    How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http transactions and
    strip-out window.open() commands? Is there a single methodology?

    Thanks
    Bill M., Nov 3, 2003

  2. In article <6a85f$3fa69ec1$44a52955$>,
    says...
    > How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http transactions and
    > strip-out window.open() commands?

    Possibly.

    > Is there a single methodology?

    No. Mine (PopUp Killer) scans for browser windows and reads the titles
    - no proxy involved. You won't be able to beat them.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Bill M.

    Jerry Park Guest

    Bill M. wrote:
    > How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http transactions and
    > strip-out window.open() commands? Is there a single methodology?
    >
    > Thanks

    They use various methods. For example, my browser blocks pop ups
    automatically (can be turned off, of course). If I click on a link which
    causes a pop up window, that is OK. But if the site initiates a pop up,
    it is killed.
    Jerry Park, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Bill M.

    Randell D. Guest

    "Bill M." <> wrote in message
    > How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http transactions

    and
    > strip-out window.open() commands? Is there a single methodology?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have Internet Security 2003... It has a feature to block popups and
    adverts... It is very successful, but not 100% successful.

    I did some checks... note, I am a javascript newbie but I am a techie (with
    several years of linux/unix and some windoze support behind me) so I think I
    got a good distance...

    First... part of the Firewall that comes with Internet Security 2003 and its
    efforts to prevent popups is it scans all html as you surf and if it finds
    reference to "banner" or "popup" it can end up either removing the
    code/reference to the function or createing a similar named function after
    the original named function so as the author's original one is not
    used/called.

    Thus, a javascript with /banner/ in the path will not be displayed - the
    same with /banner.js or /banner.jpg It has other terms also written in, and
    it has various website names too (like doubleclick.net) that are
    automatically ignored.

    Secondly, I found that when I do a View Source of some web pages, I get code
    similar to the following sprinkled in there (normally immediately after
    <head>)

    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--

    function SymError()
    {
    return true;
    }

    window.onerror = SymError;

    var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;

    function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
    {
    return (new Object());
    }

    window.open = SymWinOpen;

    //-->
    </script>

    This code turns up before </BODY>
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--

    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;

    //-->
    </script>

    I have visited http://mail.yahoo.com then did a view source and extracted
    the above just as an example - I don't know if difference code is inserted
    pending on what website I visit.

    Does that help you any?

    randelld
    Randell D., Nov 3, 2003
  5. Bill M.

    Bill M. Guest

    > Does that help you any?

    Well, some good reply's. I would like to either grow my own popup blocker or
    use squid to do it. Using squid to do this is kind of an
    after-the-post-thought but it occurs to me that since I'm already using
    Linux squid for my Windoz clients, that would be the place to do this.

    In terms of growing my own (Windoz app), I think I was actually looking for
    more technical details/best practice on how to do this. I wasn't very clear
    about what I was looking for. My bad.

    Thanks,

    Bill
    Bill M., Nov 3, 2003
  6. Bill M.

    Bill M. Guest

    > Well, some good reply's. I would like to either grow my own popup blocker

    or
    > use squid to do it. Using squid to do this is kind of an
    > after-the-post-thought but it occurs to me that since I'm already using
    > Linux squid for my Windoz clients, that would be the place to do this.

    http://phroggy.com/bannerfilter/

    Looks like what I want.
    Bill M., Nov 3, 2003
  7. Bill M.

    Guest

    hi,
    I want to write a program which will popup IE instances
    programmatically even if there is a POPUP-BLOCKER installed.Does
    anybody know how to do it??Please help..

    Thanx
    Dileep

    Randell D. wrote:
    > "Bill M." <> wrote in message
    > > How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http

    transactions
    > and
    > > strip-out window.open() commands? Is there a single methodology?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > I have Internet Security 2003... It has a feature to block popups and
    > adverts... It is very successful, but not 100% successful.
    >
    > I did some checks... note, I am a javascript newbie but I am a techie

    (with
    > several years of linux/unix and some windoze support behind me) so I

    think I
    > got a good distance...
    >
    > First... part of the Firewall that comes with Internet Security 2003

    and its
    > efforts to prevent popups is it scans all html as you surf and if it

    finds
    > reference to "banner" or "popup" it can end up either removing the
    > code/reference to the function or createing a similar named function

    after
    > the original named function so as the author's original one is not
    > used/called.
    >
    > Thus, a javascript with /banner/ in the path will not be displayed -

    the
    > same with /banner.js or /banner.jpg It has other terms also written

    in, and
    > it has various website names too (like doubleclick.net) that are
    > automatically ignored.
    >
    > Secondly, I found that when I do a View Source of some web pages, I

    get code
    > similar to the following sprinkled in there (normally immediately

    after
    > <head>)
    >
    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > <!--
    >
    > function SymError()
    > {
    > return true;
    > }
    >
    > window.onerror = SymError;
    >
    > var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;
    >
    > function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
    > {
    > return (new Object());
    > }
    >
    > window.open = SymWinOpen;
    >
    > //-->
    > </script>
    >

    > This code turns up before </BODY>
    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > <!--
    >
    > window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    >
    > //-->
    > </script>
    >

    > I have visited http://mail.yahoo.com then did a view source and

    extracted
    > the above just as an example - I don't know if difference code is

    inserted
    > pending on what website I visit.
    >
    > Does that help you any?
    >
    > randelld
    , Mar 11, 2005
  8. Bill M.

