Poor HTML of Newspaper Sites

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Andrew, Oct 10, 2006.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi,

    I have recently cancelled my newspaper delivery and switched to
    reading newspapers online. I have been pleased to see so many
    newspapers around the world putting their current issues online but
    more than a little horrified that the html / css used makes the pages
    so difficult to read:

    1. Fixed width layout designed for (very) small viewing screen.
    2. Font size specified too small, larger size breaks layout
    3. Average of 300 (some 600) or so W3C errors per page
    3. Screen cluttered with navigation and advertising at the expense of
    content.

    Does anybody have a better experience with newspaper sites or any
    thoughts on some of the failings I have mentioned?

    The newspaper sites I regularly look at (not all are equally
    difficult to read) are:

    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/
    http://www.smh.com.au/
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/
    http://www.nytimes.com/
    http://www.ireland.com/
    http://www.theherald.co.uk/
    http://metimes.com/
    http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/

    Thanks for your trouble, hope this question / comment is not a little
    OT :)

    Andrew
    --

    Andrew
    http://www.andrews-corner.org/

    Andrew, Oct 10, 2006

  2. Andrew

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Andrew wrote:

    > Does anybody have a better experience with newspaper sites or any
    > thoughts on some of the failings I have mentioned?

    1. Yes. You've only just noticed ? :cool:

    2. Don't tell us, tell them. You're preaching to the choir here. We
    sympathise, but we had already found this out for ourselves. The best
    hope seems to be telling the site operators that they have a problem,
    and that you (as a valuable pair of ad-reading eyeballs) don't like it.

    On the whole though (having worked on magazine sites), you'll get
    almost no recognition of the issue from the publishers, let alone an
    intention to spend money on fixing it.

    Andy Dingley, Oct 10, 2006

  3. Andrew

    rich Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > Andrew wrote:

    > On the whole though (having worked on magazine sites), you'll get
    > almost no recognition of the issue from the publishers, let alone an
    > intention to spend money on fixing it.

    Maybe, just maybe, if we all work together here... maybe they might
    change. And its not only with newspapers and magazines, is it? it goes
    onto TV stations sites too (maybe with the exception of the well
    thaught out BBC site), but by and large you are correct.

    rich, Oct 10, 2006
  4. rich wrote:
    > > On the whole though (having worked on magazine sites), you'll get
    > > almost no recognition of the issue from the publishers, let alone an
    > > intention to spend money on fixing it.

    > Maybe, just maybe, if we all work together here... maybe they might
    > change.

    Do I see a pig flying out of your ass?

    Travis Newbury, Oct 10, 2006
  5. Andrew

    rich Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Do I see a pig flying out of your ass?

    What has that pig got anything to do with this topic, eh?

    rich, Oct 10, 2006
  6. Andrew

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Andrew <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have recently cancelled my newspaper delivery and switched to
    > reading newspapers online. I have been pleased to see so many
    > newspapers around the world putting their current issues online but
    > more than a little horrified that the html / css used makes the pages
    > so difficult to read:

    What would you expect? First, they are websites and websites
    generally are like movies, books, why, anything, mostly crap with
    islands of excellence...

    Second, they are print media and highly unlikely to be rid of the
    mindset, a mindset not altogether conducive to website content
    delivery.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 10, 2006