    Who the Master and who the slave?
    Who is the knave and who is the fool?
    Who needs to apologize and go back to school?
    spinoza1111, Oct 26, 2009

  2. spinoza1111

    Clot Hears Guest

    In article
    <>,
    spinoza1111 <> wrote:

    > "I have never taken any computer science classes" - Peter Seebach 26
    > Oct 2003 (with pride)
    > "In f(a,b) there is a comma operator. No wait. I was wrong" - Edward
    > G. Nilges
    >
    > POLL:
    >
    > (1) Who is the bigger fool?
    > (2) Who is the bigger knave?
    >

    > Who is the fool and who the knave?
    > Who the Master and who the slave?
    > Who is the knave and who is the fool?
    > Who needs to apologize and go back to school?

    What's this? Spinny practising for his new career as a Fool?
    --
    Clothears
    Clot Hears, Oct 26, 2009

  3. spinoza1111

    Seebs Guest

    On 2009-10-26, Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    > In
    ><>,
    > spinoza1111 wrote:
    >> "I have never taken any computer science classes" - Peter Seebach 26
    >> Oct 2003 (with pride)

    > Lots of programmers have picked up their knowledge as they go along,
    > and some of them are very bright bunnies indeed.

    It's entirely possible that, by sheer coincidence, I said this exact
    thing both earlier today (or yesterday, but in a different time zone)
    and also exactly six years ago, but it seems more likely to me by far
    that Spinny's guessed the year wrong.

    But there's a more significant error, which is the attribution "(with pride)".
    So far as I can tell, this is pretty much guaranteed to be in error, as
    my brain does not appear to generate the experiences usually referred to
    by the word "pride" (or by the word "shame"; at least I'm an equal-opportunity
    sort). I am neither proud of, nor ashamed of, the coincidence that I never
    happen to have taken a CS class. It has sometimes been a bit of a nuisance
    in terms of trying to get my job done, but then, the degree I *did* pick
    up (psych) turns out to have been, arguably, more useful to me. (I also
    did most of math and philosophy degrees, and have no regrets about either.)

    It probably would have been useful to pick up CS, and certainly I did pick
    a fair bit up by osmosis and exposure.

    Mostly, though, I mentioned it because it was funny to me to see speculation
    that my background came from having taken only advanced CS courses. The
    selection of errors (the assertion that AP classes are universally not
    comparable to "real" college classes, the assertion that it's having only
    overspecialized advanced CS training that causes people to disagree with
    Our Hero, etcetera) was astounding, and it's rare that a single datum can
    disprove so many theories at once.

    > A rare recognition and admission of error on your part. Well done for
    > both, but it's a solitary glimmer in a very dark sky.

    That said, I do have to concede the point -- clearly, he is capable of
    admitting at least one error.

    (BTW, is his poll lyrics from something? 'cuz if not, it totally should be.)

    -s
    Seebs, Oct 26, 2009
  4. spinoza1111

    user923005 Guest

    On Oct 25, 10:51 pm, spinoza1111 <> wrote:
    > "I have never taken any computer science classes" - Peter Seebach 26
    > Oct 2003 (with pride)

    Jesus never attended Seminary, but he did OK.

    > "In f(a,b) there is a comma operator. No wait. I was wrong" - Edward
    > G. Nilges
    >
    > POLL:
    >
    > (1) Who is the bigger fool?
    > (2) Who is the bigger knave?

    This isn't a poll, it's a game.

    > Who is the fool and who the knave?

    a punching bag, down to the grave.

    > Who the Master and who the slave?

    The attenion whore will always crave?

    > Who is the knave and who is the fool?

    Who is the doof in his own sticky drool?

    > Who needs to apologize and go back to school?

    Who smells like a day old stool?
    user923005, Oct 26, 2009