    I read a lot about "pointer mutation" measurements in C programs. What's
    pointer mutation? How does it help in measuring C programs? I'm confused :(

    Rick

    Rick, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Rick

    CBFalconer Guest

    Rick wrote:

    > I read a lot about "pointer mutation" measurements in C programs.
    > What's pointer mutation? How does it help in measuring C programs?
    > I'm confused :(

    Since this is not mentioned in the C standard, it is off-topic.
    We are now free to give any response we wish, secure in the
    knowledge that it cannot be contradicted here.

    Pointers are normally stored in memory cells, which are often
    dynamic solid-state memories. Such cell contents are subject to
    alteration by stray cosmic rays, thus 'mutating' the content of
    the overall object into something else. This mutation together
    with natural selection is the basis of the evolution of the C
    language. Since memory systems with ECC are to all practical
    purposes immune to such cosmic ray mutation, the C language has
    made no advances on machines with such ECC protection.

    A corollary is that C language advances are more prolific at
    higher altitudes, but virtually never occur in deep mine shafts.

    --
    Chuck F () ()

    CBFalconer, Nov 16, 2003

  3. I think pointer mutation is relevant in languages that support
    garbage collection. The garbage collector might relocate a memory area.
    At that point, all pointers to that area of memory also need to be updated.

    Sandeep
    --
    http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
    EventStudio 2.0 - Generate Sequence Diagrams and Use Case Diagrams in PDF

    EventHelix.com, Nov 17, 2003