policy based design, and traits

Martin Vorbrodt

please be so kind and direct me to as many sources as you can regarding the
*subject* matter. i'm new to the topic and would like to learn as much as
possible.

thank you in advance

martin

Victor Bazarov

Martin said:
please be so kind and direct me to as many sources as you can
regarding the *subject* matter. i'm new to the topic and would like
to learn as much as possible.

Andrei Alexandrescu, "Modern C++ Design", get a copy. When you have
gone through it, ask more questions.

mlimber

Victor said:
Andrei Alexandrescu, "Modern C++ Design", get a copy. When you have
gone through it, ask more questions.

_MC++D_ is indeed the primary resource for policy-based design. You
could also read Alexandrescu's columns in the _C/C++ Users Journal_ in
which he not infrequently touches on the subject: cuj.com. As for
traits and such, you could look into Boost's documentation: boost.org.
Then there's always comp.lang.c++.moderated, comp.lang.c++, and
comp.std.c++ where Alexandrescu and other knowledgeable folk lurk.

Cheers! --M

Martin Vorbrodt

Victor Bazarov said:
Andrei Alexandrescu, "Modern C++ Design", get a copy. When you have
gone through it, ask more questions.

started reading it today (for the second time i must add, last time got to
chapter six and, well, got a little confused. but that was a while ago).
i'll get back with more questions in few days, of that you can be cartain:)

Martin V

mlimber

Martin said:
started reading it today (for the second time i must add, last time got to
chapter six and, well, got a little confused. but that was a while ago).
i'll get back with more questions in few days, of that you can be cartain:)

The first four chapters of MC++D are the tools used throughout the
book, and when I read the book, I went through the first two chapters
and skimmed the next two. Then I jumped to the chapters on factories (8
and 9) and then smart pointers (7), which were the parts that I was
interested in at the time. I referred back to chapter 3 on typelists
when they became important in chapter 9 and to chapter 4 on small
object allocation when it came up in chapter 7, but not before.

I'd suggest doing something similar: read part of the "Techniques" in
the first four chapters, then jump to the application of them that is
most relevant for you. If none of the applications stand out, go to
chapter 8, which presents a very useful and simple design pattern, the
object factory. (Smart pointers are more universally relevant, but that
chapter is a bit more complex and requires chapter 4 also.) Once you
have an idea of how things work, you'll be better able to get your mind
around the more complex material presented in the other chapters.

It's also handy to have _Design Patterns_ handy, since MC++D references
it a lot.

BTW, Alexandrescu with David Held wrote a series four articles fixing a
bug in the exception safety of the smart pointer from chapter 7
starting in October 2003 in the CUJ Online Experts Forum and continuing
in the magazine in the December 2003 issue
(http://www.cuj.com/documents/s=8890/cujexp0310alexandr/alexandr.htm).

Cheers! --M