populating a datagrid

viktor9990

I have a datagrid with 2 item templates inside a hyperlink and a label (which
will show the file name and creation date of files which resides on a folder
on the server. I'm using a procedure (GetScannedFiles()) to loop and get the
required information from the folder but don't know how to show this info
inside my datagrid ( dynamically or from my aspx page). I appreciate any
help.
Look my code below.

Here is the code for( MyDatagrid.aspx):

<asp:datagrid id="DGFileScanned" runat="server" Autogeneratecolumns="false" >
<Columns>

<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="File Name">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:hyperlink ForeColor="blue" Font-Size="10" id="FileName" runat="server" >
</asp:hyperlink></div>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
<asp:TemplateColumn>
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label ID="FileDate" Visible="true" Text="...." Runat="server" />
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>
</Columns>
</asp:datagrid>

Here is the code behind for (Mydatagrid.aspx.vb)

Private Sub GetScannedFiles()
'Name of the folder which holds the scanned TIFF files (agreements
images)
Dim FolderPath As String =
Server.MapPath("/TrackerAggreement/admin/FilesTIFF/")
Dim source As DirectoryInfo = New DirectoryInfo(FolderPath)

'Get an array of all scanned TIFF files in the source direcotry
Dim sourceFiles As FileInfo() = source.GetFiles("*.tiff")
'Loop to get File Names and Creation Time of the TIFF files in the
source direcotry
Dim i As Integer
For i = 0 To i < (sourceFiles.Length)
'Get the File Name of every scanned TIFF file
Dim FileName As String = Path.GetFileName(sourceFiles(i).FullName)
'Get the Creation Time of every scanned TIFF file
Dim FileDate As String =
Path.GetFileName(sourceFiles(i).CreationTime)
i = i + 1
Next
End Sub

Elton Wang

You can use a datatable to save FileName and FileDate in
it, and then bind the datagrid's data source with the
datatable. In the datagrid you can use a HyperLinkColumn
and a BoundColumn to show file name and file date.

HTH

Elton Wang
(e-mail address removed)

viktor9990

In my solution I need to populate the datagrid without using the database. Is
there any solution?Thanks

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Here's some code that populates a datagrid from file list. Perhaps it will
give you the idea?

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
Toronto

Private Sub Page_Load _
(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
'create file list
Dim imagepath As String
imagepath = Server.MapPath("")
dgfiles.DataSource = _
System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(imagepath)
dgfiles.DataBind()

End Sub

Private Sub dgfiles_ItemDataBound _
(ByVal sender As Object, _
ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs) _
Handles dgfiles.ItemDataBound
If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Header Then
e.Item.Cells(0).Text = "File Name"
Exit Sub
End If
If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.AlternatingItem Or _
e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Item Then
Dim strFilename As String
strFilename = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(e.Item.Cells(0).Text)
e.Item.Cells(0).Text = strFilename
End If
End Sub

<asp:datagrid id="dgfiles" runat="server"></asp:datagrid>

Elton Wang

In addition from database, the DataTable can also be
populated from other data source. Following code snippet
shows how to fill datatable from a loop:

DataTable myTable = new DataTable();
Dim myColumn As DataColumn = New DataColumn
myColumn.DataType = System.Type.GetType("System.String")
myColumn.ColumnName = "FileName"
myTable.Columns.Add(myColumn)
myColumn New DataColumn
myColumn.DataType = System.Type.GetType("System.String")
myColumn.ColumnName = "FileDate"
myTable.Columns.Add(myColumn)
Dim row As DataRow
For i As Integer = 0 To sourceFiles.Length - 1
'Get the File Name of every scanned TIFF file
Dim FileName As String = Path.GetFileName(sourceFiles
(i).FullName)
'Get the Creation Time of every scanned TIFF file
Dim FileDate As String = Path.GetFileName(sourceFiles
(i).CreationTime)
' filling data to datatable
row = myTable.NewRow()
row("FileName") = FileName
row("FileDate") = FileDate
myTable.Rows.Add(row)
Next

HTH

Elton Wang

viktor9990

This has helped a lot but I still have difficulties in showing the embedded
radio buttons and linking the filename(which is embedded too) which must be a
link too in this datagrid. Thanks for further help.