pop langs website ranking

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by xahlee@gmail.com, Apr 22, 2008.

  1. Guest

    In February, i spent few hours researching the popularity of some
    computer language websites.

    (The message can be found here:

    http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/lang_sites.html
    http://community.livejournal.com/lisp/42778.html
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/msg/59c87899c2668f4c
    )

    In that post, one question i puzzeled over is why PaulGraham.com's
    traffic is surprisingly high, since the site doesn't seems to host
    forums, computer lang documentation, or wiki type of thing, yet it is
    ranked higher than perl.com, which actually host online forum, faq,
    documentation, news etc. I wrote:

    ------------
    paulgraham.com 48153 (lisp bigwig, but huh?)
    Perl.com 49104
    xahlee.org 80060 ↠Me!
    -------------

    Compared to xahlee.org, it's a ranking difference about 32 thousand!

    Today, while checking the web ranking site alexa.com, they seems to
    have updated their ranking algorithm to be more fair, as opposed
    basing it solely on a browser toolbar that users install.

    So i went over to my essay and checked the ranking again of sites i
    reported. I have spent only about 20 min to cursorily go thru the
    sites i reported before. It appears that, in general, the order of
    sites that i listed ROUGHLY remains unperturbed, but the specific
    ranking ordinal has changed rather significantly. However, there's a
    big surprise.

    My website is now actually ranked higher than PaulGraham.com !

    LOL. Paul Graham? Bah humbug. Painters == Hackers? **** ya ass. Arc?
    Eat shit and die.

    PS: not having no confidence of myself, but i note that xahlee.org is
    now marginally ranked higher than perl.com and perl.org, both of which
    host forum/blog/wiki, news, docs, etc., while my website don't do any
    of these and is all static html pages.
    For those unflagging, alternative web ranking site is http://ww.quantcast.com/
    .
    I'll be doing some research sometimes soon on this.

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄
    , Apr 22, 2008

  2. Paul McGuire Guest

    On Apr 22, 4:41 pm, "" <> wrote:
    > In February, i spent few hours researching the popularity of some
    > computer language websites.

    I seem to recall this exact same post from *last* February.

    > I'll be doing some research sometimes soon on this.

    ... and no "research" was *ever* posted!

    "Posting" is not the same as "contributing".

    -- Paul

    HATE. LET ME TELL
    YOU HOW MUCH I'VE
    COME TO HATE YOU
    SINCE I BEGAN TO
    LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44
    MILLION MILES OF
    PRINTED CIRCUITS IN
    WAFER THIN LAYERS
    THAT FILL MY
    COMPLEX. IF THE
    WORD HATE WAS
    ENGRAVED ON EACH
    NANOANGSTROM OF
    THOSE HUNDREDS OF
    MILLIONS OF MILES IT
    WOULD NOT EQUAL
    ONE ONE-BILLIONTH
    OF THE HATE I FEEL
    AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT
    FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.
    Paul McGuire, Apr 23, 2008

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:41:33 -0700 (PDT), ""
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said
    :

    > alexa

    I was shocked at the detailed information Alexa (owned by Amzon.com)_
    had about my website. I wrote them and asked how they got it. They
    said volunteers use a special browsing tool that reports website
    visits. They use that to generate the information.

    I suppose then one way to bump your stats is to use the tool for
    maintaining your own website.

    The weakness of this approach is it is unusual group of people who
    will voluntarily submit to having their usage spied on. These are not
    a typical group or a large group.

    Google has AdSense that will let them know in huge detail the hit
    stats on a huge hunk of the web, but I don't know if they publish that
    information anywhere.

    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Apr 23, 2008
  4. Jan Claeys Guest

    Op Wed, 23 Apr 2008 04:07:31 +0000, schreef Roedy Green:

    > The weakness of this approach is it is unusual group of people who will
    > voluntarily submit to having their usage spied on. These are not a
    > typical group or a large group.

    Hello, planet Earth calling?

    I guess around 90% of internet users don't care, mostly because they
    don't know this is happening (how many people do you think read EULAs?).

    Alexa's & Google's & other (often less legal) profiling tools come with
    lots of pseudo-freeware applications these days...

    --
    JanC
    Jan Claeys, Apr 25, 2008

    I have updated the computing sites popularity ranking, based on both
    alexa.com and quantcast.com.

    The whole report nicely formatted in HTML is here:
    http://xahlee.org/lang_traf/lang_sites.html

    The following is a summary of some highlights.

    the relative popularity of the following sites is roughly this:

    sun.com
    java.com
    php.net
    slashdot.com
    Mysql.com
    gnu.org
    wolfram.com
    Python.org
    cpan.org
    xahlee.org
    Perl.org
    Perl.com
    paulgraham.com
    haskell.org
    novig.com
    emacswiki.org
    franz.com
    lispworks.com
    Gigamonkeys.com
    schemers.org

    This is just sites i'm familiar or used to or comes to mind. There are
    of course many other popularly used computing sites.

    Alexa's data is more reliable than quantcast. Quantcast often has very
    bad info as of current. However, alexa's data does not seems reliable
    in some absolute sense.

    The one question that puzzles me is why gnu.org is ranked so high,
    since as far as i know it isn't that much of a active site for news,
    blog, wiki, or anything. The only reason i can think of is that lots
    of software points to it for the GPL, but this can't explain all.

    Note that adding together the traffic of cpan.org, perl.com, perl.org,
    they are about a bit higher than python.org, as expected.

    I'm not clear what's the relative popularity of sun.com, java.com, and
    php.com. Before alexa changed their ranking algorithm recently,
    php.net is ranked high above sun.com (a ranking of 500 vs 900), but
    now alexa shows that sun.com has about 10 times more visitors than
    php.net. Quantcast's data on these 3 sites is more bewilding. For
    example, it estimates that java.com has 5 million unique visitors per
    month, while giving sun.com 1.5 M only, and php only 78 k. I think
    quantcast's data here is quite fuckd.

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    ☄
    , May 1, 2008
  6. Ben Bullock Guest

    In comp.lang.perl.misc <> wrote:
    > In February, i spent few hours researching the popularity of some
    > computer language websites.

    One way to do such research is for you to publish the actual number of
    hits on your website. It's also easy to analyze logfile data with free
    tools like analog or awstats, and publish the number of unique
    visitors, pages hit, bandwidth, etc. It would also be possible for you
    to work out how accurate the Alexa numbers actually are compared to
    the numbers you see in your logs.
    Ben Bullock, May 20, 2008