Popup Ads

AF

My web hosting company has offered me some free hosting if I allow
them to put popup ads on my site.

What are your thoughts?

I dislike popups, but I have about 10 small websites I would like to
develop.

Besides don't most people have popup blockers by now?

His ads, by the way, are small and professional. So if seen they will
not detract from my sites.

Still I am uncomfortable using them, thinking which browsers or which
visitors might not be able to block them.

Thanks for any thoughts.

best regards,

Al

http://www.discountdrivingschool.com
http://autowarranty.compserver.com

Karl Groves

PeterMcC

AF wrote in
My web hosting company has offered me some free hosting if I allow
them to put popup ads on my site.

What are your thoughts?

I dislike popups, but I have about 10 small websites I would like to
develop.

Besides don't most people have popup blockers by now?

His ads, by the way, are small and professional. So if seen they will
not detract from my sites.

Still I am uncomfortable using them, thinking which browsers or which
visitors might not be able to block them.

Thanks for any thoughts.

See my reply in a.i.s-e and you might want to look at:

Arondelle

Karl said:
Forrester Research found that 64% of US internet users found pop-up ads
irritating and 28% avoided sites that allowed advertisers to use them.

You decide. Wanna piss of 64% of your visitors? Go for it.

Personally, I can *almost* tolerate pop-ups: pop-up blockers are a
goddess-send.

So, Angelfire, knowing this, inserts sidebars on every page in their
"free" websites. This is, by far, the worst and most intrusive form of
advertising ever invented, bar none. Pop-ups are pussies in comparison.

Arondelle

Neal

My web hosting company has offered me some free hosting if I allow
them to put popup ads on my site.

What are your thoughts?

I dislike popups, but I have about 10 small websites I would like to
develop.

Besides don't most people have popup blockers by now?

His ads, by the way, are small and professional. So if seen they will
not detract from my sites.

Still I am uncomfortable using them, thinking which browsers or which
visitors might not be able to block them.

Weigh the cost of that webspace against the lost revenue from visitors who
don't want popups. There's your answer.

Anders Thorsen Holm

AF said:
My web hosting company has offered me some free hosting if I allow
them to put popup ads on my site.

Given the fact that web hosting comes incredibly cheap these days, I
see no reason whatsoever to start littering your sites with popup ads.

And it makes even less sense (not that popup/-under ads do make any
sense in general anyway) when you're only dealing with "10 small
websites" - which are still in development!

Others in the thread have pointed out other very relevant issues.

Jeff Thies

Anders said:
Given the fact that web hosting comes incredibly cheap these days, I
see no reason whatsoever to start littering your sites with popup ads.

I don't understand that either. Web hosting is incredibly cheap with
plans at under $10/year.

I'll bet the same people asking for free web hosting are the same ones
paying extra for high speed internet and all the other things they can't
live without.

Jeff

Webcastmaker

bscinc3000 said:
My web hosting company has offered me some free hosting if I allow
them to put popup ads on my site.
What are your thoughts?

You have to pay one way or another, nothing in life is free.

Webcastmaker

I'll bet the same people asking for free web hosting are the same ones
paying extra for high speed internet and all the other things they can't
live without.

Like porn!

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, AF ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
My web hosting company has offered me some free hosting if I allow
them to put popup ads on my site.

What are your thoughts?

I dislike popups, but I have about 10 small websites I would like to
develop.
[...]

What are these "10 small websites" you want to develop? Are people paying
for you to develop them? Have you offered to arrange hosting for the sites?
If so, are you going to charge them?

As others have mentioned, hosting doesn't need to be expensive. Bizarrely,
free hosting such as you describe can be the most expensive - in
professional appearance terms. Personally, I have a reseller account with
Affordable Host. It doesn't cost me much, which means I can do sites for
people and arrange the hosting, and not have to charge them much either! :)

Just a couple of thoughts...

Cheers,
Nige

The Doormouse

AF said:
My web hosting company has offered me some free hosting if I allow
them to put popup ads on my site.

What are your thoughts?

Worthless. It's like being offered free use of a car, but the windshield
will have a huge opaque sign on the front. So long as the "car" is just
used to store things, it might be okay. Try and drive, however ...

The Doormouse

Joined
Nov 27, 2023
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
You appear to have mentioned "popup ad." If you have a special query or would want to learn more about a certain feature of popup ads, please provide more information. I'm here to help if you have questions regarding the effectiveness of popup advertisements, how to utilise them properly, or issues about user experience.