Popup menu works in IE but not Netscape

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Enrika, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Enrika

    Enrika Guest

    Greetings! I am brand new to Javascript, and I have been given a task:
    On our company's website, the popup menu works in IE but not Netscape.
    (I only care about the latest versions of both.) Apparently, the code
    is old, and there isn't anyone else here familiar with this sort of
    thing, either. I've been digging around a lot on the internet about
    it, and I've found a lot of promising links, but nothing that has been
    able to explain to me what I need to do, at least in a way that I can
    understand. I'm hoping that the solution to this is so easy that even
    a child could do it (well, a child versed in Javascript, anyway), and
    that there might be someone in this group who can say, "Well,
    obviously, you need to do *this* instead of *that*," or something of
    that nature.

    So here's the .js code. I don't know if there's anything else that's
    relevant, but if so, I can post that, too.

    document.write("<DIV ID='divMenuBar'>");
    document.write("<TABLE ID='tblMenuBar' BORDER='0'>");
    document.write("<TR>");
    if(navigator.appName=="Netscape")
    {
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem1'> <A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/about.htm'>Company</A></TD>");
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem2'>| <A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/soft.htm'>Software</A></TD>");
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem3'>| <A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/serv.htm'>Service </A></TD>");
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem4'>| <A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/querynet.htm'>QueryNet
    </A></TD>");
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem5'>| <A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/support.htm'>Support </A></TD>");
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem6'>| <A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/search.htm'>Search </A></TD>");
    }
    else
    {
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem1'>
    Company</TD>");
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem2'>|
    Software</TD>");
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem3'>|
    Service</TD>");
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem4'>|
    QueryNet</TD>");
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem5'>|
    Support</TD>");
    document.write("<TD class='clsMenuBarItem' id='tdMenuBarItem6'>|
    Search</TD>");
    }
    document.write("</TR>");
    document.write("</TABLE>");
    document.write("</DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV CLASS='clsMenu' ID='divMenu1'>");
    document.write("<DIV CLASS='clsMenuSpacer'></DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV><A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/index.htm'>Home</A></DIV>")
    document.write("<DIV><A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/about.htm'>About us</A></DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV><A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/form/feedback/index.html'>Customer
    service</A></DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV><A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/jobop.htm'>Career
    opportunities</A></DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV><A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/dirsdl.htm'>Directions (Scottsdale
    office)</A></DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV><A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/dirchi.htm'>Directions (Chicago
    office)</A></DIV>");
    document.write("</DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV CLASS='clsMenu' ID='divMenu2'>");
    document.write("<DIV CLASS='clsMenuSpacer'></DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV><A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/soft.htm'>Featured
    software</A></DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV><A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/wincross.htm'>WinCross</A></DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV><A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/runtime.htm'>WinCross
    Runtime</A></DIV>");
    document.write("<DIV><A
    HREF='http://www.analyticalgroup.com/winquery.htm'>WinQuery</A></DIV>");

    ....etc.

    Any ideas, anyone?

    Thanks in advance!!

    Best Regards,
    Enrika

    Enrika, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Enrika

    Randy Webb Guest

    Enrika said the following on 3/10/2006 3:29 PM:
    > Greetings! I am brand new to Javascript, and I have been given a task:
    > On our company's website, the popup menu works in IE but not Netscape.
    > (I only care about the latest versions of both.) Apparently, the code
    > is old, and there isn't anyone else here familiar with this sort of
    > thing, either. I've been digging around a lot on the internet about
    > it, and I've found a lot of promising links, but nothing that has been
    > able to explain to me what I need to do, at least in a way that I can
    > understand. I'm hoping that the solution to this is so easy that even
    > a child could do it (well, a child versed in Javascript, anyway), and
    > that there might be someone in this group who can say, "Well,
    > obviously, you need to do *this* instead of *that*," or something of
    > that nature.
    >
    > So here's the .js code. I don't know if there's anything else that's
    > relevant, but if so, I can post that, too.
    >
    > document.write("<DIV ID='divMenuBar'>");
    > document.write("<TABLE ID='tblMenuBar' BORDER='0'>");
    > document.write("<TR>");
    > if(navigator.appName=="Netscape")

    Stop! Ditch that script and find you a new one.
    Any script that relies on navigator.appName is junk and should be avoided.
    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Mar 10, 2006

  3. Enrika

    Enrika Guest

    Ok. :) Any suggestions on where I might find something better?

    Enrika, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Enrika

    Enrika Guest

    In addition, it appears that the language that I am using for search
    purposes may be incorrect. I've been using the term "popup menu," but
    the examples I've found are dropdown menus that allow you to click on a
    down arrow in order to display the choices. What I need is to allow
    the mouse pointer hovering over a top-level menu item to automatically
    cause the sub-menu to display, and then go away if the mouse pointer is
    moved elsewhere. Is there a specific term for that sort of thing, or
    something that I can type into a search engine that will give me links
    to info on that kind of menu?

    You can see what I mean by going here (in IE only, because Netscape
    doesn't work):

    http://www.analyticalgroup.com/soft.htm

    In IE, the menu items in the dark green bar near the top of the page
    will display submenus when the mouse rolls over them. Does anyone know
    what this sort of thing is called?

    Enrika, Mar 10, 2006
  5. Enrika

    Randy Webb Guest

    Enrika said the following on 3/10/2006 5:41 PM:

    Please quote what you are replying to.

    "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at
    the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the
    article headers.

    > In addition, it appears that the language that I am using for search
    > purposes may be incorrect. I've been using the term "popup menu," but
    > the examples I've found are dropdown menus that allow you to click on a
    > down arrow in order to display the choices. What I need is to allow
    > the mouse pointer hovering over a top-level menu item to automatically
    > cause the sub-menu to display, and then go away if the mouse pointer is
    > moved elsewhere. Is there a specific term for that sort of thing, or
    > something that I can type into a search engine that will give me links
    > to info on that kind of menu?

    "fly out menu" seems to be the most popular term for it. Search the
    c.l.j archives. You can even find pure CSS menus.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Enrika

    Enrika Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the
    > "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at
    > the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the
    > article headers.

    Much thanks. I've just been reading the posts on the Google site, and
    it didn't occur to me that it might be a problem elsewhere. I
    apologize for the inconvenience.

    > "fly out menu" seems to be the most popular term for it. Search the
    > c.l.j archives. You can even find pure CSS menus.

    MUCH appreciated, thank you. :)

    Enrika

    Enrika, Mar 11, 2006