pop langs website ranking

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by xahlee@gmail.com, Feb 11, 2008.

  1. Guest

    while doing my website's traffic report, i did some research on major
    computer lang or tech website ranking. Here's the result ranked by
    alexa.com (some non-lang tech sites are given just for comparison):

    Php.net 550 (largely due to online doc and forum)
    sun.com 900 (java doc and forum)
    java.com 1122
    slashdot.com 1223 (forum)
    Mysql.com 1296 (online doc, forum)
    gnu.org 7328 (massive docs, mailing list archives)
    wolfram.com 9065 (online doc, mathworld etc)
    Python.org 9410 (python doc and prob forums)
    Perl.org 26067 (perl doc, forum)
    paulgraham.com 48153 (lisp bigwig, but huh?)
    Perl.com 49104
    xahlee.org 80060 ↠Me!
    haskell.org 118703
    novig.com 130568 (lisp bigwig)
    franz.com 292598
    lispworks.com 377906 (common lisp doc)
    Gigamonkeys.com 529551 (pop common lisp book)
    schemers.org 880284

    The list is not that surprising.

    Many top ones are due to the popularity of the lang, but also because
    their site hosts the lang's documentation and discussion forum (or
    wiki,blogs). Hosting a web forum are likely to increase traffic some
    10 or 100 fold.

    Questions:

    • paulgraham.com is unusually high. What's up with that?

    • python.org at 9k seems also unusally high, compare that perl.org
    with online doc and forum is only 26k. Python.org has mailing list
    archives... maybe blogs too but am not sure it has forums... still the
    gab seems surprising. Even perl is not much talked about these days,
    but i'm guessing its market share is at least still 10 or 100 times of
    python...

    If any one so wishes, add entries to the above list.

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄
    , Feb 11, 2008

  2. "" <> writes:

    > Questions:
    >
    > • paulgraham.com is unusually high. What's up with that?

    He writes well. Also, if you look at the ranking, end of januari (Arc's
    first release) was the highest ranking in 4 months. I'm surprised it
    didn't score higher, actually.

    > • python.org at 9k seems also unusally high, compare that perl.org
    > with online doc and forum is only 26k. Python.org has mailing list
    > archives... maybe blogs too but am not sure it has forums... still the
    > gab seems surprising. Even perl is not much talked about these days,
    > but i'm guessing its market share is at least still 10 or 100 times of
    > python...

    Perl has a remarkably fractured web-presence. Have you looked at
    perl.org? The *only* thing that's really useful on that domain is
    docs.perl.org.

    Since python.org apparenly also contains an index to 3rd party
    libraries, you may want to compare it to cpan.org (currently at 9,199)
    for instance.

    Joost Diepenmaat, Feb 11, 2008