Portable Java Data Layer based on JDBC

Discussion in 'Java' started by Albretch, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Albretch

    Albretch Guest

    Hi,

    I, as a java developer, find myself constantly switching among
    different DBMS.

    The JDBC easies it greatly, but I am thinking about a Portable DATA
    Layer kind of functionality to aliviate the problems when you must do
    that.

    Notice I am not talking aobut connection pooling or persistence
    manager!

    Here are some of the problems I would like to rid of my mind:

    1._ A change of DBMS should only require a one-line change in a
    properties files

    DataLayer DL = new DataLayer("_.propeties");

    2._ SQL statements should be declared outside the code entirely, so
    that admin people and DBAs can look at the damage we devs are doing
    :)

    3._ Changes in the SQL statements ('We' constantly change the Data
    Tables and Structures during dev)
    I don't want to have to touch the code if I change the Data layer.
    Say, a new column is included in the Table

    4._ I would love to query a DBMS like you call a method, without
    having to worry about getInt's, and getString's things;

    something like:

    ResultSetRecordsObjs[] RSO02 = DL.preparedStat("SELECT
    ....").getRecordObjects();

    Then you would simply go:

    . Request.setAttribute("RSO02Ar", RSO02);

    . grab the array of objects containing the returned records
    information in a jSP and display the results.

    Notice that only the JSP would have to be changed possibly by a
    knowledgable designer.

    Do you know of something like that already out there (preferably open
    source :))?

    Albretch, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Albretch

    Bryce Guest

    On 17 Jun 2004 14:08:43 -0700, (Albretch) wrote:

    > Do you know of something like that already out there (preferably open
    >source :))?

    IBatis, Hibernate, just to name a couple.

    http://www.ibatis.com/
    is probably closer to what you want.

    http://www.hibernate.org/
    provides a very nice object to relational mapping.

    I'm sure there are many others.

    --
    now with more cowbell

    Bryce, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Albretch

    Liz Guest

    "Bryce" <> wrote in message
    > On 17 Jun 2004 14:08:43 -0700, (Albretch) wrote:
    >
    > > Do you know of something like that already out there (preferably open
    > >source :))?

    > IBatis, Hibernate, just to name a couple.
    >
    > http://www.ibatis.com/
    > is probably closer to what you want.
    >
    > http://www.hibernate.org/
    > provides a very nice object to relational mapping.
    >
    > I'm sure there are many others.
    >
    > --
    > now with more cowbell

    If you limit yourself to the subset of SQL that is standard
    there should be no trouble. Just need to change the name of the Driver.

    Liz, Jun 17, 2004
  4. Gerbrand van Dieijen, Jun 18, 2004
  5. Albretch

    Roedy Green Guest