popup window close to submit opener window without 'causes validation' happening

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Matt Jensen, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. Matt Jensen

    Matt Jensen Guest

    Howdy

    I've got a ASP.NET webform page that pops up a window for a user to make a
    selection. Once they make a selection in this popup window, the form in the
    popup is submitted an update to the DB is fired, the window closes, and the
    opener window's (server) form is submitted (via JavaScript) (so that any
    form changes that were made are retained) and the newly loaded page shows
    the new selections from the popup window.

    However, the newly loaded page also shows any validation messages, which
    whilst not a huge problem, I'd rather not have for cleanliness' sake. What
    can I do via JavaScript to submit the opener form but not have the .NET
    'causes validation' happen?

    Can I use the JavaScript to call some hidden/dummy/zero width button (either
    HTML or .NET), or is there some better method?

    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Cheers
    Matt

    Matt Jensen, Dec 16, 2005

  2. Matt Jensen

    Matt Jensen Guest

    sorted.

    I used a <a href="" runat="server" id="test"
    onclick="javascript:myjavascript();">test</a> to open the popup window.

    I the popup window I used the javascript:

    window.opener.__doPostBack('test','');
    self.close();

    to call the dotnet postback function, specifying my <a> tag as the 'sender',
    hence no "causesvalidation" firing.

    I originally had a asp.net linkbutton however that submitted my page each
    time it was clicked, and which was an unnecessary and annoying superfluous
    page submit, but now this doesn't happen.

    Matt

    Matt Jensen, Dec 16, 2005