Populate a combo with an array

Lukelrc

Hi,

I have an array - ListOfFiles - that i want use to populate an combo.

I've attempted to do it like this

<select name="txtAvailable" rows="4" id="txtAvailable">
<Script Language = "vbscript" Runat = "Server">
For i = 0 to Count -1
Response.Write"<OPTION>" & ListOfFiles(i) & "</OPTION>"
next
</script></select>

I placed the vbscript in the approprate place in the body. But when i
open the page instead of writing the HTML where i placed the code, it
has appended it right at the bottom of the page. Does anyone know
where i'm going wrong or if there's a better way of doing this?

Thanks

Luke

Ray at

When things appear on the page where you don't expect them to, this is often
because of some poorly written HTML, not code. Example:

YYY

The YYY will appear at the top of the page (in IE, anyway), although one may
expect it to appear in the table.

Basically, if you're seeing your select with the options in your array, your
ASP code isn't the problem.

Ray at work

Dave Anderson

Lukelrc said:
<select name="txtAvailable" rows="4" id="txtAvailable">
<Script Language = "vbscript" Runat = "Server">
For i = 0 to Count -1
Response.Write"<OPTION>" & ListOfFiles(i) & "</OPTION>"
next
</script></select>

I placed the vbscript in the approprate place in the body. But when i
open the page instead of writing the HTML where i placed the code, it
has appended it right at the bottom of the page. Does anyone know
where i'm going wrong or if there's a better way of doing this?

This is an order-of-execution issue (http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2045). If
you want to interlace server-side scripting with HTML, you will need <% %>
blocks.

I usually abstract as much processing as possible before writing any HTML.
In your case, I would build a single string to represent the entire array...

FilenameOptionList = CreateOptions(ListOfFiles,"")

....then insert it inline:

<SELECT><%=FilenameOptionList%></SELECT>

You can define the function anywhere in the script, either in <% %> blocks
or in <SCRIPT RUNAT="Server"> blocks. Here is a sample function:

Function CreateOptions(byVal A(), byVal DefaultValue)
Dim i, val
For i = 0 To UBound(A)
val = Server.HTMLEncode(A(i))
If A(i) = DefaultValue Then
A(i) = "<OPTION VALUE=""" & val & """ SELECTED>" & _
val & "</OPTION>"
Else
A(i) = "<OPTION VALUE=""" & val & """>" & _
val & "</OPTION>"
End If
Next
CreateOptions = Join(A,vbCrLf)
End Function

Note that this example is capable of preselecting the control:

... = CreateOptions(ListOfFiles,Request.Form("txtAvailable").Item)

Lastly, it bears mentioning that in many cases, this abstraction allows you
to simply use <SELECT><%=CreateOptions(...)%></SELECT>

More complicated functions can be written to create OPTION lists from 2D
arrays, wherein the .value and .text properties differ (<OPTION
VALUE="TN">Tennessee</OPTION>). Either way, this type of function is
entirely self-contained, so it can be placed into a common include for reuse
wherever needed.

If you use JScript on the server side, you can even do something like
this...

Array.prototype.toOptions = function(val) {
for (var i=0,a=[]; i<this.length; i++)
a = "\r\n<OPTION VALUE=\"" + this +
(this==val ? "\" SELECTED>" : "\">") +
this + "</OPTION>"
return a.join("")
}

....in which case:

<%=ListOfFiles.toOptions()%>

would suffice, but:

<%=ListOfFiles.toOptions(Request.Form("txtAvailable").Item)%>

works even better, and doesn't require a different method signature.

--
Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson

Ray at said:
When things appear on the page where you don't expect them to, this
is often because of some poorly written HTML, not code. Example:

YYY

The YYY will appear at the top of the page (in IE, anyway), although
one may expect it to appear in the table.

Basically, if you're seeing your select with the options in your
array, your ASP code isn't the problem.

That's not correct, Ray. This is clearly an execution order problem. Note
the RUNAT="server" bit. If the default language is VBScript, that block
executes last, no matter where it sits in your code.

The fix is either abstraction or <%%> blocks.

--
Dave Anderson

Ray at

Dave Anderson said:
That's not correct, Ray. This is clearly an execution order problem. Note
the RUNAT="server" bit.

Oh yeah. Thanks Dave. Studying FAQ 2045 again now. :]

Ray at work

Luke Curtis

Thanks for all your help.

I have created a string as suggested FileNameoptionlist, which is fine.

Ive checked out about the execution order, but i cant see what exactly
the problem is. What is strange is that if i script:

<script language="vbscript"
Runat="server">Response.write(filenameOptionList)</script>

in either the head or the body, it produces the correct HTML but still
apended at the end - which does suggest an execution order problem, but
if i simply write:

<% response.write(Filenameoptionlist)%>

or

<% =filenameoptionlist%>

I get nothing at all!

Does anyone know why this might be?
Thanks in advance.

Luke

Lukelrc

Thanks for all your help.

I have created a string as suggested FileNameoptionlist, which is fine.

Ive checked out about the execution order, but i cant see what exactly
the problem is. What is strange is that if i script:

<script language="vbscript"
Runat="server">Response.write(filenameOptionList)</script>

in either the head or the body, it produces the correct HTML but still
apended at the end - which does suggest an execution order problem, but
if i simply write:

<% response.write(Filenameoptionlist)%>

or

<% =filenameoptionlist%>

I get nothing at all!

Does anyone know why this might be?
Thanks in advance.

Luke

Ray at

What about:

<% Response.WRite "Here is the filenameoptionslist: " & Filenameoptionlist
%>

Ray at work

Roland Hall

in message
:
: <select name="txtAvailable" rows="4" id="txtAvailable">
: <Script Language = "vbscript" Runat = "Server">
: For i = 0 to Count -1
: Response.Write"<OPTION>" & ListOfFiles(i) & "</OPTION>"
: next
: </script></select>
:

Untested, just written here...

<%
Dim Count
Count = ubound(ListOfFiles())

sub prt(str)
Response.Write(str & vbCrLf)
end sub

sub lprt(str)
Response.Write(str & "<br />" & vbCrLf)
end sub

sub popList()
prt("<select name=""txtAvailable"" rows=""4"" id=""txtAvailable"">")
for i = 0 to Count - 1
prt("<option value=""" & ListOfFiles(i) & """>" & ListOfFiles(i) &
"</option>")
next
prt("</script>")
end sub

lprt("Check out my list of files...")
popList
%>

HTH...

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */

Lukelrc

I've sorted it. When i had written the script that populated the
string i had open and closed script tags several times. Putting all of
the code into one set of tags sorted it. Thanks for your help.

Luke

Roland Hall

in message
: I've sorted it. When i had written the script that populated the
: string i had open and closed script tags several times. Putting all of
: the code into one set of tags sorted it. Thanks for your help.

Glad to hear it's working for you Luke. (O:=