poor performance with treeview control

Anton Stadler

hello folks,

I impemented the treeview controll and it works correctly but it requires a
lot of CPU time at the server. With aprox 50 nodes in the tree it takes
about 2.5 seconds ( on a 2500MHz/512MByte machine ) to be built at the
server. I tryed to databind an xml file as well as building up the hole tree
by adding each node programmatically (this is surprisingly even a little bit
faster) but it always requires aprox 2.5 seconds.

Has anybody out there suffered the same problem or are there different
versions of webcontrols?
Does it make a difference which framework is running on the machine? (I use
1.1 at winXP)

Thank you

Anton

Alvin Bruney

basically, no. the tree control is not yet a perfect science. it has issues.
still what you are seeing falls withing the bounds of acceptable performance

Hussein Ismail

Hi Anton,

You say you only have 50 nodes.
Did use the a trace to check what is taking long to
render.
It could be the viewstate information.
Check that first.

Another thinkg you might want to conside is caching that
tree control. That will speed it up alot.

Alvin Bruney

Another thinkg you might want to conside is caching that
tree control. That will speed it up alot.

be weary of caching the tree control. it wasn't made to be put in cache.