popup blocker code

Bill M.

How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http transactions and
strip-out window.open() commands? Is there a single methodology?

Thanks

Hywel Jenkins

How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http transactions and
strip-out window.open() commands?
Possibly.

Is there a single methodology?

No. Mine (PopUp Killer) scans for browser windows and reads the titles
- no proxy involved. You won't be able to beat them.

Jerry Park

Bill said:
How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http transactions and
strip-out window.open() commands? Is there a single methodology?

Thanks
They use various methods. For example, my browser blocks pop ups
automatically (can be turned off, of course). If I click on a link which
causes a pop up window, that is OK. But if the site initiates a pop up,
it is killed.

Randell D.

Bill M. said:
How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http transactions and
strip-out window.open() commands? Is there a single methodology?

Thanks

I have Internet Security 2003... It has a feature to block popups and
adverts... It is very successful, but not 100% successful.

I did some checks... note, I am a javascript newbie but I am a techie (with
several years of linux/unix and some windoze support behind me) so I think I
got a good distance...

First... part of the Firewall that comes with Internet Security 2003 and its
efforts to prevent popups is it scans all html as you surf and if it finds
reference to "banner" or "popup" it can end up either removing the
code/reference to the function or createing a similar named function after
the original named function so as the author's original one is not
used/called.

Thus, a javascript with /banner/ in the path will not be displayed - the
same with /banner.js or /banner.jpg It has other terms also written in, and
it has various website names too (like doubleclick.net) that are
automatically ignored.

Secondly, I found that when I do a View Source of some web pages, I get code
similar to the following sprinkled in there (normally immediately after
<head>)

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--

function SymError()
{
return true;
}

window.onerror = SymError;

var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;

function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
{
return (new Object());
}

window.open = SymWinOpen;

//-->
</script>

This code turns up before </BODY>
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--

window.open = SymRealWinOpen;

//-->
</script>

I have visited http://mail.yahoo.com then did a view source and extracted
the above just as an example - I don't know if difference code is inserted
pending on what website I visit.

Does that help you any?

randelld

Bill M.

Does that help you any?

Well, some good reply's. I would like to either grow my own popup blocker or
use squid to do it. Using squid to do this is kind of an
after-the-post-thought but it occurs to me that since I'm already using
Linux squid for my Windoz clients, that would be the place to do this.

In terms of growing my own (Windoz app), I think I was actually looking for
more technical details/best practice on how to do this. I wasn't very clear
about what I was looking for. My bad.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill M.

Well, some good reply's. I would like to either grow my own popup blocker or
use squid to do it. Using squid to do this is kind of an
after-the-post-thought but it occurs to me that since I'm already using
Linux squid for my Windoz clients, that would be the place to do this.

http://phroggy.com/bannerfilter/

Looks like what I want.

friendship_rays

hi,
I want to write a program which will popup IE instances
programmatically even if there is a POPUP-BLOCKER installed.Does
anybody know how to do it??Please help..

Thanx
Dileep

friendship_rays

hi,
I want to write a program which will popup IE instances
programmatically even if there is a POPUP-BLOCKER installed.Does
anybody know how to do it??Please help..

Thanx
Dileep

friendship_rays

hi,
I want to write a program which will popup IE instances
programmatically even if there is a POPUP-BLOCKER installed.Does
anybody know how to do it??Please help..

Thanx
Dileep

Randy Webb

hi,
I want to write a program which will popup IE instances
programmatically even if there is a POPUP-BLOCKER installed.Does
anybody know how to do it??Please help..

And if IE isn't installed on the machine?

But you and ever other spammer on the web wants to know how to open a
popup window even if a popup blocker is installed.