poll

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Robin, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Robin, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Robin

    Uri Guttman Guest

    Uri Guttman, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Robin

    Larry Guest

    Uri Guttman wrote:

    > R> Check out my latest poll,
    > R> http://pubweb.csf.edu/~robin/reachcac/reach/cgi-bin/poll.cgi
    > R> -Robin
    >
    > where is the 'robin is an idiot' selection?

    Is such hostility and arrogance common in this forum? I sure hope not but
    recent discussions I've read are proving it to be true.

    > what does this have to do with perl? i see no perl code in there or in
    > your post.

    Just because you do not see the code does not mean that it is not there.
    Obviously it is written in perl given that it is a cgi file. Robin is
    probably just showing an example of his or her work. There's no need for
    an attack.

    --
    www.eSnider.net
    Larry, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Robin

    Uri Guttman Guest

    L> Uri Guttman wrote:
    >>
    >> where is the 'robin is an idiot' selection?

    L> Is such hostility and arrogance common in this forum? I sure hope
    L> not but recent discussions I've read are proving it to be true.

    not really. but sometimes somethings deserve a good smacking.

    >> what does this have to do with perl? i see no perl code in there or in
    >> your post.

    L> Just because you do not see the code does not mean that it is not
    L> there. Obviously it is written in perl given that it is a cgi
    L> file. Robin is probably just showing an example of his or her
    L> work. There's no need for an attack.

    bah! CGI ne Perl. please learn that before you learn another perl
    thing. cgi is a way for a web server to run programs on behalf of a web
    query. said programs can be written in ANY language. perl just happens
    to be a very popular langauge for that. do you also think the net is
    only the web?

    as for the OP, this is a perl newsgroup and not a cgi one. if she asked
    a perl question or posted perl code along with that, it would have been
    fine. but showing just the poll page is useless and i still call it
    dumb. it is not an attack on her but on the post itself.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Robin

    Larry Guest

    Uri Guttman wrote:

    > bah! CGI ne Perl. please learn that before you learn another perl
    > thing. cgi is a way for a web server to run programs on behalf of a web
    > query. said programs can be written in ANY language. perl just happens
    > to be a very popular langauge for that.

    I realize that and recognize that my choice of words was poor.

    > do you also think the net is only the web?

    You mean there's more to net than just AOL? LOL! I've been involved with
    various aspects of the internet for many years now.

    > if she asked a perl question or posted perl code along with that, it would
    > have been fine. but showing just the poll page is useless and i still call
    > it dumb. it is not an attack on her but on the post itself.

    Agreed.

    --
    www.eSnider.net
    Larry, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Robin

    Keith Keller Guest

    Keith Keller, Jan 2, 2004
  7. Robin

    Tom Guest

    > > do you also think the net is only the web?
    >
    > You mean there's more to net than just AOL? LOL! I've been involved with
    > various aspects of the internet for many years now.

    He's talking about the Internet as a whole...there are other webs besides
    the internet.
    Tom, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Larry wrote:
    [...]
    > Just because you do not see the code does not mean that it is not
    > there. Obviously it is written in perl given that it is a cgi file.

    How did you come to that illusion?

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jan 2, 2004
  9. Larry <> wrote:

    >> R> Check out my latest poll,
    >> R> http://pubweb.csf.edu/~robin/reachcac/reach/cgi-bin/poll.cgi
    >> R> -Robin
    >>
    >> where is the 'robin is an idiot' selection?

    > Is such hostility and arrogance common in this forum?

    If you lurk for awhile you will be able to decide for yourself.

    >> what does this have to do with perl?

    > Obviously it is written in perl given that it is a cgi file.

    That is an absurd conclusion.

    You have a serious misunderstanding of the technologies involved
    if you think that that is true.

    You can use just about any programming language that you choose for
    writing CGI programs.

    > There's no need for
    > an attack.

    Making off-topic posts is reason for an attack in any newsgroup,
    there is nothing specific to clp.misc in it.

    Making an off-topic post is universally seen as being rude.

    Be prepared to reap what you sow.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Jan 2, 2004
  10. Robin

    Larry Guest

    Tom wrote:

    >> > do you also think the net is only the web?

    >> You mean there's more to net than just AOL? LOL! I've been involved
    >> with various aspects of the internet for many years now.
    >>

    > He's talking about the Internet as a whole...there are other webs besides
    > the internet.

    I know. That's why I made that horrible joke. :)

    --
    www.eSnider.net
    Larry, Jan 3, 2004
  11. Robin

    Uri Guttman Guest

    and the OP write to me directly.

    R> yeah, but where's a good cgi newsgroup, seriously?

    have you looked? asked google? did you scan your newsserver for groups
    with cgi in their name?

    why did you write me? why didn't you ask this in the group?

    why am i asking these questions?

    why am i here?

    why is there air? (5 points if you answer that correctly).

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Jan 5, 2004
  12. Robin

    Robin Guest

    and can u give me a free shell account if I figure out why is there air?
    thanks,
    -robin

    http://www.stemsystems.com
    > --Perl Consulting, Stem Development, Systems Architecture, Design and

    Coding-

    http://jobs.perl.org
    Robin, Jan 5, 2004
  13. Robin

    Uri Guttman Guest

    R> and can u give me a free shell account if I figure out why is there air?

    not if you keep top posting. read the group guidelines which are posted
    regularly.

