Pooling shared resources

Discussion in 'Java' started by Maciej, Aug 10, 2007.

  1. Maciej

    Maciej Guest

    Hi,

    I want to develop a pool of shared resources: let's say auctioning
    houses. Each auctioning house (which in fact is an active object) can
    handle maximally X negotiations at once. And thus I've started to
    design a pool with resources queued in a priority queue, where X is
    maximum priority of the resource (i.e. auctioning house). The head of
    the queue contains always resource with the highest priority (the
    smallest number of actually handled negotiations) and everytime
    resource is check-out from the pool, its priority gets decreased. When
    the priority hits 0, resource is removed from the queue. Checking-in
    resource to the pool works in exactly reverse way.

    Is it the right model for this task ?
    Do you any generic solutions for pooling with priorities ?
    I mean not only ideas but also implementations in Java to learn on
    examples ?

    Regards,

    Maciej

    Maciej, Aug 10, 2007