Poor NG Support....

JeffP@Work

Is this a holiday week?

There are way too many unanswered posts!

I dont' care if the person asked a dumb or un-comprehensible question, they
deserve a response even if it is to clarify or re-state their question and
offer a suggestion.

Hang in there posters, hopefully our questions will be asnwered.

JeffP....

Marina Levit [MVP]

I don't think MS is required to answer the posts, unless the email comes
from an MSDN subscriber (at least this is my recollection).
In general, this is a peer to peer newsgroup, with people just using their
own time to help out. A lot of times posts do not get answered for reasons
having to do with the post (too long, not enough information, doesn't make
sense, question isn't clear).

JeffP@Work

Dear Marina,

I too don't think that Microsoft (MS) is required to answer posts.

I do think that ALL posts deserve an answer, EVEN IF IT IS A CONFUSING
QUESTION, TOO MUCH OR NOT ENOUGH INFO, WHATEVER.

If a question isn't clear or there are many solutions to a common problem
and it's apparent that the person didn't Ask.com or Google or search the NG
for their answer, they deserve at least that much of a response, it only
takes a moment.

Even when people post to the wrong NG, it only takes a moment to post that
you think their question is not appropriate for a particular NG and maybe
include a suggestion as to a better NG.

The only posts that don't require a response are spam or adverts.

JeffP...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
There are way too many unanswered posts!
Hang in there posters, hopefully our questions will be answered.

Maybe you forget that this is basically a peer-to-peer assistance newsgroup,
although MSDN subscribers who have registered an alias with MSDN
are assured of an answer within 48 hours. There's not that many of them.

The rest of us dedicate time to answering questions on a
purely voluntary -unpaid- basis, as we have free time available.

It's likely that many of the regulars who spend their precious free time here,
answering questions asked by people like you, have an unusually busy week.

JeffP@Work said:
Is this a holiday week?
There are way too many unanswered posts!
I dont' care if the person asked a dumb or un-comprehensible question, they deserve a response
even if it is to clarify or re-state their question and offer a suggestion.

Marina Levit [MVP]

Again, my point is, that no one is *required* to answer any posts at all.
It's all voluntary. So no one can complain that their post didn't get
answered - because there is no one out there whose job it is to answer them.

Trapulo

Marina Levit said:
I don't think MS is required to answer the posts, unless the email comes
from an MSDN subscriber (at least this is my recollection).
In general, this is a peer to peer newsgroup, with people just using their
own time to help out.

Yes, this is a P2P NG with MS response to MSDN subscribers.

JeffP@Work

I don't get it, almost all NG's are peer-to-peer, I've been NG'ing since
before the www, I don't care about MS or MSDN, it's not them I'm directing
my comments to. Those that I am, know who they are.

I usually work from 5:30am till about 2am, stopping to have a meal or pick
up the kids from school or take them to dance class, soccer, art class or
kungfu, so I too understand busy.

JeffP....

Guest

I'm a MSDN subscriber and my question hasn't been answered yet. There have
been times my post has never been answered and I've been an MSDN subscrriber
for 7 months now and in that time I say less then a 1/3 of my posting have
been responded to.

Do I care? Not really, BUT if MS responds to MSDN subscribers posting, then
in that case yeah I do.

if you can't find something here GOOGLE it, your bound to find something
there.
thats what i do , google first then post if i can't find a answer to my
question or issue I'm running into

BillE

I have found that some well-intentioned responses to my posts are not
entirely helpful.

However, other potential responders then seem to pass over my post, assuming
the question has been addressed because there is a response.

Therefore I prefer not to receive responses unless they are meaningful.

I read many posts when I can, but I rarely respond because I don't feel
confident that my answer is correct, and my response might prevent other,
more useful responses.

Even though I might not understand the question, if I ask for a
clarification or make a casual suggestion, the question will more likely
then be overlooked by someone who would understand it better than I.

I am hopeful that I can be a more useful contributor eventually, because I
receive a lot of assistance from the experts on the newsgroups who
voluntarily share their time.

-Bill

Juan T. Llibre

Have you associated a no-spam alias with your MSDN Subscription ?
If you haven't, MSDN support will never know you exist.

and follow the link to Managed Newsgroups in the benefit list.

Although anyone can view or post to these groups, in order to ensure you
a response within two business days, you must post using a registered no-spam alias.

Guest

what do you mean by Have you associated a no-spam alias with your MSDN
Subscription ? my ID is linked to my email that I registered my MSDN
subscription to.

Mark Rae

I don't get it, almost all NG's are peer-to-peer, I've been NG'ing since
before the www, I don't care about MS or MSDN, it's not them I'm directing
my comments to. Those that I am, know who they are.

Such as who? Just precisely whose job do you think it is to respond to the
posts in here...?
I usually work from 5:30am till about 2am,

Wow - that's a pretty long day. You'd have thought you could have found a
quiet minute or two to respond to some posts yourself...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
what do you mean by Have you associated a no-spam alias with your MSDN
Subscription ? my ID is linked to my email that I registered my MSDN
subscription to.

That is not enough.

To repeat :
and follow the link to Managed Newsgroups in the benefit list.

You need to associate a no-spam posting alias with your MSDN Subscription at that page.

Step 1: Create Your Posting Alias

Microsoft registers your posting alias with your Passport account.
This ensures that your questions are answered promptly.
To protect you from unsolicited email, the posting alias is not an actual e-mail address.

To create a posting alias:

1. Choose a nickname and type it in the text box below.
This will be the first part of your posting alias.
This nickname should be unique and easy to remember,
yet should not closely resemble your real e-mail addresses.
2. Select a domain from the drop-down list below.
3. Click the Submit button below to register your alias.

Jon Paal

IMHO, the nature of ASP.net has become too complex. Folks are using multiple languages , development tools, databases, add-ins, etc,
that it is very difficult to find someone that is capable of responding to the posting.

Only very basic fundamental questions typically get answered.

My suggestion would be to define more specific newsgroups. For example:
--separate vb and c# users

Juan T. Llibre

re:
My suggestion would be to define more specific newsgroups. For example: --separate vb and c# users

That would result in a more chaotic organization of knowledge.

My suggestion is for ASP.NET programmers to be proficient in both languages.
That would work out to everybody's benefit.

Jon Paal

It's not knowledge if you don't use it ...

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:

That would result in a more chaotic organization of knowledge.

My suggestion is for ASP.NET programmers to be proficient in both languages.
That would work out to everybody's benefit.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
learning things that I have no intention of using is a waste of time.

And, of course, what you think is good for you must be good for everybody.
It looks like you have a lot to learn...and don't even know it.

Good bye, Jon. I won't waste any more of everybody's time replying to you.
If you don't want to learn, there isn't much we can do for you.