    <snip of ENTIRE QUOTE EMAIL>

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Jan 5, 2004
  14. Robin

    Sara Guest

    Larry <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > R> Check out my latest poll,
    > > R> http://pubweb.csf.edu/~robin/reachcac/reach/cgi-bin/poll.cgi
    > > R> -Robin
    > >
    > > where is the 'robin is an idiot' selection?

    > Is such hostility and arrogance common in this forum? I sure hope not but
    > recent discussions I've read are proving it to be true.

    Pretty common yes. A very informative bunch, when asked the right
    question in the right way. But as is common in geekdoms, pretty much
    humourless. Don't expect to come here "for the fun of it!"..

    > > what does this have to do with perl? i see no perl code in there or in
    > > your post.

    > Just because you do not see the code does not mean that it is not there.
    > Obviously it is written in perl given that it is a cgi file. Robin is
    > probably just showing an example of his or her work. There's no need for
    > an attack.

    Well the original post did seem pretty offbase didn't it? Its
    relationship to Perl or this group is at best, indeterminant. WHat if
    they DID use Perl code- so what? What has that to do with this group?
    DO you think an announcement is appropritate in this group everytime
    someone writes a Perl script?
    Sara, Jan 5, 2004
  15. Robin

    Sara Guest

    Uri Guttman <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > and the OP write to me directly.

    > R> yeah, but where's a good cgi newsgroup, seriously?
    >
    > have you looked? asked google? did you scan your newsserver for groups
    > with cgi in their name?
    >
    > why did you write me? why didn't you ask this in the group?
    >
    > why am i asking these questions?
    >
    > why am i here?
    >
    > why is there air? (5 points if you answer that correctly).
    >
    > uri

    Uri:

    There is air in space where there is no absence of air. That's why its
    there. If there was an absence, there would be no air. QED
    Sara, Jan 5, 2004
  16. Uri Guttman <> wrote:

    > why is there air?

    To keep my head from imploding due to the vacuum?

    Tad McClellan, Jan 5, 2004
  17. In article <>, Tad McClellan wrote:
    > Uri Guttman <> wrote:
    >

    >> why is there air?

    > To keep my head from imploding due to the vacuum?

    Jeez, don't you kids know *anything* nowadays? :)

    There's air to blow up vollyballs! Blow up basketballs!

    In the same vein, I shall recommend Midol for the imploding head
    thing...

    dha

    .... we didn't know what the hell we were doing, but we did it loud.
    - Andy Partidge on early XTC
    David H. Adler, Jan 5, 2004
  18. Robin

    Uri Guttman Guest

    DHA> In article <>, Tad McClellan wrote:
    >> Uri Guttman <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> why is there air?

    >> To keep my head from imploding due to the vacuum?

    DHA> Jeez, don't you kids know *anything* nowadays? :)

    DHA> There's air to blow up vollyballs! Blow up basketballs!

    DING! DING! DING!! dha gets the points.

    now all of you kiddies, go out and find some of bill cosby's albums from
    the 60's. listen. laugh. learn.

    bill cosby is a very funny fellow. RIGHT!!

    :)

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Jan 5, 2004
  19. Uri Guttman wrote:

    > >> To keep my head from imploding due to the vacuum?

    > DHA> Jeez, don't you kids know *anything* nowadays? :)
    >
    > DHA> There's air to blow up vollyballs! Blow up basketballs!
    >
    > DING! DING! DING!! dha gets the points.
    >
    > now all of you kiddies, go out and find some of bill cosby's albums from
    > the 60's. listen. laugh. learn.
    >
    > bill cosby is a very funny fellow. RIGHT!!

    "...so I get to the top of the hill--and some moron has put a stop sign
    at the top of the hill. I figure the city didn't put it there; some guy
    went to the Army-Navy store, bought himself a stop sign, and is up there
    right now with binoculars, "Look Martha, we caught somebody"..."

    hris Mattern
    Chris Mattern, Jan 5, 2004
  20. Robin

    Don Stefani Guest

    Chris Mattern wrote:

    >> imploding due to the vacuum?
    >>
    >> DHA> Jeez, don't you kids know *anything* nowadays? :)
    >>
    >> DHA> There's air to blow up vollyballs! Blow up basketballs!
    >>
    >> DING! DING! DING!! dha gets the points.
    >>
    >> now all of you kiddies, go out and find some of bill cosby's albums from
    >> the 60's. listen. laugh. learn.
    >>
    >> bill cosby is a very funny fellow. RIGHT!!
    >>

    > "...so I get to the top of the hill--and some moron has put a stop sign
    > at the top of the hill. I figure the city didn't put it there; some guy
    > went to the Army-Navy store, bought himself a stop sign, and is up there
    > right now with binoculars, "Look Martha, we caught somebody"..."
    >
    > hris Mattern

    Perhaps someone should start "Perl Buck-Buck" ?!?!?!
    Don Stefani, Jan 5, 2004