Porblem installing DateTime::Format::Epoch

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Nilendu, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. Nilendu

    Nilendu Guest

    Hello,

    I have run into a very interesting problem.
    I am using activePerl 5.6.1 on windows.I currently need the Module
    DateTime::Format::Epoch to convert any give date to its corresponding
    Epoch value.

    I searched the PPM.active.perl site
    (http://ppm.activestate.com/BuildStatus/5.6-A.html)
    it is listed that this build has failed for windows. This particular
    site was been last updated on 19th Nov 2003. I also check the CPAN
    site for the latest test results on this module:
    http://testers.cpan.org/show/DateTime-Format-Epoch.html#DateTime-Format-Epoch-0.06

    it shows that the build has passed yesterday ie 27.11.2003. Here is a
    portion of the details on the site

    Newsgroups: perl.cpan.testers
    To: cpan-testers[at]perl.org
    Subject: PASS DateTime-Format-Epoch-0.06 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread 4.0
    Date: 27 Nov 2003 07:26:14 +0000
    From: barbie[at]missbarbell.co.uk (Barbie)

    But when i try to install the module from PPM. i get an error message

    missing base.....(could not read the whole message) and the ppm>
    prompt window closes this happens even when i do a search for the
    module on ppm prompt.

    what could be the possible reason for this please suggest. Is it that
    this module is still not available for windows? If yes please suggest
    me of any other module that will do the same job for me. to be precise
    I want a function that would convert any date i give to its
    corresponding Epoch value.

    Thanks and wating for response with crossed fingures :)

    regrads,

    Nilendu

    Nilendu, Nov 28, 2003

  2. Nilendu

    Bob Walton Guest

    Nilendu wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have run into a very interesting problem.
    > I am using activePerl 5.6.1 on windows.I currently need the Module

    ------------------------^^^^^
    That's a bit old now. Modules being checked out and ported these days
    are probably only showing up on Perl 5.8 PPM sites (compiled modules
    need to be recompiled between 5.6.1 and 5.8, so there are various
    versions of PPM sites).

    > DateTime::Format::Epoch to convert any give date to its corresponding
    > Epoch value.

    > Nilendu

    There are other modules which will accomplish this task which are more
    tried and true (and available for Perl 5.6.1). You might try
    Date::Manip (my favorite) or Date::Calc . Note that you may have to
    define $ENV{TZ} in order for Date::Manip to work since you are running
    on Windoze.

    --
    Bob Walton

    Bob Walton, Nov 28, 2003