pop ups

Guest

Is there any way to programmatically open pop ups with SP2? My ASP.NET site
uses JavaScript to open new browser windows and they are being shut down
automatically...

Scott M.

Pop up blockers don't block windows that are opened by the same domain as
the page that is loaded.

Guest

Thank you Scott. I am not sure I am following. My browser even blocks
Microsoft pop ups from this forum unless I allow them.

I was hoping to find some kind of command to allow my site to open new
browser windows (overwriting pop ups directives)

Scott M.

The pop ups you get from various web sites (including MS) don't actually
have content that comes from the domain you are visiting. Most companies
have special servers dedicated to just serving up the advertising content
(ad servers). For example, the content of a popup ad that you got while
visiting cnn.com might actually be coming from http://ads.cnn.com and the
content of the popup windows you get while visiting Microsoft's web site
might actually be coming from http://ads.microsoft.com.

When you build a web page that includes the window.open() client-side
scripting command that doesn't mean that a popup blocker will prevent that
window from opening. Most popup blockers look to see where the content of
that new window is coming from. If it is from the same domain as the page
that launched it, the popup will be allowed, if not it won't.

For example, visit this page that I built and run for my son's cub scout
pack (http://pack96.org/Calendar/PackCalendar.aspx) and click on one of the
links. You will see that the popup windows do not get blocked even though
your popup blocker is on.

-Scott