer from another is only permitted when they both point to
elements of the same array object, or one past the last element, and
the result is the difference between the subscripts of the elements
the pointers point to, so in effect:

&a - &a[j] == i - j

DES

Vladimir S. Oka

Thomas said:
IMHO, this is not quite correct.

It depends where ptr1 is pointing to. If ptr1 is pointing to a single
char object, then n must not be anything else than 0 or 1.

If ptr1 is pointing somewhere into an array of char, then n is allowed
to be something else than 1 or 0. You must only make sure that the
resulting pointer points to a valid place in the array or one past the
end. Any other location will trigger UB.

What you're saying is entirely correct (I point to same C&V).

However, given what Kenneth posted, ptr1 and ptr2 point to a
char object, not an array. They may be made to point to an array
of char, but there's no telling whether they are in this case.

Cheers

Vladimir

Richard Tobin

Kenneth Brody said:
Given the following:

char *ptr1, *ptr2;
size_t n;

ptr2 = ptr1 + n;

Stop right there! This is only allowed if it doesn't point beyond the
end of the object that ptr1 points into.
Assuming ptr1 is a valid pointer, is the following guaranteed to be true?

(ptr2 - ptr1) == n

If the above condition holds, yes.
What if n is greater than the size of the buffer to which ptr1 points?

No, and you've already gone wrong when you do the addition.
Or, does the simple act of calculating an
address off the end of the buffer (beyond the address that immediately
follows the buffer) invoke UB?

Yes, exactly.

Of course, it works perfectly well with natural C implementations on
linear address-space machines.

-- Richard

Michael Mair

Richard said:
Stop right there! This is only allowed if it doesn't point beyond the
end of the object that ptr1 points into.

One past the end is allowed, too.
Think of, e.g.
while (*(ptr1++) != '\0')

<snip>

Cheers
Michael

Richard Tobin

Stop right there! This is only allowed if it doesn't point beyond the
end of the object that ptr1 points into.
[/QUOTE]
One past the end is allowed, too.
Think of, e.g.
while (*(ptr1++) != '\0')

I was considering that as pointing to the end, but thanks for
clarifying.

-- Richard

Kenneth Brody

Richard said:
Stop right there! This is only allowed if it doesn't point beyond the
end of the object that ptr1 points into.

Yes, I realize that. I was wondering if the mere calculation would
introduce UB, since I will never actually dereference the bad pointer.
Given the replies I've seen, the answer appears to be "yes, it does".
If the above condition holds, yes.

No, and you've already gone wrong when you do the addition.

Yes, exactly.

Of course, it works perfectly well with natural C implementations on
linear address-space machines.

Unfortunately, we all know that "works on system X does not mean that
it's valid code".

I was hoping to be able to take some existing code and enhance the
functionality (basically, building an array of struct which include
pointers into a buffer, where the buffer size used to be a known
quantity before the calculations, to one where the size wouldn't be
known until after building the array) without having to change the
basic interface. Looks like I'll have to take a different approach.
(And I'm not going to resort to storing (int)offset in a (char *)ptr,
which also "works" on these systems.)

Thanks to all those who responded.

Keith Thompson

Vladimir S. Oka said:
What you're saying is entirely correct (I point to same C&V).

However, given what Kenneth posted, ptr1 and ptr2 point to a char
object, not an array. They may be made to point to an array of char,
but there's no telling whether they are in this case.

Given what Kenneth posted, we have no idea what ptr1 and ptr2 point
to. If we take the code snippet literally, they're both
uninitialized, and any attempt to refer to the value of either invokes
undefined behavior, but we can reasonably assume that they're
initialized to *something*. In answering his question, we should take
all possibilities into account, particularly since char* pointers are
most commonly used to point to arrays rather than single char objects.

Thomas Maier-Komor

Vladimir said:
What you're saying is entirely correct (I point to same C&V).

However, given what Kenneth posted, ptr1 and ptr2 point to a char
object, not an array. They may be made to point to an array of char, but
there's no telling whether they are in this case.

Cheers

Vladimir

OK - I agree. But if you don't know where ptr1 is pointing, you cannot
assume safely that it is a char object. Beside an object in a char
array, it could also be a null pointer. However, in the case of ptr1
being null, n must be 0. For any other value of n you will get UB.