    Randell D. wrote:
    > "Bill M." <> wrote in message
    > > How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http

    transactions
    > and
    > > strip-out window.open() commands? Is there a single methodology?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > I have Internet Security 2003... It has a feature to block popups and
    > adverts... It is very successful, but not 100% successful.
    >
    > I did some checks... note, I am a javascript newbie but I am a techie

    (with
    > several years of linux/unix and some windoze support behind me) so I

    think I
    > got a good distance...
    >
    > First... part of the Firewall that comes with Internet Security 2003

    and its
    > efforts to prevent popups is it scans all html as you surf and if it

    finds
    > reference to "banner" or "popup" it can end up either removing the
    > code/reference to the function or createing a similar named function

    after
    > the original named function so as the author's original one is not
    > used/called.
    >
    > Thus, a javascript with /banner/ in the path will not be displayed -

    the
    > same with /banner.js or /banner.jpg It has other terms also written

    in, and
    > it has various website names too (like doubleclick.net) that are
    > automatically ignored.
    >
    > Secondly, I found that when I do a View Source of some web pages, I

    get code
    > similar to the following sprinkled in there (normally immediately

    after
    > <head>)
    >
    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > <!--
    >
    > function SymError()
    > {
    > return true;
    > }
    >
    > window.onerror = SymError;
    >
    > var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;
    >
    > function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
    > {
    > return (new Object());
    > }
    >
    > window.open = SymWinOpen;
    >
    > //-->
    > </script>
    >

    > This code turns up before </BODY>
    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > <!--
    >
    > window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    >
    > //-->
    > </script>
    >

    > I have visited http://mail.yahoo.com then did a view source and

    extracted
    > the above just as an example - I don't know if difference code is

    inserted
    > pending on what website I visit.
    >
    > Does that help you any?
    >
    > randelld
    , Mar 11, 2005
  9. Bill M.

    Randell D. wrote:
    > "Bill M." <> wrote in message
    > > How do pop-up blocker programs work? Do they intercept http

    transactions
    > and
    > > strip-out window.open() commands? Is there a single methodology?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > I have Internet Security 2003... It has a feature to block popups and
    > adverts... It is very successful, but not 100% successful.
    >
    > I did some checks... note, I am a javascript newbie but I am a techie

    (with
    > several years of linux/unix and some windoze support behind me) so I

    think I
    > got a good distance...
    >
    > First... part of the Firewall that comes with Internet Security 2003

    and its
    > efforts to prevent popups is it scans all html as you surf and if it

    finds
    > reference to "banner" or "popup" it can end up either removing the
    > code/reference to the function or createing a similar named function

    after
    > the original named function so as the author's original one is not
    > used/called.
    >
    > Thus, a javascript with /banner/ in the path will not be displayed -

    the
    > same with /banner.js or /banner.jpg It has other terms also written

    in, and
    > it has various website names too (like doubleclick.net) that are
    > automatically ignored.
    >
    > Secondly, I found that when I do a View Source of some web pages, I

    get code
    > similar to the following sprinkled in there (normally immediately

    after
    > <head>)
    >
    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > <!--
    >
    > function SymError()
    > {
    > return true;
    > }
    >
    > window.onerror = SymError;
    >
    > var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;
    >
    > function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
    > {
    > return (new Object());
    > }
    >
    > window.open = SymWinOpen;
    >
    > //-->
    > </script>
    >

    > This code turns up before </BODY>
    > <script language="JavaScript">
    > <!--
    >
    > window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    >
    > //-->
    > </script>
    >

    > I have visited http://mail.yahoo.com then did a view source and

    extracted
    > the above just as an example - I don't know if difference code is

    inserted
    > pending on what website I visit.
    >
    > Does that help you any?
    >
    > randelld
    , Mar 11, 2005
  10. Bill M.

    Randy Webb Guest

    wrote:

    > hi,
    > I want to write a program which will popup IE instances
    > programmatically even if there is a POPUP-BLOCKER installed.Does
    > anybody know how to do it??Please help..

    And if IE isn't installed on the machine?

    But you and ever other spammer on the web wants to know how to open a
    popup window even if a popup blocker is installed.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Mar 11, 2005