Poll two web servers and send to traffic to the currently live ser

Guest

Would it be possible to write an asp script that would poll two web servers
and send traffic to the currently live server? Would we also need a program
running in the background on the server hosting the site for that script to
execute, I dont know alot about asp.
We would like to setup a simple website with a script such as above, hosted
at another provider, that would direct traffic to an active web server, in
the event that primary server fails.
If it is possible, can someone help me writing asp script?

Thanks,
Hamid