Cheers,
Tom

Keith Thompson

Thomas Maier-Komor said:
OK - I agree. But if you don't know where ptr1 is pointing, you cannot
assume safely that it is a char object. Beside an object in a char
array, it could also be a null pointer. However, in the case of ptr1
being null, n must be 0. For any other value of n you will get UB.

Actually, adding 0 to a null pointer invokes undefined behavior:

If both the pointer operand and the result point to elements of
the same array object, or one past the last element of the array
object, the evaluation shall not produce an overflow; otherwise,
the behavior is undefined.

It's likely to quietly yield a null pointer on most implementations,
but the standard doesn't require it.

Kenneth Brody

Keith said:
Given what Kenneth posted, we have no idea what ptr1 and ptr2 point
to. If we take the code snippet literally, they're both
uninitialized, and any attempt to refer to the value of either invokes
undefined behavior, but we can reasonably assume that they're
initialized to *something*. In answering his question, we should take
all possibilities into account, particularly since char* pointers are
most commonly used to point to arrays rather than single char objects.

Yes, the first part was just a snippet to explain the principle, with the
assumption that people would understand that ptr1 and n would contain
valid values. I also included a specific example:

char buf[10];
char *pt = buf + 100;
size_t n = (pt - buf);

pete

Kenneth Brody wrote:
char buf[10];
char *pt = buf + 100;
size_t n = (pt - buf);

For that example:

(buf + 10) is defined
(buf + 11) is undefined
buf[9] is defined
buf[10] is undefined

Thomas Maier-Komor

Keith said:
Actually, adding 0 to a null pointer invokes undefined behavior:

If both the pointer operand and the result point to elements of
the same array object, or one past the last element of the array
object, the evaluation shall not produce an overflow; otherwise,
the behavior is undefined.

It's likely to quietly yield a null pointer on most implementations,
but the standard doesn't require it.

I understand your reasoning, but I doubt that the quoted paragraph means
what you are saying, because the null pointer does not point to an
object. The null pointer is a little bit special in many concerns. I am
unsure if it is special in this context. Maybe you are right, but then
there must be a paragraph somewhere stating what happens when adding an
integer to a null pointer. I don't have the standard at hand right now,
but maybe I will search it on a Monday a little bit deeper for an
appropriate paragraph.

Cheers,
Tom

Flash Gordon

Thomas said:
I understand your reasoning, but I doubt that the quoted paragraph means
what you are saying, because the null pointer does not point to an
object. The null pointer is a little bit special in many concerns. I am
unsure if it is special in this context. Maybe you are right, but then
there must be a paragraph somewhere stating what happens when adding an
integer to a null pointer. I don't have the standard at hand right now,
but maybe I will search it on a Monday a little bit deeper for an
appropriate paragraph.

I believe there is no such paragraph defining pointer arithmetic on the
null pointer, although it is of course impossible to prove a negative.
After all, of what use is it given that you have the offsetof macro and
sizeof operator available to you? Why define something that is not needed?

Keith Thompson

Thomas Maier-Komor said:
I understand your reasoning, but I doubt that the quoted paragraph
means what you are saying, because the null pointer does not point to
an object. The null pointer is a little bit special in many
concerns. I am unsure if it is special in this context. Maybe you are
right, but then there must be a paragraph somewhere stating what
happens when adding an integer to a null pointer. I don't have the
standard at hand right now, but maybe I will search it on a Monday a
little bit deeper for an appropriate paragraph.

You're right, the quoted paragraph doesn't say that adding an integer
to a null pointer invokes undefined behavior. It's implied by the
fact that the standard doesn't define the behavior (and if it did,
that paragraph, or one in the same section, would be the place to do
it). Undefined behavior includes cases where the standard fails to
state what the behavior is.

Keith Thompson

Flash Gordon said:
I believe there is no such paragraph defining pointer arithmetic on
the null pointer, although it is of course impossible to prove a
negative. After all, of what use is it given that you have the
offsetof macro and sizeof operator available to you? Why define
something that is not needed?

In this case, it's quite possible to prove a negative, since the
standard is finite.