polyphony of average sound card

inkexit

I'd like to know how many sounds I can play at once using the average
pc. of course, average is rather vague. let's say, 1 gigahertz, 256
mb ram, and a 16 bit 44.1 khz sound card. the complete sample library
I will be playing back samples from is about 30 MBs total, the
individual samples are about 50 KB. if I construct a program from
scratch using C to play these sounds, how many could be sounded
concurrently?

Victor Bazarov

I'd like to know how many sounds I can play at once [..]

This is off-topic. C++ has no means to "play sounds" except
outputting '\a', which is implementation-specific "alarm".
Please ask in a newsgroup for your OS.

Sherm Pendley

using C to play these sounds, how many could be sounded
concurrently?

None, unless you use some platform-specific library to play them. Try asking
in a group that's dedicated to sound programming on your target platform.

sherm--

roberts.noah

I'd like to know how many sounds I can play at once using the average
pc.

The "average" PC has some pos. Most are only capable of playing one
sound at a time. If you are talking about MIDI, most these days are
not capable of MIDI.

There are some few soundcards at the "average" PC level that can do
more than one output track at once and have onboard mixers. Some
operating systems can deal with that and others can't. Finding out is
pretty specific and I have no clue on any OS how to do it. In Linux
you would want to read on programming for ALSA.

Niklas Norrthon

The "average" PC has some pos. Most are only capable of playing one
sound at a time. If you are talking about MIDI, most these days are
not capable of MIDI.

There are some few soundcards at the "average" PC level that can do
more than one output track at once and have onboard mixers. Some
operating systems can deal with that and others can't. Finding out is
pretty specific and I have no clue on any OS how to do it. In Linux
you would want to read on programming for ALSA.

Wrong newsgroup?